Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Motorola expects to sell 750,000 Moto Qs in the first three months, 1.5 million in the next 3 months and 3 million in the three months after that. Those are the same numbers racked up by the Razr, the ultra-thin phone whose enduring success has helped the Schaumburg, Ill.-based company pick up market share on industry leader Nokia Corp. since 2004.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1999812

Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 at qusers.com
    For reference, Palm sold somewhere between 120-180K Treo 700w's in it's launch quarter with Verizon (and about 550K total Treos combined between all 650 and 700w's).
    Let's see. How many members of TC are there? What percentage of TC members will get a Q because they _need_ it? (Count me in as soon as Q goes GSM).
    Ah, I see you just registered at Qusers.com today. Me too. I replied to that thread with this:
    The Verizon plan prices will be a hurdle. Verizon/Motorola are pricing the Q at a very attractive price. Definitely a mass-market friendly price. But to truly get the most of this phone you need a data plan, and then you're talking about $80/month minimum. Is that a mass-market-friendly monthly price? I don't think so.

I'd really like to see this thing on Sprint.
    It's worth noting that someone else just replied to that thread and commented that he/she thinks that Motorola's lofty estimates might suggest that the phone will be coming to more carriers soon.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Oh, and remember that Palm's 700w sales numbers aren't necessarily sales to consumers, but most likely sales to Verizon. Of course, Motorola's estimates would be for sales to carriers (rather than consumers) as well, but carriers aren't going to overstock something too much. It does them no good to have boxes sitting in the warehouse.

All that said, we should always take any company's sales estimates with a huge grain of salt.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I agree Scott R,

I believe those estimates were made to their shareholders in one of those shareholder meeting calls about the performance of the company...it is not to their benefit to overstate as they will be adversely effected if they do not deliver!
    I saw another quote by an analyst, who said he did not think Q will move moto's sale numbers even a bit.

Surur
    I really do not see it selling so well on VZW because of the cost. In all honesty I believe I have only seen about three people outside of a verizon store using the 700w. But since this is cheaper, maybe it will sell.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    I really do not see it selling so well on VZW because of the cost. In all honesty I believe I have only seen about three people outside of a verizon store using the 700w. But since this is cheaper, maybe it will sell.

Go to Seattle and you'll a see a boat load of them. Microsoft employees are all carrying them.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I saw another quote by an analyst, who said he did not think Q will move moto's sale numbers even a bit.

Surur
    Well Motorola sold 44 million handsets last quarter (incl 14 million RAZRs), so +/- 750,000 might be considered round off error, even if they hit their targetted sales goal...
    Does Verizon have a 6 month exclusive with the Q?
    I do not know if it is six months but I believe it is at least a few months. Maybe 3. The GSM/UMTS verision is supposed to be out by year's end.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    As it's very possible this is my next device those numbers are waaay inflated. The only way they would achieve those numbers is if they offered it on other carriers....Hmmm maybe they are.
    I'll bet the 700p boosts Treo sales above the 600k mark in 1st 3 months.

600k x $549
    750k x $199

And it would seem that at best the GSM version will be released about the same time as Lowrider....that's gotta eat into Q sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I'll bet the 700p boosts Treo sales above the 600k mark in 1st 3 months.

600k x $549
    750k x $199

And it would seem that at best the GSM version will be released about the same time as Lowrider....that's gotta eat into Q sales.
    Or
    Treo - 200k
    Moto 750k

You seem to assume they are not competing for the same market.

Surur
    If the Q's feature use is simpler, considering what users posts on the Treo boards, there will be no problem for Q to make those sales numbers. Users will vote by usability (new features), stability and price.

The Q is a normal progression from the updated featured phone like RAZR to a full PDA/phone type. Q is positioned directly to sell against the Treo models 700w/700p and 650 with a sweet price.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ...and dont forget.. it looks cooler... is hipper.. and will get you more chicks
    I keep reading that it will be $199 with new 2-year activation, but how much will they charge for the unit if you already have a plan with Verizon?

(Can you see where I'm going with this?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Insurance Guy
    I keep reading that it will be $199 with new 2-year activation, but how much will they charge for the unit if you already have a plan with Verizon?

(Can you see where I'm going with this?)
    I would guess around $399-$499. If $599, that better be unlocked GSM. I would rather get the next 6700 version or one with full WM5 implementation instead.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 05/25/2006 at 02:31 PM.
    I have the 700w, but am thinking of moving to the Moto Q. I want to do the research before I make any move, obviously. If the Q is $399, I can most likely sell my 700w for $300-400, given the current going rate on eBay.
    According to this PC Magazine review it's $420 without a contract. They also state that you can add unlimited data for $40 to a family plan, and use as an example a 700 minute 2-line plan "with a Q" for $110/month. My question would be, does that include unlimited data for both phones on the plan? I might want two Q's, or maybe one 700p and one Q.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast