Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No way they even sell half of that number. How many have actually tried it?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qusers.com
    In an article published yesterday by the Associated Press, Motorola CEO Ed Zander stated that Motorola expects the Q to have the same sales curve as the RAZR.

"Motorola estimates 750,000 sales of the Q in the first 90 days, 1.5 million in the succeeding 90 days and 3 million the three months after that. Those are the same numbers racked up by the Razr, the ultra-thin phone whose enduring success has helped the Schaumburg, Ill.-based company pick up market share on industry leader Nokia Corp. since 2004."
    So 3 million in 9 months...guess we'll have to wait and see... Wonder if I am the first retail sale of those 3 million?!?!? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    According to this PC Magazine review it's $420 without a contract. They also state that you can add unlimited data for $40 to a family plan, and use as an example a 700 minute 2-line plan "with a Q" for $110/month. My question would be, does that include unlimited data for both phones on the plan? I might want two Q's, or maybe one 700p and one Q.
    I click the buy it link, and it said, "Sorry, but it looks like we don not have an exact match for your product request. You found 14 matches for "Printers" in the following categories" - the heck, I am not even looking for printers.

At this point, since they have not published the official price, it's pretty much a guess.

Was there any other references for the estimated selling price?
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtech
    Does Verizon have a 6 month exclusive with the Q?
    The six-month wait for Sprint cost Palm at least one 700w sale. My Treo 600 finally started to fade away (pixel loss on the screen), wanted a 700w, saw Sprint didn't have it, bought a PPC 6700.
    John 3:16-18

Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    How can they expect sales of the Q will match that of the Razr? Not as many people are in the market for a smartphone like the Q as they are a regular cell phone that the Razr is. Also, the Razr is carried by every carrier and the Q is only on Verizon.
    You probably wont be able to buy a Q without a data plan, most people want nothing to do with the $40 upcharge for data.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    You can buy it without a data plan (i did) but you wont get the $100 data plan discount.
    How much did you pay for it? (w/o the data plan)
    I wouldn't be surprised. But it's not competing with Treo directly. Overall it will help the popularity of PDA phones.
    My only question is HOW LONG TO THE GSM version?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahmeanz
    How can they expect sales of the Q will match that of the Razr? Not as many people are in the market for a smartphone like the Q as they are a regular cell phone that the Razr is. Also, the Razr is carried by every carrier and the Q is only on Verizon.

Sprint?
    I guess not many of thise 750k gonna agree with this guy

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...otorola_q.html
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Or
    Treo - 200k
    Moto 750k

You seem to assume they are not competing for the same market.

Surur
    Treos have sold 500-600k every quarter for what 7 quarters ?...11 ? There has always been competition...it just doesn't measure up....at least not yet. With Treo 700p already getting one Editor's Choice in a major trade mag, Q's gonna need some more buzz to knock Treo down IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I guess not many of thise 750k gonna agree with this guy

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...otorola_q.html
    PalmAddict is such a stupid website. They sprout such nonsense, and dont give you anywhere to respond. Lets just say if Palm produced the exact same device as the Moto Q it would be seem as the Second Coming of Christ.

Surur
    Treos have sold 500-600k every quarter for what 7 quarters ?...11 ? There has always been competition...it just doesn't measure up....at least not yet. With Treo 700p already getting one Editor's Choice in a major trade mag, Q's gonna need some more buzz to knock Treo down IMO.
    There is going to be a much bigger contrast between devices when the Q is put up next to the Treo. This coupled with the lower price, more stylish form factor, and more established larger OEM (Motorola) speaks of danger to Palm's growth plans, and they may even lose the casual Palm loyalist up-graders.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    According to this PC Magazine review it's $420 without a contract. They also state that you can add unlimited data for $40 to a family plan, and use as an example a 700 minute 2-line plan "with a Q" for $110/month. My question would be, does that include unlimited data for both phones on the plan? I might want two Q's, or maybe one 700p and one Q.
    PC Mag just gace Editor's choice to 700p.

From the link you posted:

The 700p comes with Microsoft Office document editors (not just viewers), has a higher-res screen, runs on both Verizon and Sprint, and is both faster and less buggy than the Q. On the other hand, it costs $200 more and is considerably chubbier. So while the 700p retains the Editors' Choice crown, the Q is an excellent machine and a terrific choice.
    OK, given the choice...who wants the slower, biggier one with the crappy screen which can't edit office docs ? Looks like the Q will compete with lowider rather than the 700p
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Treo sales have been growing consistently, but has only recently reached the level of 500K:

http://www.slamblog.com/2006/03/all_time_treo_s.html
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Looks like the Q will compete with lowider rather than the 700p
    Probably true.. people who need the power of the 700 series will perhaps not consider the Q.

But as for Lowrider, according to the sketchy Sagio report, Lowrider was said to be priced at >$300 and employ last-gen radios. Not likely to fare well against the Q, which at $200, is not much more than the cheapest EV-DO phone you can buy, to say nothing of it's smartphone capabilities. The Q has set the bar pretty high for the low end smartphone market; the fact that PC Mag mentions it in the same breath as the Treo 700's (which cost roughly 2X as much) speaks volumes.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I think you will see a major marketing push from Motorola for this thing... they are a huge company with huge amounts of money to spend on advertising...holding the two side by side on looks and feel alone it would be hard to choose the 700 over a Q...or any other device right now on the market... this thing really has a killer form factor and I can see it being the next big hip thing to have regardless of the OS or how well/bad it works.
    Moto needs to fix the bugginess, but for the 80% of Treo users who never edit word documents it must be looking rather attractive. If I was Moto I would bunddle it with some A2DP headphones, a free trial with URGE and a 1 GB memory card, and call it the new ROKR. At least it would hold >100 songs.

Surur
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast