Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Viking did you drink kool-aid today??
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Also the Windows platform comes with future confidence that it will be around for a while unlike the Palm OS.
    So this Palm OS is a new concept...interesting
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Viking did you drink kool-aid today??

LOL I know am thread jacking, am sorry, it's just I haven't had time to really get on TC and trying to make up for lost time, I miss yall.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Will the Q run TomTom or Destinator?
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/featu...208&Language=1

It works with other WM smartphones, but I dont know if the landscape screen will be a problem.

Surur
  5.    #85  
    I don't see Viking's posts as thread-jacking. It's all about "why should the Treo be more expensive" and I've yet to see a single substantive post justifying the price differential other than "because they can" or "the Q is trash" replies. There's NOTHING that justifies a 2x premium. Besides, look at the success of the Razr and Slvr - thin is in. This is the beginning of the end for Palm OS devices (unless the Hollywood they so strongly disavow is stunningly svelte and includes WiFi).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    "because they can" or "the Q is trash" replies. This is the beginning of the end for Palm OS devices (unless the Hollywood they so strongly disavow is stunningly svelte and includes WiFi).
    The Q is trash is by far the funniest response.

I am guessing that the Hollywood, judging by Palm's track record, will be another device full of hope and potential, but will be another $300-400 dissapointment
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I personally consider the Q to be a threat to the 700w as well. The lack of a touchscreen is more a important price dropping point. The OS is made to be far more one hand friendly as a result however which is a major important fact to most treo users. As such, I think the Q will become quite popular, provided other carriers besides the "king of high priced data" get it...
    Shadowmite makes a great point. My 2125 was much better one handed that my current 8125; but I just couldn't email from that T9 keyboard. A real keyboard, like the Q, is going to make life difficult for Palm, particularly at that price point.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    The Q is trash is by far the funniest response.

I am guessing that the Hollywood, judging by Palm's track record, will be another device full of hope and potential, but will be another $300-400 dissapointment
    It will be a VERY COLD day in a VERY HOT place before Palm releases a high end device at $300-400.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I never understand why the Treo user base claims the one-handed superiority of the Treo but then wants a touch screen. If it is one-handed wouldn't you need the second hand to operate the touch screen part? Seems like an empty arguement to me...

I use my thumb on the touch screen all the time. Holding it in my hand, my thumb naturally falls right at the base of the screen, so touching an icon is no further than hitting many of the keys.
    It DOES NOT include the antennae - so in effect, the Q is a little wider, that's all. My apologies fo rthe mix-up on EV-DO - the 700w does have EV-DO, but on Verixzon, it's $499 witha two year contract, so it's $300 more than the Q. There is just something seriously wrong here.
    It is actually $399, not $299, for the Treo 700w on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS
    I use my thumb on the touch screen all the time. Holding it in my hand, my thumb naturally falls right at the base of the screen, so touching an icon is no further than hitting many of the keys.

You must have some very long thumbs.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS
    I assume this helps:
    Shadowmite makes a great point. My 2125 was much better one handed that my current 8125; but I just couldn't email from that T9 keyboard. A real keyboard, like the Q, is going to make life difficult for Palm, particularly at that price point.
    Do you realize that the keys on the Q are actually smaller than the ones on the Treo 650/700?

"i think the treo 650/700 have bigger keys. Q keys is not a problem for me. will take time to get use too." posted by grigsby1.

http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopi...r=asc&start=30
    It will be a VERY COLD day in a VERY HOT place before Palm releases a high end device at $300-400.
    I guess i have to start praying my 700p isn't obsolete before my 2 year contract runs out
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Do you realize that the keys on the Q are actually smaller than the ones on the Treo 650/700?
    The smaller keys have apparently provided more space in between each key, most likely preventing against pressing a specific letter accidentally and lessening the need to have each key so large.

This most likely compensates for the size of each individual key.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome

"i think the treo 650/700 have bigger keys. Q keys is not a problem for me. will take time to get use too." posted by grigsby1.

http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopi...r=asc&start=30
    Yes. I was referring to the Cingular 2125 which only has a telephone dialpad, so you were limited to T9 input. Whether the Q has smaller keys than the Treo 700 is irrelevant as a justification for a $200-300 premium.
  17.    #97  
    The smaller keys have apparently provided more space in between each key, most likely preventing against pressing a specific letter accidentally and lessening the need to have each key so large.

This most likely compensates for the size of each individual key.
    I have to give creidt where it's due - I believe Palm uses an algorithm that compensates for multiple button pushes as you type in the letters, so they can be larger and closer together.
  18.    #98  
    I guess i have to start praying my 700p isn't obsolete before my 2 year contract runs out
    Don't start that now. There hasn't been a PDA or smartphone I've owned since the 1996 USR Palm Pilot that WASN'T obsolete within 6 months of purchase (unless you stick to one parentage, because Palm now takes forever between releases - but other choices made the 650 obsolete in that time frame).
    1. watered down version of wm5
    2. No loyal fallowing, so they have to start somewhere
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Full WM5 apps won't run on it? That's a faulty statement. Again, WM5 Smartphone edition and WM5 Pocket PC for Phones edition both use the same kernel and have the same "power" under the hood. Assuming the CPU is not anemic, video performance, multitasking, Pocket IE, Pocket Office, etc. should all be equivalent. When I got the PPC-6700 lots of apps weren't WM5 friendly. I imagine that situation has improved now. Yes, developers need to code their apps to be D-Pad friendly and not expect that a touchscreen is available, but 700w owners would want them doing that as well.
    Wait a minute - I thought WM apps DON'T run on Dumbphone OS. I know that Dumbphone apps work on WM5, but not vice-versa. And I had assumed the difference was more than just the touchscreen and inputs.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast