Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I was pretty efficient with the 6700...I'm just not a fan of WM5 with regard to it's contact management and phone capabilities. I really love it as a PDA and "mini-laptop".

The reason I need the 6700 is simply for remote desktop capabilities. The company I'm going to be working for uses some web-based management systems and I'll need to be able to access those systems remotely.

Unfortunately, neither PIE or Blazer (or any other "pocket" browser) is capable of using this system...the only way I can run it is from a full blow version of IE. So, I'll have a desktop set up back in my home office and use LogMeIn or GoToMyPC.com to access the desktop in order to browse the corporate system remotely.

Kinda a convoluted way of doing things, but it's the best option right now. Thankfully I won't need to do more than grab some very basic info from the system -- a tiny PDA screen is not ideal for this kind of application...but it's definitely better than having to drive across town to get the info...

BTW - most of the time, I'll simply use my laptop to access the info I need...but I have found over the years that I always have a PDA. Once I got away from "needing" my laptop and using a PDA for 80% of my work I found it very freeing. I still need a laptop for doing the "dirty work" but for basic communications and data entry work the PDA works fast enough and without all the BULK that a laptop brings..

I see. I really like LogMeIn. I use it on my WM5 device. Works really well. I just have the remote desktop feature (free). The file browsing is nice but didn't use it enough to justify paying for it after the free trial was over.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    You should consider trying Bitstreams Thunderhawk browser. It works similarly to remote desktop, in that pages are rendered remotely on their server, and only the graphics sent to your device. It also uses a special font using sub-pixel rendering, which means they can fit a whole lot more into a QVGA screen. Because it is rendered remotely it has better javascript and Ajax support that most mobile browsers.

http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/pr...tpc/index.html
    http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=502

Surur
    THANK YOU! I had no idea this product existed. It looks like a real winner and I'll definitely give it a try when my 6700 arrives.

I curious to know -- from their server's perspective, are they telling the host that I'm using IE? I think the web site I'm going to be logging in to checks the browser ID to insure its IE. To my knowledge it isn't using activeX - but they want to amke sure that everything renders according to plan (a lot of users who access this system are compeltely technophobic so they've dumbed everything down as much as possible...).
    It claims to be IE 5, but you can change the user agent strong to whatever browser you want to. Of note also is that you could change the user agent string of PIE to claim to be IE6 for example, and your web apps may actually work directly. It is a registry setting, and there a lot of utilities that allow you to change this.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    THANK YOU! I had no idea this product existed. It looks like a real winner and I'll definitely give it a try when my 6700 arrives.

I curious to know -- from their server's perspective, are they telling the host that I'm using IE? I think the web site I'm going to be logging in to checks the browser ID to insure its IE. To my knowledge it isn't using activeX - but they want to amke sure that everything renders according to plan (a lot of users who access this system are compeltely technophobic so they've dumbed everything down as much as possible...).
    unless they mdified Thunderhawk you will hae the way it forces you to flip the 6700 over to view things sideways. the buttons are all on the worng side at that time. I tried and removed for that reason.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    unless they mdified Thunderhawk you will hae the way it forces you to flip the 6700 over to view things sideways. the buttons are all on the worng side at that time. I tried and removed for that reason.
    How long ago was this? Do you remember which version you used?

EDIT:

Just pulled this from their support site:

Can I rotate my Pocket PC in the other direction and still use ThunderHawk?

Yes. You can change the orientation of ThunderHawk to use a right-handed (RH) or left-handed (LH) landscape orientation.

To change the landscape orientation of ThunderHawk:

Tap the checkmark icon on the keypad to bring up ThunderHawk User Options.
    Tap the Advanced tab.
    Choose RH-Landscape or LH-Landscape in the Orientation drop-down.
    Click Ok.
    ThunderHawk preserves this orientation whenever you run it.

Bitstream has discovered a possible conflict that occurs if you launch ThunderHawk, and then open or close the left sliding keyboard during the browsing session. ThunderHawk engineers are working to resolve this problem and will issue an update when it is fixed.

NOTE: If you have a built-in slide-out keyboard on your device, keep the keyboard in one position (opened or closed) for the duration of your ThunderHawk browsing session.

is this what you were referring to?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I will admit to not reading every post in this thread so if someone already mentioned this suggestion that is the reason.

The suggestion is that those of you who have had the phone dial out unexpectedly might benefit from locking the device, using either the 'Device Lock' or the Password to prevent the screen and keys from acccess, and the problem should dissappear.

I wouldn't think that this 'problem' is also bypasing the device lock or pasword screens.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12