Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes sports fans, the Moto Q (on Verizon) is $200 LESS than the coveted 700p:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...nnounce-q-199/

Of course, the "p" gets you a touch screen, which I dearly love, and the beloved "Frankengarnet" OS, but what else supports the vast price difference? Both are EV-DO devices (carrying the common tradition of "We don't need no stinkin' WiFi!"). The "Q" is LESS THAN 1/2" thick, so much for Treo pocketability superiority.

Okay - so tell me again why we have to pay 2X for the 700p?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    We're "loyal" to Palm.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    The Q uses Windows Mobile Smartphone edition which is stripped down form regular WM5. Adding in licensing from kinoma to play WMV, Docs to Go and PTunes adds some cost as well.
    The Q looks very nice I must say. I don't know about no touchscreen though, but it looks like it will be a hit. I'm surrised that it's priced that cheap.
    Jimmie Geddes
    It looks OK, but i guess your getting what you pay for.

The "Q" is LESS THAN 1/2" thick, so much for Treo pocketability superiority.
    That's just less of it to love

This thread is almost the same as asking why a BMW is more expensive than a Daewoo

Palm's got a huge following, atleast more than the Q
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Palm gets to have their way with Palm OS fans because they're the only game in town. Sprint's cheaper plans will help a bit, too.

But I predict that Verizon Treo 700w sales are about to tank big time!

BTW, I'm no expert on WM Smartpohone edition, but I have a feeling that I know more than some others here. I'm pretty sure that other than the lack of a touchscreen, there's nothing that a WM Smartphone can't do that a WM PPC Phone Edition (e.g. 700w) can. The 700w has a full sized SD slot w/Wi-Fi support but the Q has a 320x240 screen and better one-hand navigation. I think this Q could be a 700w-killer.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Palm gets to have their way with Palm OS fans because they're the only game in town. Sprint's cheaper plans will help a bit, too.

But I predict that Verizon Treo 700w sales are about to tank big time!

BTW, I'm no expert on WM Smartpohone edition, but I have a feeling that I know more than some others here. I'm pretty sure that other than the lack of a touchscreen, there's nothing that a WM Smartphone can't do that a WM PPC Phone Edition (e.g. 700w) can. The 700w has a full sized SD slot w/Wi-Fi support but the Q has a 320x240 screen and better one-hand navigation. I think this Q could be a 700w-killer.
    I see your point but to call the Q a 700w killer may be pushing it. I think that the 700p & Q will help to "hurt", not kill the 700w sales but you must also remember why people buy the way they do. Economics 101 has taught me that people will pay more for a name brand product over something else. This enables these companies to put less into the product and still have phenomenal sales. Just recently, inferior products such as the ipod (music world), Acura RL(Car World) and ofcourse the infamous beta vs. vhs have proven that there are more factors then just price.

Edit: I must add that this is coming from my Point of View, which views the Palm Treo as a more "known" product than the "Q". I could, however, be wrong about that
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    It looks OK, but i guess your getting what you pay for.

That's just less of it to love

This thread is almost the same as asking why a BMW is more expensive than a Daewoo

Palm's got a huge following, atleast more than the Q
    You're comparing Palm OS to BMW and WM5 to Daewoo?

How many WM5 devices have you ever used?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You're comparing Palm OS to BMW and WM5 to Daewoo?

How many WM5 devices have you ever used?
    No
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  10.    #10  
    I see your point but to call the Q a 700w killer may be pushing it. I think that the 700p & Q will help to "hurt", not kill the 700w sales but you must also remember why people buy the way they do. Economics 101 has taught me that people will pay more for a name brand product over something else. This enables these companies to put less into the product and still have phenomenal sales. Just recently, inferior products such as the ipod (music world), Acura RL(Car World) and ofcourse the infamous beta vs. vhs have proven that there are more factors then just price.
    Please stop mixing your analogies. The ipod and Acura RL are "higher price" but "superior" products that win in the marketplace, while vhs was a clearly inferior and less expensive product, yet prevailed. Scott is right - teh "Q" WILL kill 700w sales - why do you want to purchase a more exepnsive device (2X) WITHOUT EV-DO support?

Edit: I must add that this is coming from my Point of View, which views the Palm Treo as a more "known" product than the "Q". I could, however, be wrong about that

try again...these comparisons make no sense
    Please stop mixing your analogies. The ipod and Acura RL are "higher price" but "superior" products that win in the marketplace, while vhs was a clearly inferior and less expensive product, yet prevailed. Scott is right - teh "Q" WILL kill 700w sales - why do you want to purchase a more exepnsive device (2X) WITHOUT EV-DO support?
    Actually i mixed the analogies but you did not pick up on it. The Acura RL was lowered priced, when compared to the BMW, Mercedes and considered a bargin, but sales are abysmal. The same can be said in the case of the VW phantom.

The Ipod is higher priced with less of a value, when compared to devices with FM tuners and a plethora of things the ipod will never offer, but are/were selling out.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    The Q will be great for non-power users. With no touchscreen and stripped down WM5, there are a lot of apps that won't work on it.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    My point is people aren't always going to go for the best value. This is why Palm and Apple (Ipod only) can offer less in thier product and still outsell most of thier competition.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    ??? I thought they all have EVDO.

The w has the advantage of running the full WM OS instead of Q's DumbphoneOS, but with its RAM, it almost negates the advantage.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    The Q will be great for non-power users. With no touchscreen and stripped down WM5, there are a lot of apps that won't work on it.
    And though thinner, it is also wider and longer. so its not really all that much more "pocketable." $200 cheaper though! If it goes to Sprint, it'll be a deal. On VZW though, the plans are so much more expensive.
    You could probably add WIFI using a mini-SD WIFI card such as this:

http://www.superetrader.co.uk/specte...ard-p-446.html

It would stick out as much as this, but the slot is much higher on the Q, so it should not interfere too much with holding the device.

http://mobilitytoday.com/news.php?n=...00_minisd_wifi

Surur
    with EV-DO enabled data plans to run between $80 and $170 per month, depending on your usage. And don't you even think about tethering this thing, mister.
    Quote from article
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Why are people referring to WM Smartphone as "stripped-down WM" and a "dumbphone" OS.? I think you are misinformed about what WM5 Smartphone edition is capable of.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I never understand why the Treo user base claims the one-handed superiority of the Treo but then wants a touch screen. If it is one-handed wouldn't you need the second hand to operate the touch screen part? Seems like an empty arguement to me...
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast