Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. jegs2's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
       #1  
    My old faithful Handspring Treo 600, which replaced the even more faithful Handspring Visor Prism with Sprint PCS Digital Link has at long-last been replaced ... with a Sprint Pocket PC 6700. Never thought I'd do it, but perhaps it was the refusal to purchase a device devoid of the ole Handspring logo, or perhaps just wanted to at long-last try a Pocket PC. Probably would have bought the Treo 700w, but Sprint didn't have it. So far, I'm impressed with the device, with my two major gripes being first its bulkiness and then the ease at which the stylus disappears (you gotta click it in all the way). Love the bluetooth voice dialing feature, and I downloaded the original Wolfenstein 3d for the phone last night for free - sweeeeet.

    So, greetings from the Dark Side!
    John 3:16-18

    Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
  2. #2  
    Please leave...now

    j/k
  3. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jegs2
    My old faithful Handspring Treo 600, which replaced the even more faithful Handspring Visor Prism with Sprint PCS Digital Link has at long-last been replaced ... with a Sprint Pocket PC 6700. Never thought I'd do it, but perhaps it was the refusal to purchase a device devoid of the ole Handspring logo, or perhaps just wanted to at long-last try a Pocket PC. Probably would have bought the Treo 700w, but Sprint didn't have it. So far, I'm impressed with the device, with my two major gripes being first its bulkiness and then the ease at which the stylus disappears (you gotta click it in all the way). Love the bluetooth voice dialing feature, and I downloaded the original Wolfenstein 3d for the phone last night for free - sweeeeet.

    So, greetings from the Dark Side!
    I loved my 6700 for the first 4-6 hours. Then I started to hate the fact that it was always dialing out on it's own while in my case and being transported. So I downloaded lots of patches and software to "fix" that. Still didn't cure it.

    It was starting to bother me by hour 12.

    On the second I was enjoying all the multimedia aps and EV-DO. Cool. Really cool.

    On the third day (Monday) I took it off the charger at 7:30 a.m. and started using it as a phone for business throughout the day. When I hit 1:45 p.m. the battery expired. I ran home and grabbed my sync/charger cable and came back. Plugged it in. Fine.

    At 4:00...having had to use the phone tethered to the wall for 2 hours, I decided to take it off the charge cable and head out the door. Wow...45% battery. I drove home -- a 45 minute drive. 28% battery. Weee.

    At 5:00 I plugged the thing back in...let it charge until 9:00. Loaded up Gotomypc.com and checked the office computer from home. Cool. Too bad everything was so tiny and not very practical except for emergency use...

    Day four. After a fully charged night -- took the PPC 6700 out of the cradle and headed out the door. In the car and on the phone all day. Whoops. Not quite. Battery died at 12:15...right in the middle of lunch. Luckily, I had the charger cable with me. Tethered it to the cigarette lighter...

    Upon review of call log after lunch, I discovered at least 15 phone calls in my outgoing log that were NOT made by me. Hmmmm.....the phone has a life of it's own.

    Day Five: Hello, Mr. Sprint Rep. I'd like to replace this 6700 with a real phone. The PDA is cool, but I hate this sucker as a phone.

    Hope your experience is FAR better than mine!! I think it's a really cool device -- but I need a "real" phone way too much to be sidetracked by the "extras"...
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    Please leave...now

    j/k
    Jealous?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I loved my 6700 for the first 4-6 hours. Then I started to hate the fact that it was always dialing out on it's own while in my case and being transported. So I downloaded lots of patches and software to "fix" that. Still didn't cure it.

    It was starting to bother me by hour 12.

    On the second I was enjoying all the multimedia aps and EV-DO. Cool. Really cool.

    On the third day (Monday) I took it off the charger at 7:30 a.m. and started using it as a phone for business throughout the day. When I hit 1:45 p.m. the battery expired. I ran home and grabbed my sync/charger cable and came back. Plugged it in. Fine.

    At 4:00...having had to use the phone tethered to the wall for 2 hours, I decided to take it off the charge cable and head out the door. Wow...45% battery. I drove home -- a 45 minute drive. 28% battery. Weee.

    At 5:00 I plugged the thing back in...let it charge until 9:00. Loaded up Gotomypc.com and checked the office computer from home. Cool. Too bad everything was so tiny and not very practical except for emergency use...

    Day four. After a fully charged night -- took the PPC 6700 out of the cradle and headed out the door. In the car and on the phone all day. Whoops. Not quite. Battery died at 12:15...right in the middle of lunch. Luckily, I had the charger cable with me. Tethered it to the cigarette lighter...

    Upon review of call log after lunch, I discovered at least 15 phone calls in my outgoing log that were NOT made by me. Hmmmm.....the phone has a life of it's own.

    Day Five: Hello, Mr. Sprint Rep. I'd like to replace this 6700 with a real phone. The PDA is cool, but I hate this sucker as a phone.

    Hope your experience is FAR better than mine!! I think it's a really cool device -- but I need a "real" phone way too much to be sidetracked by the "extras"...
    Can't speak for the Apache (6700) but the Wizard (Cingular 8125) has been rock solid in comparison to both my Treo 600 then 650 (Sprint) and Treo 650 (Cingular).

    Never have had battery or dial-out problems (without WiFi, I can go the entire weekend with my regular calls and checking email every 20 minutes during prime time - that would have flattened my old Treo 650 by Sunday morning). Not a single reset since February 17 (I have reset for new program installations only). With the addition of Smartskeys (free) it is a good one-handed device; paid for MS Voice Command ($30) and it works wonders in dialing any entry in my contacts, dialing spoken phone numbers, or controlling programs - all with no prior training.

    Don't even get me started on the advantages of WiFi at home and office (But, I will admit, EV-DO has a leg up on EDGE; but doesn't the 6700 have EV-DO?)

    AND BEST OF ALL - not a SINGLE "what did you say" phone conversation on one or both ends of the conversation like my Treo 650.

    Welcome to the Dark Side jegs2.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6. #6  
    BTW - now that there is a Treo 700W, is this still the "Dark Side" anymore?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  7. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #7  
    WM5 is the dark side, and the force is strong. To make sure you don't have dialing out problems do 2 things. I lock it so that only the power button turns the phone on. I also ALWAYS hit the red end button to bring me to the Today screen before turning it off. I never turn the phone off in the phone dialer screen. Otherwise you will end up calling your girlfriends husband... Just joking, but you may call someone accidently. LOL
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    ...Otherwise you will end up calling your girlfriends husband...
    Maybe there should be a warning label...UNSCHEDULED DIALING OUT MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  9. jegs2's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Hope your experience is FAR better than mine!! I think it's a really cool device -- but I need a "real" phone way too much to be sidetracked by the "extras"...
    Sounds like you had a demon phone. I've had I think one dialout on its own for the month I've had it, and while the battery isn't nearly so nice as my old Treo 600, I've not had that much trouble with my phone going dead - it did so once when I left it alone without charging it for three days. Really, I haven't had nearly so much trouble with my device, though I have lost two styli so far.
    John 3:16-18

    Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
  10. #10  
    Im finding that the darkside is very BRIGHT. loving my WM5. dstrauss you update your ROM?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    Im finding that the darkside is very BRIGHT. loving my WM5. dstrauss you update your ROM?
    The dark side is a lot brighter than most will admit. Mossberg (I mean "Haggar") doesn't like non-Palm instruments.

    No, I haven't upgraded ROM yet. Time's kinda short right now, and I keep hoping Cingular will get it out soon enough - its been running pretty good by itself.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  12. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    #12  
    DS, upgrading the ROM is actually not very difficult, plus you can revert to the old Cingular ROM whenever you want. I recommend you do it, my 8125 experience has vastly improved with it.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

    Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    DS, upgrading the ROM is actually not very difficult, plus you can revert to the old Cingular ROM whenever you want. I recommend you do it, my 8125 experience has vastly improved with it.
    Thanks CPcrazyfly and jlczl - I'll give it a try this weekend if time permits.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  14. #14  
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to also chime in and recommend upgrading the ROM on the 8125. I thought the device was great too and was going to wait for the official ROM.....but I upgraded to a custom ROM (Sumiter's 2.17 WWE from xda developers site). It is so much faster and DirectPush is very nice. Haven't tried the A2DP yet bjt look forward to it when I finally spring for nice stereo BT headphones. ROM update only takes 10 minutes.
  15. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to also chime in and recommend upgrading the ROM on the 8125. I thought the device was great too and was going to wait for the official ROM.....but I upgraded to a custom ROM (Sumiter's 2.17 WWE from xda developers site). It is so much faster and DirectPush is very nice. Haven't tried the A2DP yet bjt look forward to it when I finally spring for nice stereo BT headphones. ROM update only takes 10 minutes.
    As long as we're revisiting this thread. I guess I need to chime in...I'm headed down the dark path once again because I need to. It's not a want in my case...and, unfortunately, my new 6700 should be here by the 8th or 9th.

    I am looking forward to it almost as much as my last root canal.

    Nonetheless, I'll trick this baby out and be the envy of everyone I meet.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    As long as we're revisiting this thread. I guess I need to chime in...I'm headed down the dark path once again because I need to. It's not a want in my case...and, unfortunately, my new 6700 should be here by the 8th or 9th.

    I am looking forward to it almost as much as my last root canal.

    Nonetheless, I'll trick this baby out and be the envy of everyone I meet.
    By all means, keep a diary for us debating our next smartphone purchase.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  17. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    By all means, keep a diary for us debating our next smartphone purchase.
    Or your last one?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    As long as we're revisiting this thread. I guess I need to chime in...I'm headed down the dark path once again because I need to. It's not a want in my case...and, unfortunately, my new 6700 should be here by the 8th or 9th.

    I am looking forward to it almost as much as my last root canal.

    Nonetheless, I'll trick this baby out and be the envy of everyone I meet.
    Haggar - Out of curiousity, what is the reason that you need to get the 6700? Is it a particular functionality you need? Hope the 2nd time around is a little better for you. It took me a solid week to be efficient with the Cingular 8125. This device is definitely more of a laptop replacement than the treo was.

    Good Luck!
  19. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    Haggar - Out of curiousity, what is the reason that you need to get the 6700? Is it a particular functionality you need? Hope the 2nd time around is a little better for you. It took me a solid week to be efficient with the Cingular 8125. This device is definitely more of a laptop replacement than the treo was.

    Good Luck!
    I was pretty efficient with the 6700...I'm just not a fan of WM5 with regard to it's contact management and phone capabilities. I really love it as a PDA and "mini-laptop".

    The reason I need the 6700 is simply for remote desktop capabilities. The company I'm going to be working for uses some web-based management systems and I'll need to be able to access those systems remotely.

    Unfortunately, neither PIE or Blazer (or any other "pocket" browser) is capable of using this system...the only way I can run it is from a full blow version of IE. So, I'll have a desktop set up back in my home office and use LogMeIn or GoToMyPC.com to access the desktop in order to browse the corporate system remotely.

    Kinda a convoluted way of doing things, but it's the best option right now. Thankfully I won't need to do more than grab some very basic info from the system -- a tiny PDA screen is not ideal for this kind of application...but it's definitely better than having to drive across town to get the info...

    BTW - most of the time, I'll simply use my laptop to access the info I need...but I have found over the years that I always have a PDA. Once I got away from "needing" my laptop and using a PDA for 80% of my work I found it very freeing. I still need a laptop for doing the "dirty work" but for basic communications and data entry work the PDA works fast enough and without all the BULK that a laptop brings..
  20. #20  
    You should consider trying Bitstreams Thunderhawk browser. It works similarly to remote desktop, in that pages are rendered remotely on their server, and only the graphics sent to your device. It also uses a special font using sub-pixel rendering, which means they can fit a whole lot more into a QVGA screen. Because it is rendered remotely it has better javascript and Ajax support that most mobile browsers.



    http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/pr...tpc/index.html
    http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=502

    Surur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions