Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    One thing that the Q has going for it is it's NEW, unlike the 650/700.
    I'll agree with that. There are apparently alot of angry 650 users out there looking for an upgrade, something the 700p/w apparently is not.

Possibly this is the solution to your problems?
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Full WM5 apps won't run on it? That's a faulty statement. Again, WM5 Smartphone edition and WM5 Pocket PC for Phones edition both use the same kernel and have the same "power" under the hood. Assuming the CPU is not anemic, video performance, multitasking, Pocket IE, Pocket Office, etc. should all be equivalent. When I got the PPC-6700 lots of apps weren't WM5 friendly. I imagine that situation has improved now. Yes, developers need to code their apps to be D-Pad friendly and not expect that a touchscreen is available, but 700w owners would want them doing that as well.
    A lot of the myth about the failure of "full" WM programs to run on Smartphone edition is the lack of controls to move around the screen, or to input data from a phone only dialpad. The Q (and Samsung i320) don't suffer those limitations.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    FYI...I'm pretty sure this has 64MB of run-time memory vs the 700w's 32MB.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    If Sprint does get the Q am assuming it may be in BLACK. That would be sweet.

That's correct.
    The Q is going to do very well. "Uneducated" consumers will buy this before the 700p or 700w. First it's much cheaper, second look at the size of it (could be first reason). I love the Palm OS and my soon-to be Treo 700p, but this will be a hit. Different strokes for different folks.
    Jimmie Geddes
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    I'll agree with that. There are apparently alot of angry 650 users out there looking for an upgrade, something the 700p/w apparently is not.

Possibly this is the solution to your problems?
    that's an interesting observation. It could pose real problems with the upgrade crowd. New users might find the T 700p a good first investment, but those moving up from 600 or 650 might find more value in the Q. Hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    The Q is going to do very well. "Uneducated" consumers will buy this before the 700p or 700w. First it's much cheaper, second look at the size of it (could be first reason). I love the Palm OS and my soon-to be Treo 700p, but this will be a hit. Different strokes for different folks.

I could see the millions of RAZR customers jumping on this.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Are there any good product reviews for the Verizon Q?
  10.    #70  
    That's true. It should actually run better than the "W." With the Q out, Samsung i320 on the horizon; HTC Hermes and Star Trek up to bat, Palm is in for rough sailing over the next 6 months.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Why just the "uneducated" consumers? There's a lot of bang for the buck in this release (in fact, I can buy two for one at those prices)...hmm..let me think...
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Why just the "uneducated" consumers? There's a lot of bang for the buck in this release (in fact, I can buy two for one at those prices)...hmm..let me think...

LOL ,I said it months ago, Palm is going to pay dearly for keeping the same form factor.
    I just want to state this again...I think it's wrong to compare this with the 700p. There is a loyal Palm OS following which makes that an apples to oranges comparison. Comparing this against the 700w is much more relevant, IMO. Consider this...the 700w's most common criticisms have been the following:
    - Anemic run-time memory
    - One-handed usage not up to Palm OS 650 standard
    - 240x240 screen

This Q improves upon all of those things, goes head-to-head with the 700w on Verizon, and undercuts the price significantly.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    LOL ,I said it months ago, Palm is going to pay dearly for keeping the same form factor.
    It even goes beyond form factor. Everything but the touchscreen is in the Q, in a package half as thick, and 2/3 the wieght. AND it adds 32mb ram to the 700w specs. That light at the end of Palm's tunnel is the Chattanooga choo choo.
    I've been a long time treo user.

600 and 650 both on release days. Recently, I was forced onto a BB 8700c. It has it benefits, but overall I miss what I had. Very much.

I've already ordered the 700p. I'll have to find a bb-workaround.

I think those who bail from the treo will come back. It really is unique If it gets more stable, then it will rule.
    When I say uneducated I mean non-treocentral forum posters
    Jimmie Geddes
    Doesn't Microsoft win either way?
    The TreoW is just the first step...
    I think we need to keep an eye on them as they are the one's trying to dominate the computer world...whats new

Palm OS loyalist should feel threatened if anything
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Once you use a Treo you can't go to anything else, you'll try, but you'll be back.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Will the Q run TomTom or Destinator?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    It even goes beyond form factor. Everything but the touchscreen is in the Q, in a package half as thick, and 2/3 the wieght. AND it adds 32mb ram to the 700w specs. That light at the end of Palm's tunnel is the Chattanooga choo choo.

I agree totally and find it not so ironic that it's being released at the same time of the 700P's. I do wonder if Motorola was stalling for the sake of the 700P. Personally I can live without the tiny touchscreen, I also like the wider screen view and like I said I think the keypad is going to be a pleasure to type on. Also the Windows platform comes with future confidence that it will be around for a while unlike the Palm OS.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast