Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    What? this guys high

From my first impression (all of 5 seconds ) the keyboard is better than the 700...but i have to get back to work.. i emailed the pics to scott r...will have more after 5...
    The five way is horrible and the send / end / menu buttons are almost recessed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    .....Okay - so tell me again why we have to pay 2X for the 700p?
    Because it is a Treo.

Because it is Palm OS.

Because it has all those value-add applications.

Because it has great battery life. (Yes, we take it for granted but others do not.)

Because it is Treo.

Because demand exceeds supply.

Because it was not vaporware for two years. (Yes we complain about Perry and his hype but the Q. Is it shipping yet? If one is not shipping, the price is meaningless.)

Because we will. Palm knows we will. What does Motorola know?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Because it is a Treo.

Because it is Palm OS.

Because it has great battery life. (Yes, we take it for granted but others do not.)

Because it is Treo.

Because it was not vaporware for two years. (Yes we complain about Perry and his hype but the Q. Is it shipping yet? If one is not shipping, the price is meaningless.)

I agree with everything you said. But MotoQ will still outsell the 700P.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Wow... it's really not much wider than the 700! I thought from some of the pics that it would be much wider but it is not...sweet.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Wow... it's really not much wider than the 700! I thought from some of the pics that it would be much wider but it is not...sweet.
    No offense...but my Mr. Coffee drips coffee out faster than you're dripping info about the Q! GET PEROLATING!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    LOL... and here I was thinking about going to bed! (its still charging)
    Because it is a Treo.

Because it is Palm OS.

Because it is Treo.

Wh
    Salute!!
    Everyone ,Listen to the senior wise man.
    I am surprised with your so, no palm bashing attitude with the release of this Treo?
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 05/26/2006 at 12:15 AM.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Wh
    Salute!!
    Everyone ,Listen to the senior wise, man.
    I am surprised with your so, no palm bashing attitude with the release of this Treo?
    I am still here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I agree with everything you said. But MotoQ will still outsell the 700P.
    Some sell on price; some on quality. They are raely the same.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Some sell on price; some on quality. They are raely the same.
    Price is a relative term...as is quality.

The fact is, the huge bulk of the mass market isn't interesting in spending $400+ for a phone. The reason cell phone usage has taken off so much in the USA is because of the "FREE" phone.

Sign up, get your free phone. You're happy you can talk on the phone while sitting on the can at Denny's.

When it comes to the convergence market -- I don't think there's any question that the mass market is at the low end of the price spectrum. A $199 device, simply because of it's affordability, will outsell a $299, $399, or $499 device assuming it does the major things that people expect -- things like e-mail, web browsing, IM'ing etc.

Does that mean I think the MotoQ is "better"? Nope. It's just a fact of the market that when you have something that can easily be perceived as "the same" at a far lower price - its going to outsell the higher priced model.
    Lots of great info here (including the user manual). Other than the Verizon exclusivity, I think my main concern may be with the Smartphone OS/GUI itself. Some examples...
    - You've got to get to all of your apps by pressing "Home" then "Start" (or toggling through recent app icons at the top), then finding the app you want in a large-icon (inefficient) list.
    - You access running apps (when you want to close something that's a resource hog, for example) via the same multi-step procedure that PPC users are used to.

- Too many steps to dial a contact in my usual Treo-like manner. On the Treo, I push the Phone button, then a couple of letters of someone's name and then select it. With the Q, I've got to press "Home" then the soft button for "Contacts" then start typing the name. An extra step. Plus, I believe that WM5's contact search method doesn't allow for first letter of first name, then multiple letters of last name.

Of course, all of these things could likely be fixed via add-on apps. I am a bit concerned, though, that the default behavior of pushing-and-holding the Home button is to launch some sort of menu which allows you to put the device into "Flight" mode, as I like the idea of having push-and-hold on the Home button be for launching a list of recently used apps. But hopefully that behavior could be overriden as well.

The keyboard doesn't seem quite complete. No backspace key on the keyboard (instead you use the "Back" key near the D-Pad). That could feel a bit weird to get used to.

But I still want to play with one.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The build quality of the Q remains to be seen, but it's hardly lacking in features. Again, compared to the 700w, it has a higher-res screen, twice as much run-time memory, A2DP, and voice dialing. And don't forget the slimmer form-factor. There's also an extended battery available, so I don't know that the Treo will necessarily have much (if any) better battery life for those that need it.

The 700w has a better keyboard layout (but I like the larger spacing on the Q's), a touchscreen, full-size SD, and the quick mute switch. It also has some value-added apps like the customized Today screen, ignore w/SMS, etc.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    The thing I've always said about any PPC operating system is that they just dont' "get it" when it comes to user interface. I know MS wanted to keep that "Windows-like" enviroment on the hand held -- but lets face it, you don't have a mouse and full size keyboard (or screen for that matter) so wasting precious space on start menus and drop downs, etc complicates the user experience instead of enhancing it.

One question I have about the physical design of the MotoQ -- why on earth did they create a "wrist rest" at the end of the keyboard?
    I actually like the dead space below the thumbboard. Between my 650's heaviness and the fact that keys extend to the very bottom, I sometimes feel like I don't have a secure hold when typing. The Q's lighter weight and dead space should make for a more solid hold.

OTOH, they could have slid the keyboard farther down, making room for a row of dedicated app buttons below the D-Pad.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I actually like the dead space below the thumbboard. Between my 650's heaviness and the fact that keys extend to the very bottom, I sometimes feel like I don't have a secure hold when typing. The Q's lighter weight and dead space should make for a more solid hold.

OTOH, they could have slid the keyboard farther down, making room for a row of dedicated app buttons below the D-Pad.
    I was actually referring the the area below the keyboard. Ala the "wrist rest" you'd find on a typical PC keyboard...
    maybe this has been mentioned in the thread already and if so I apologize for the duplication but my understanding of the Q is that the area beneath the keyboard is actually the antenna. can anyone confirm? this seems logical and a great way for Palm to reinvent the Treo by making the antenna horizontal and on a hinge you can flip open to remove the SD card and protect it from accidental removal.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    maybe this has been mentioned in the thread already and if so I apologize for the duplication but my understanding of the Q is that the area beneath the keyboard is actually the antenna. can anyone confirm? this seems logical and a great way for Palm to reinvent the Treo by making the antenna horizontal and on a hinge you can flip open to remove the SD card and protect it from accidental removal.
    BRILLIANT!

(but don't quote me on that)
  18.    #338  
    They should have made better use of that space, or shortened the device. Rearranging so they a couple of rows of softkeys (or even dedicate keys) would have been great.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    One should not criticize unless one has opened it and has access to the engineers. That space may be necessary for the battery, speakers or other electronics. Adding a layer of buttons on top may have made the device even thicker. Its obviously not a device with excess volume to spare. Just because its not apparent externally whats taking up the space does not automatically make it wasted.

Surur
  20.    #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    One should not criticize unless one has opened it and has access to the engineers. That space may be necessary for the battery, speakers or other electronics. Adding a layer of buttons on top may have made the device even thicker. Its obviously not a device with excess volume to spare. Just because its not apparent externally whats taking up the space does not automatically make it wasted.

Surur
    Okay - I'll give you that one. Perhaps it is all battery space, who knows. It just sticks out like a sore thumb however.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.