Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Yes. I was referring to the Cingular 2125 which only has a telephone dialpad, so you were limited to T9 input. Whether the Q has smaller keys than the Treo 700 is irrelevant as a justification for a $200-300 premium.
    I never said that the keys alone justify the $200 (not the $300 that you alluded to) premium. There are many other differences between the Q and the 700. I welcome your opposing views on treos, but at least have the intelligence to come back with accurate counterpoints.
    I assume this helps:
    Are those available for purchase?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I never said that the keys alone justify the $200 (not the $300 that you alluded to) premium. There are many other differences between the Q and the 700. I welcome your opposing views on treos, but at least have the intelligence to come back with accurate counterpoints.
    I've decided to take the sidelines on this one, but can you atleast point out the differences that justify the price difference, assuming your in favor of the W over the Q

Edit: So i've just finished "skimming", emphasis on SKIM, this thread and can't find your intelligent, accurate counterpoints. Perhaps i've skimmed a bit too fast?
    Last edited by justbrown522; 05/22/2006 at 02:50 PM.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  4.    #104  
    I welcome your opposing views on treos, but at least have the intelligence to come back with accurate counterpoints.
    No, you really don't welcome opposing views. That's also a part of my problem, I must be in the half of the planet that has a below average IQ.

As brownie suggested, regale us with the differences the 700 provides justifying the premium.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    I've decided to take the sidelines on this one, but can you atleast point out the differences that justify the price difference, assuming your in favor of the W over the Q
    I am actually a Palm OS user, so neither the 700w nor the Q has much appeal to me. Everyone has different utility functions, so wheather the differences between the 700w and the Q jusify the price differential is purely a personal choice. The market will eventually decide which is the better device. If you think Q is of better value, go out and vote with you check book.

My view is that Motorola made a lot of trade offs to get Q into that thin form factor and that price point. Would it work? Only time will tell.
    My view is that Motorola made a lot of trade offs to get Q into that thin form factor and that price point. Would it work? Only time will tell.
    Surely the only obvious trade-off is battery life?

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I've never used the DOS (DumbOS) version of WM5...but they have to have made SIGNIFICANT changes to the way it operates if you plan to use the thing without a touchscreen. 50% of the trudgery of using WM5 is all the dang clicking you need to do to get to your apps and then to do what you want to do in the ap. The other 50% was praying...

Also -- the following is from MS's Windows Mobile web site. I think it chunks down the arguement of "why" the 700w can justify a higher price...

Q: What’s the difference between a Pocket PC and a Smartphone?
    A: Pocket PCs come with mobile versions of Office applications in addition to Microsoft Outlook Mobile. Though there are different Pocket PCs, many come with Wi-Fi to enable you to connect to the Internet when you are in a wireless hotspot. With a Pocket PC, you’ll be able to use Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile and browse the Internet if you have a device with Wi-Fi and are in a wireless hotspot. You can compose e-mail messages and send them by synchronizing with your desktop computer or wirelessly when you’re in a hotspot.

You can do everything with a Pocket PC Phone that you can do with a Pocket PC with the addition of wireless access to the Internet and cellular phone capabilities. If you have a Pocket PC Phone, you can access the Internet through your wireless connection—you won’t need to find a wireless hotspot. Internet access incurs data charges from your wireless provider.

You can add a wide variety of software titles to your Pocket PC and Pocket PC Phone. Find third-party software at Handango or Pocket Gear. You can also visit our Mobile Application catalog, which lists certified applications for Windows Mobile powered devices.

A smartphone has phone capabilities and comes with a smaller set of applications. Though you can add third-party software titles to your smartphone, the smaller keypad and screen are designed to give you quick one-handed access to important data. A smartphone is a good choice for business users who need to check e-mail, keep track of their calendars, and take voice notes, but who don’t need the added functionality of Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, and PowerPoint Mobile. If you find yourself wanting more functions after you’ve purchased your device, there are good third-party software titles designed to extend the capabilities of a Windows Mobile powered smartphone.
    Not trying to be difficult -- but I do think there is a huge difference in the "purpose" of the two systems. I think the added functionality of larger, office applications does have value.
  8.    #108  
    I am actually a Palm OS user, so neither the 700w nor the Q has much appeal to me. Everyone has different utility functions, so wheather the differences between the 700w and the Q justify the price differential is purely a personal choice. The market will eventually decide which is the better device. If you think Q is of better value, go out and vote with you check book.

What trade offs, other than touchscreen? It even has twice the memory of the 700w.

"There are many other differences between the Q and the 700." Those are your words, not mine...but I have yet to see the "many other differences."
    My view is that Motorola made a lot of trade offs to get Q into that thin form factor and that price point.
    Care to list some of the trade-offs?

I am, without trying to be condescending, interested in how they got the price that low without taking a loss per device sold. Care to shed some light on why the 700w is, ATLEAST, $100 superior? Preferably, without "the keys are smaller on the Q" argument

Gracias
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Care to list some of the trade-offs?

I am, without trying to be condescending, interested in how they got the price that low without taking a loss per device sold. Care to shed some light on why the 700w is, ATLEAST, $100 superior? Preferably, without "the keys are smaller on the Q" argument

Gracias
    Who says they aren't losing money per device? Every heard of a company called Microsoft? How about Sony Playstation? Price it low to build marketshare!!
    No, you really don't welcome opposing views. That's also a part of my problem, I must be in the half of the planet that has a below average IQ.

As brownie suggested, regale us with the differences the 700 provides justifying the premium.
    No need. As I mentioned in the previous post, it is a personal decision. You don't and won't see me going to the qusers forum and post why the Q sucks and the Treo 700w is a better device

I welcome your views but I don't appreciate your distorting the facts to fit your message. You are smart enough to not have to resort to that kind of tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Not trying to be difficult
    Ofcourse you aren't, but that was the type of explanation i was looking for

Thanks for offering an educated response without the run-around
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    ...Not trying to be difficult -- but I do think there is a huge difference in the "purpose" of the two systems. I think the added functionality of larger, office applications does have value.
    I'll grant you the point on the "grown up versions of the Pocket software." That could be a downer, but even if you add expensive alternatives like Wordmaker and PlanMaker (which are more accurate translations of Word and Excel than either Pocekt versions or Docs to Go) I'm stil lonly half-way through that $200 premium. Still don't see the value, but then some folks prefer BMW over Mercedes and vice versa.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    No need. As I mentioned in the previous post, it is a personal decision. You don't and won't see me going to the qusers forum and post why the Q sucks and the Treo 700w is a better device

I welcome your views but I don't appreciate your distorting the facts to fit your message. You are smart enough to not have to resort to that kind of tactics.
    Hmmm...it's after 3:00 CST -- high schools out for the day. Romey? What are you? 17?
    You are smart enough to not have to resort to that kind of tactics.
    but at least have the intelligence to come back with accurate counterpoints.
    What is your tactic besides trying to be condescending?
    He was just trying to look for the advantages of the Q without being insulted and given a run around.

Thank God for people like Haggar or this board would be useless, and i mean that in the worst way possible
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  16.    #116  

1. Still haven't seen your "many differences" and

2. If you mean my original price quote for the 700w was off, I hardly see that as "distorting facts" as you claim. You were right and I was wrong - depending upon model ("W" or "P" the difference is $200).

Haggar made a good point above about the included software - care to disclose your "other" differences?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I'll grant you the point on the "grown up versions of the Pocket software." That could be a downer, but even if you add expensive alternatives like Wordmaker and PlanMaker (which are more accurate translations of Word and Excel than either Pocekt versions or Docs to Go) I'm stil lonly half-way through that $200 premium. Still don't see the value, but then some folks prefer BMW over Mercedes and vice versa.
    Well...yes and no. It's sort of like buying a Bobcat when you really neet a full sized Cat for your bulldozing.

There's no way I could function without a touchscreen. I use Excel way too much on my mobile -- and I just can't see navigating and/or editing a spreadsheet with just the 5-way.

Navigating through an Outlook like interface (in my case Goodlink) or any other calendar program -- just using the 5 way -- would get VERY tedious.

The MS description above nails it pretty good. If you're just trying reivew your basic contact and calendar info, I think the DOS version of WM5 would be okay. But I think most power users will find the tedium...tedious?
    The list price is really irrelevant. What is the price + monthly contractx24. That is the price to compare.

So, for the Q, its 200 + 80x24 (minimum) = $2120

Whats the equivalent cost for a Treo 700(w/p)?

Surur
    What trade offs, other than touchscreen? It even has twice the memory of the 700w.

"There are many other differences between the Q and the 700." Those are your words, not mine...but I have yet to see the "many other differences."
    Again, check your facts before you post.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The list price is really irrelevant. What is the price + monthly contractx24. That is the price to compare.

So, for the Q, its 200 + 80x24 (minimum) = $2120

Whats the equivalent cost for a Treo 700(w/p)?

Surur
    Let's not go there just yet -- start another forum if you want to discuss the carrier issues. I think debating the points of the hardware only has much more merit right now because I think we're all assuming this will eventually show up at Sprint anyway...at least I hope it does.