1.    #1  
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7...?tag=cnetfd.sd

"You can view (but not edit) Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF files."

how lame...
    How many blackberry users create word documents on their devices?

Surur
    That's with the bundled apps. There may already be a 3rd party solution and, if not, there likely will be. Personally, I've never had need to edit an Office file on my 650 and only rarely have had need to even view one. YMMV.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I know it's personal for eveyone but I write letters to clients all the time on my 650. Could deal with out it but I would be too happy. Save me a lot of time & $!
    3rd party apps will take care of that, just another example of if the customer doesn't need it then don't charge him for it $199
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7...?tag=cnetfd.sd

"You can view (but not edit) Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF files."

how lame...
    I think that's a limitation of Smartphone Edition, isn't it? Yet another reason I prefer PPC or PPC Phone Editions.
    It's a "limitation" in that MS isn't bundling those apps. It's not a limitation in the sense that it can't be done.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    It's a "limitation" in that MS isn't bundling those apps. It's not a limitation in the sense that it can't be done.
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but you can't get a "Word: Smartphone Edition" -- you have to go to a 3rd party to get some kind of Word editor, correct? If that's the case that it's not that MS isn't bundling it, its that the program doesn't exist?

Not trying to be coy...just trying to understand...If you want to edit office docs you will HAVE to use a 3rd party application, no?
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Strike 4
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Strike 4
    Now that's helpful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but you can't get a "Word: Smartphone Edition" -- you have to go to a 3rd party to get some kind of Word editor, correct? If that's the case that it's not that MS isn't bundling it, its that the program doesn't exist?

Not trying to be coy...just trying to understand...If you want to edit office docs you will HAVE to use a 3rd party application, no?
    But the PPC and PPC Phone does have fully functional Word, right? I haven't used Mobile Office yet, but in case I need to, I don't want to get caught off guard. But I did always think the PPC versions had fully functional Office apps and that is a definite benefit over Smartphone. If so, I won't care what anyone else thinks, I think the full versions are better. UNLESS you don't need all that.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Yes, they have not ported over versions of Word Mobile, Excel Mobile and Powerpoint Mobile to the Smartphone edition of WM5....also does not have Terminal Services Client....other than that it has everything that the PocketPC edition of WM5 has....(I think...could of forgotten something but im pretty sure that's it).
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Lady Treo, I consider you a rather advanced user but if you havent used them yet then you wouldnt know what your missing

Oh, and I wouldnt call the Mobile versions exactly fully functional
    One thing that sucks (and I run into a lot) is the fact that Excel Mobile will NOT open password protected files
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Yes, they have not ported over versions of Word Mobile, Excel Mobile and Powerpoint Mobile to the Smartphone edition of WM5....also does not have Terminal Services Client....other than that it has everything that the PocketPC edition of WM5 has....(I think...could of forgotten something but im pretty sure that's it).
    Does MS include an office doc VIEWER as part of the OS or is that also a 3rd party offering?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Does MS include an office doc VIEWER as part of the OS or is that also a 3rd party offering?
    Not that I know of... will ask Microsoft if WM6 does next time we meet...(if I dont forget)... I do know the Q will come with some type of viewer app for word/excel/pdf but dont know who's... my money is on clearvue as I think they included theirs on some of their other devices....
    Nokia E61 office suit has the ability to edit even powerpoint presentation.
    It's an important feature for almost everyone.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Lady Treo, I consider you a rather advanced user but if you havent used them yet then you wouldnt know what your missing

Oh, and I wouldnt call the Mobile versions exactly fully functional
    One thing that sucks (and I run into a lot) is the fact that Excel Mobile will NOT open password protected files
    Well my laptop is a constant companion, but I use Word a lot. If I get stuck without my laptop one day, Mobile Word might come in handy, as long as I can copy Word files to the PPC and be able to edit them.
    They are apparently bundling Picsel viewer.

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    They are apparently bundling Picsel viewer.

Surur
    Yup read that at qusers tonight... looking forward to trying it out tomorrow if they really do ship it to me like they said they were...