Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    How much is the Q without a contract?
    Also, how did Verizon data go up to $80 from $45??? I saw that in both the article and some other post. $80 is more than many minutes plans, YIKES!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    You must have some very long thumbs.
    No, you must have very poor dexterity. With my thumb on the 5 way, I can easily reach up to the top of the screen, or down to the lowest row of the keyboard. I use my thumb to tap on screen icons all the time. Generally much easier than tabbing through a bunch of on-screen buttons using the 5 way.

I find this argument amusing. Not one of the posters talking about how wonderful the Motorola is going to be has actually used one. Maybe you should wait to see how it works in the wild before betting so heavily on it. Maybe it'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Or maybe it'll be a dog, like the ROKR.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    The smaller keys have apparently provided more space in between each key, most likely preventing against pressing a specific letter accidentally and lessening the need to have each key so large.

This most likely compensates for the size of each individual key.
    Sounds like a good theory, but I'm not sure real world experience suports it. The 600 had smaller keys, further apart. The 650 has larger keys, and is much easier to type on. And I don't hear any significant complaints about hitting 2 keys at a time.

The 700W has even larger keys than the 650, and by all accounts is even better for typing.
    Bob Meyer
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Please stop mixing your analogies. The ipod and Acura RL are "higher price" but "superior" products that win in the marketplace, while vhs was a clearly inferior and less expensive product, yet prevailed. Scott is right - teh "Q" WILL kill 700w sales - why do you want to purchase a more exepnsive device (2X) WITHOUT EV-DO support?

Because the 700w is the complete version of WM5 and also a complete PDA phone, I'm not sure the Q will "kill" but like the other poster said, it could hurt. The memory on the 700w is lacking, no doubt about that, but WM5 Smartphone is not as functional. But if you don't need the complete functions of WM5, the Q is a better choice because you can save money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    $80 is more than many minutes plans, YIKES!!
    $45 is a disgrace in itself.

I find this argument amusing. Not one of the posters talking about how wonderful the Motorola is going to be has actually used one. Maybe you should wait to see how it works in the wild before betting so heavily on it. Maybe it'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Or maybe it'll be a dog, like the ROKR.
    I don't know if the argument is how wonderful the Q is. I think it is how much of a value is it when compared to the W, regardless of if its sales are embarrasing upon release. I do see some value in it when priced so low and inquired if anyone else holds the same, or differing, opinions. Its just a thread for debate about the q vs. W's value, nothing more. Thanks for your input though
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Sounds like a good theory, but I'm not sure real world experience suports it. The 600 had smaller keys, further apart. The 650 has larger keys, and is much easier to type on. And I don't hear any significant complaints about hitting 2 keys at a time.

The 700W has even larger keys than the 650, and by all accounts is even better for typing.
    As you said, it was, at best, a theory. I have never owned any treo, although have used the 650 & 700W. 700P will be the first
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Are you crazy? I'm positive that Motorola's first full sized smartphone is gonna be fantastic! What does Palm know about making smartphones or pdas even? Motorola is expert! Look at how fantastic the Razr is! Have you used one? I'm sure there will be zero bugs!
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, add this to your config.sys file

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\EMM386.SYS RAM
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    Does that go above or below FILES=128?

Haggar - you got a spare NEC Multisync you want to get rid of?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Care to list some of the trade-offs?

I am, without trying to be condescending, interested in how they got the price that low without taking a loss per device sold. Care to shed some light on why the 700w is, ATLEAST, $100 superior? Preferably, without "the keys are smaller on the Q" argument

Gracias
    Someone already has. No mobile office software. MS likely charges significantly more for the full WM5 than they do for the stripper version. That's likely a fair bit of the cost difference right there. And adding a bunch of 3rd party software to make up for the missing pieces will probably add a good $100 on to the price of the Q.
    Bob Meyer
    The 700 keys are much better for typing.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    Are you crazy? I'm positive that Motorola's first full sized smartphone is gonna be fantastic! What does Palm know about making smartphones or pdas even? Motorola is expert! Look at how fantastic the Razr is! Have you used one? I'm sure there will be zero bugs!
    Lol, i guess you decided to go against making your sarcasm subtle
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    I agree $45 is high. Data can't stay around $30 for some reason? Maybe even $35, but anything over equals many minutes plans. Why don't they offer combined minutes and data plans package?
    The 700W has 32mb of ram memory - a large part of the problem causing its heartburn.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0w+32mb+memory

That's what you should be concerned about. All of the manufacturers fudge on memory count (just like EPA gas mileage - it may vary). But the key is 32 v 64. I can't imagine less than 64mb of ram in any WM5 device - PPC or smartphone. It is the one place where Palm OS has WM5 beat hands down is in OS utilization.
    Below are the specs from Phonescoop. Treo 700w actually has twice the flash memory of the Q. It is a fact that the Treo 700w only has 32mb of RAM, but I don't know/am not sure if the Q has 64mb of RAM.

Motorola Q
    Specifications Compare side-by-side vs...
    Modes CDMA 850 / CDMA 1900
    Weight 4.06 oz (115 g)
    Dimensions 4.57" x 2.52" x 0.47" (116 x 64 x 12 mm)
    Form Factor Bar
    Internal Antenna
    Battery Life Talk: 4.00 hours (240 minutes)
    Standby: 192 hours (8 days)
    Battery Type LiIon
    1130 mAh
    Display Type: LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
    Colors: 65,536 (16-bit)
    Size: 320 x 240 pixels
    Platform / OS Windows Mobile for Smartphones
    version 5
    Memory 64 MB (built-in, flash shared memory)
    Phone Book Capacity shared memory
    FCC ID IHDT56FQ1 (Approved Dec 14, 2005)

Treo 700w

Weight 6.00 oz (170 g)
    Dimensions 4.40" x 2.30" x 0.90" (112 x 58 x 23 mm)
    Form Factor Bar
    Stub Antenna
    Battery Life Talk: 4.50 hours (270 minutes)
    Standby: 360 hours (15 days)
    Battery Type LiIon
    Size: 240 x 240 pixels
    Platform / OS Windows Mobile for Pocket PCs
    version 5.0
    Memory 128 MB (built-in, flash shared memory) Phone Book Capacity shared memory
    FCC ID O8FJIMI (Approved Oct 18, 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    LOL I see your humor but think you missed the point. It's a little more functional then a pad and pencil and will attract a larger user base who just doesn't need a laptop squeezed into a tiny device. If I was a betting man I bet the Q outsells the 700.
    Hmm, and that's supposed to be a brilliant prediction? A basic Nokia cell phone will outsell both. Cheaper products generally sell in higher volumes than more expensive ones. Palm doesn't expect to outsell Nokia, and they probably don't expect to outsell the Q. They're 2 different products, with different capabilities, targeted at different audiences.
    Bob Meyer
    Someone already has. No mobile office software. MS likely charges significantly more for the full WM5 than they do for the stripper version. That's likely a fair bit of the cost difference right there. And adding a bunch of 3rd party software to make up for the missing pieces will probably add a good $100 on to the price of the Q.
    Now, if only that came out of Roam's mouth/computer, he would have gotten some of his credibility back
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  16.    #176  
    You know what's amazing - it's so boring in the Treo camp that my little question has generated a full afternoon of entertainment. Or could it be the insecurity of the Treo 700 camp (present and future) that rises to the top when their hero is challenged?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Haggar - you got a spare NEC Multisync you want to get rid of?
    Sorry...since they invented Freecycle I no longer hold on to antiquities like I used to...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Below are the specs from Phonescoop. Treo 700w actually has twice the flash memory of the Q. It is a fact that the Treo 700w only has 32mb of RAM, but I don't know/am not sure if the Q has 64mb of RAM.

Motorola Q
    Weight 4.06 oz (115 g)
    Dimensions 4.57" x 2.52" x 0.47" (116 x 64 x 12 mm)
    Form Factor Bar
    Internal Antenna
    Battery Life Talk: 4.00 hours (240 minutes)
    Standby: 192 hours (8 days)
    Battery Type LiIon
    1130 mAh
    Colors: 65,536 (16-bit)
    Size: 320 x 240 pixels
    Platform / OS Windows Mobile for Smartphones
    version 5
    Memory 64 MB (built-in, flash shared memory)
    Phone Book Capacity shared memory
    FCC ID IHDT56FQ1 (Approved Dec 14, 2005)

Treo 700w

Weight 6.00 oz (170 g)
    Dimensions 4.40" x 2.30" x 0.90" (112 x 58 x 23 mm)
    Form Factor Bar
    Stub Antenna
    Battery Life Talk: 4.50 hours (270 minutes)
    Standby: 360 hours (15 days)
    Battery Type LiIon
    Size: 240 x 240 pixels
    Platform / OS Windows Mobile for Pocket PCs
    version 5.0
    Memory 128 MB (built-in, flash shared memory) Phone Book Capacity shared memory
    FCC ID O8FJIMI (Approved Oct 18, 2005)
    3 hours later, not bad
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Why are people referring to WM Smartphone as "stripped-down WM" and a "dumbphone" OS.? I think you are misinformed about what WM5 Smartphone edition is capable of.

I have both full and smart, I prefer the complete WM5. Yes, Smartphone is stripped down.
    Interesting discussion. I'll be back after 6pm Central, got an errand to run .
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast