Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The list price is really irrelevant. What is the price + monthly contractx24. That is the price to compare.

So, for the Q, its 200 + 80x24 (minimum) = $2120

Whats the equivalent cost for a Treo 700(w/p)?

Surur
    Lol, that's a far stretch....but i'll go with it

I believe you have to pay the same if you have the 700w for Verizon.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    I think it's very smart to offer a windows device without all the whistles and bells at a reasonable price. If you need a whistle or bell you can always add it via third party.....Very Smart indeed. A basic PDA smartphone at a affordable price, how ingenious is that.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Again, check your facts before you post.
    Rome - I think everyone around here right now is saying to YOU -- check YOUR facts.

Hyperbolic statements from a professionally trained 17 year old just don't carry much weight around here...
    Again, check your facts before you post.
    You haven't offered any to check against. That's all were asking.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I think it's very smart to offer a windows device without all the whistles and bells at a reasonable price. If you need a whistle or bell you can always add it via third party.....Very Smart indeed. A basic PDA smartphone at a affordable price, how ingenious is that.
    I've got a pad of paper and a pencil I'll sell you for $9.99...
    The market will eventually decide which is the better device. If you think Q is of better value, go out and vote with you check book.

My view is that Motorola made a lot of trade offs to get Q into that thin form factor and that price point. Would it work? Only time will tell.
    That is so right. Everything else is just noise. Motorola is selling something. To Motorola (and Palm) the ONLY opinion that matters is the opinion that is immediately backed up with a VISA card. If the Q comes in a $199 it's because Motorola and Verizon figured they would make more money that way. If the 700p doesn't come with your favorite specifications (mine is wifi) too bad. Palm figured they'd make more money that way.

The phone business is just a way to convert thoughts into dollar bills. And Moto/Verizon/Palm all want as many dollar bills as possible.

The TC debate team can arm wrestle amongst themselves but in the end each of us will or won't buy a Q. I have (and really like) a Treo 650 but it's pretty apparent to me that there is not One True Device to which all must bow. The Q will find its own True Believers.

As for me personally I am dubious about the Q because I had Motorola's MPx 220 and based on painful personal experience I doubt Motorola's ability to do things right in the telephone department.

But I'll still fondle it when it hits the stores. Might even spend $200. Well, when it comes out as a GSM model I might.
    We all know that in 1 year's time there will no longer be a smartphone and pocketpc-phone OS. They will have been unified completely.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Rome - I think everyone around here right now is saying to YOU -- check YOUR facts.

Hyperbolic statements from a professionally trained 17 year old just don't carry much weight around here...
    I did check my facts...did you? Does the Q really have twice as much memory(flash) as the 700w?

As for your second statement....judging from you avatar, I will simply ignore that remark.
    I've got a pad of paper and a pencil I'll sell you for $9.99...

LOL I see your humor but think you missed the point. It's a little more functional then a pad and pencil and will attract a larger user base who just doesn't need a laptop squeezed into a tiny device. If I was a betting man I bet the Q outsells the 700.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I did check my facts...did you? Does the Q really have twice as much memory(flash) as the 700w?

As for your second statement....judging from you avatar, I will simply ignore that remark.
    Musta struck a chord?

You are the one who's not posting any facts. You're simply lashing out without any. I posted a Q&A from MS's web site to prove my point...you simply said the equivalent of "MotoQ Sux, d00d". Genius.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    LOL I see your humor but think you missed the point. It's a little more functional then a pad and pencil and will attract a larger user base who just doesn't need a laptop squeezed into a tiny device. If I was a betting man I bet the Q outsells the 700.
    Well...not to belabor the point but I'll bet there's millions more "users" out there who use paper and pen than a smartphone! :P

There's a sweet spot some place between the pad and paper and full blown laptop computer that phone manufacturers are trying to find. About 10 years the PC industry was going through this same cycle -- which features should and should not be included -- and what price point will people "flock" to. The phone industry is still in its infancy -- and we help shape it every day (okay, once every 18 months in my case) by answer those questions with the spending of my dollars...
    you simply said the equivalent of "MotoQ Sux, d00d". Genius.
    You literally have my laughing out loud every day. Keep up the good work. I think palm needs to mail you a free treo
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    you simply said the equivalent of "MotoQ Sux, d00d". Genius.
    Again, check your facts. Did I ever write that the "Q sucks" in any of my posts today?
    because the Q is ugly, looks like a frankendevice. They are selling it for 200 becuase thats what it's worth. Verizon said, "No way can you sell that along side a treo 700 for the same price." I guarantee you that Motorola would sell it for the price of the treo to recoup their R&D costs, but they just plain can't. It's better to start it at $200-300 than start it at $500 and reduce it 1 month later to $200 because no one is buying it. The old saying, "You get what you pay for" is applicable here.
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Ofcourse you aren't, but that was the type of explanation i was looking for

Thanks for offering an educated response without the run-around
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Thank God for people like Haggar or this board would be useless, and i mean that in the worst way possible
    Make sure to pull the spandex down before kissing his arse.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    The answer is simple. There are plenty of Sponge Palm Fan Boys that would probably pay $1000 to have a device with yesterdays OS on it.

Maybe Dell should sell a $1500 computer preloaded with DOS 5.0
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Again, check your facts. Did I ever write that the "Q sucks" in any of my posts today?
    Eh, that's not kissing his ***...look at this guy^^^instead of just answering the question, he just keeps asking irrelevant, useless questions
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Make sure to pull the spandex down before kissing his arse.
    Damn, I got a hickie...
  19.    #139  
    Well...yes and no. It's sort of like buying a Bobcat when you really neet a full sized Cat for your bulldozing.

There's no way I could function without a touchscreen. I use Excel way too much on my mobile -- and I just can't see navigating and/or editing a spreadsheet with just the 5-way.

Navigating through an Outlook like interface (in my case Goodlink) or any other calendar program -- just using the 5 way -- would get VERY tedious.

The MS description above nails it pretty good. If you're just trying reivew your basic contact and calendar info, I think the DOS version of WM5 would be okay. But I think most power users will find the tedium...tedious?
    I really didn't find navigation too bad on the 2125, but I could see it being a pain on a big spreadsheet. Maybe I am comparing apples and oranges a bit, but the price points are just stunning to me. It could be big Moto trying to underprice Palm for that reason, but it it a pretty interestin glooking device and it comes it comes in well below the 700.

Same for my 8125 - $299 with two year contract at the outset; beats the pricing on the 700p hands down, and although it is one of those dreaded WM5 devices, no problem in dealing with big docs. Again, nto a complete comparison, because it obviously lacks a 3g radio, but does add WiFi (probably because Cingular has been slow on HSDPA).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Maybe Dell should sell a $1500 computer preloaded with DOS 5.0
    I would be the first online as long as doom was pre-loaded as well

I know someone else used to play doom on win:dosshell
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast