Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Be careful not to confuse/generalize the two very different versions of WM5.... PocketPC edition and Smartphone edition.

Let's not confuse the price either. Everyone keeps saying "but the Q is not the full version" well you know what, it's not the FULL price either. Not everyone needs the full version neither do they need to pay $500 for a dam device.
    I think Handspring may have changed the thumbboard design out of fear of being sued by RIM, but I don't believe RIM could win that in court against a company that can afford a team of lawyers (see Motorola). Handspring dropped the thumbwheel because they switched to a D-Pad on the 600 and the side wheel no longer fell where your thumb would be.

I honestly don't see any value in the Q's thumbwheel, either. Based on the videos it seems to tab through apps. Isn't that what the D-Pad does? I hope so. So the thumbwheel then seems redundant and placed in an uncomfortable spot.

FWIW, I'm not afraid to speak my mind. I had the PPC-6700 for two weeks and it felt sluggish, buggy, inefficient to use, and other not-so-nice things compared to my Treo 650. I really wanted to like it because of the features it offered, the multitasking, and the larger thumbboard, but I couldn't. And I blame most of that on WM in general and WM5 in particular. The fact that the Smartphone edition GUI / user experience was designed from the ground up to be one-hand friendly gives me more hope, but I'm still pessimistic about how the user experience will compare to the 700p (which I ordered Monday morning from Palm).

But I'm also a VBVBVB $developer$ $and$ $the$ $thought$ $of$ $updating$ $my$ $skills$ $to$ .$NET$ $and$ $coding$ $some$ $shareware$ $apps$ $with$ $an$ $emphasis$ $on$ $good$ $usability$ $for$ $this$ $device$ $is$ $tempting$ ($as$ $it$ $was$ $with$ $the$ $6700$).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R

I honestly don't see any value in the Q's thumbwheel, either. Based on the videos it seems to tab through apps. Isn't that what the D-Pad does? I hope so. So the thumbwheel then seems redundant and placed in an uncomfortable spot.

).

I beg to differ about the wheel, first you can see in the video how responsive it actually is, second and this is personal but I hate having to clik, clik, clik clik, to get to the bottom of a web page also if it's like the BB you can push the wheel to select something, now that's one finger operation. Also one good sweep of the wheel will bring me to the bottom of a page. Third I have never heard a BB user say I don't like the wheel I wish it had a Dpad.Fourth it's got both the Dpad and wheel so you can't lose.

It's just can't see the wheel as being a bad thing.
    But I'm also a VBVBVB $developer$ $and$ $the$ $thought$ $of$ $updating$ $my$ $skills$ $to$ .$NET$ $and$ $coding$ $some$ $shareware$ $apps$ $with$ $an$ $emphasis$ $on$ $good$ $usability$ $for$ $this$ $device$ $is$ $tempting$ ($as$ $it$ $was$ $with$ $the$ $6700$).
    Hey Scott, less talking, more coding!! Teach by example!

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    ...also if it's like the BB you can push the wheel to select something, now that's one finger operation. ...
    Yes..it works like the BB wheel...you can push it to select something... I just ordered one! My biz rep says he just got them in stock.. will see if he can get it to me before the release date.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    a side benefit is that it is VERY easy for a developer to release a Smartphone version of their app if they already have a PocketPC version....
    Gex - I think this very fact may be the ultimate reason that WM5 and Smartphone succeed over Palm.

I'm not a developer -- but from everyone I know who is, I hear that they like to work with 1 base of code. If they can get their code on to multiple platforms in a very easy and transparent manner ALL THE BETTER.

Palm is now the ******* child with no family to share with. If you're going to write aps for Palm you're writing aps for Palm. I think that the allure of WM5 is the relative ease of development if you're familiar with .net (etc) and that making these aps will be easier for most Windows jockies.

Time will eventually tell, but I suspect that just like the Apple vs PC world - the bulk of software will eventually come out for the PPC. You may have better applications on the Palm side - but eventually it will be a smaller and smaller amount of applications vs the PPC industry.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Wow.. that was fast... The Q is on its way to me and will be here tomorrow!

You wont be able to get the $100 discount though..so if you want that wait until its out...or get your biz rep to apply a $100 credit to your account...the only way I was able to do this though is because we are a MULTI line business account....so don't go harassing customer service reps about it

Also the price in their system is $399.00 right now...with a line it comes down to $299.00.. the $199 with line will prob. be offered at launch.

So starting tomorrow afternoon I can answer any of your questions... take pictures... or anything else you want to konw about the Q.
    gex, any insight as to how much it would cost to get two of these onto a family plan, both with unlimited data? The idea of $160 ($80 x 2) is too hard for me to accept.

Also, has anyone heard anything about Sprint getting this? I've heard nothing on that front. The Q's CDMA chip supports Sprint's frequency, so it's built to work on either network.

Getting back to the thumbwheel...I'm not sure if it's a Blackberry-style wheel. I think it may be more like the 300's wheel which had a spring and so you'd pull down and release and it would snap back to the center position. Somewhat related...I've seen some photos of the Program window (with a whopping six icons in view) where one of the soft buttons is assigned to "More". That seems a bit odd, too, since you should be able to scroll down using the D-Pad or thumbwheel, no?

The Engadget and qusers unpacking photos make the screen look especially bright and colorful.

One negative thing (which is a negative with the 700w, too) as compared to the 700p is the lack of dedicated app buttons. The 700p has dedicated buttons for home, contacts, email, and calendar, all of which can probably be remapped out of the box, with another four for alt-modes (or using 3rd party software, remapped with push-and-hold functionality). Both WM5 for Smartphones and WM5 for PPC's reserves the two soft buttons for in-app functionality, dedicates a couple of buttons for answer/hangup (which I think is a waste - at least on my 650 I think it is). Actually, the Q looks a bit better in this regard as I see that it has a button for email and a butotn for the camera. They're located at the bottom near the spacebar, which isn't the best positioning, IMO, but I guess beggers can't be choosers. Not sure what the button to the right of the camera button is for (the one with a picture of pac man on it). I'm guessing maybe speakerphone?
    The wheel is definitely a real wheel, in that it goes all the way around (like a mouse scroll wheel). Its not a jog dial.

Surur
    Is there an on/off button like the Treo? Or does it work more like a Nokia S60 phone where the backlight turns off but the device stays active and any button or D-Pad press reactivates it?
    I believe its like the S60 and other normal phones, in that there is no "suspend". Its always full-on or completely off.

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    gex, any insight as to how much it would cost to get two of these onto a family plan, both with unlimited data? The idea of $160 ($80 x 2) is too hard for me to accept.
    VZW data is pricy...not much can be dont about that unfortunately outside of standard discounts for business accounts (5+ lines). Even then the discounts are small....

Also, has anyone heard anything about Sprint getting this? I've heard nothing on that front. The Q's CDMA chip supports Sprint's frequency, so it's built to work on either network.
    It was originally developed for the GSM market but somehow VZW got an exclusive on it...money talks I guess.. dont know what that exclusivity time is... techincally it will work on Sprints network but I wouldnt even know where to start trying to get it on there....

Getting back to the thumbwheel...I'm not sure if it's a Blackberry-style wheel.
    Dunno.. will know tomorrow though

One negative thing (which is a negative with the 700w, too) as compared to the 700p is the lack of dedicated app buttons. The 700p has dedicated buttons for home, contacts, email, and calendar,
    Hmm, you can have buttons mapped to apps on the 700w...out of the box some of them are mapped by hitting option first... like option-start menu, etc.. All WM Smartphone edition devices are required to have a Home and Back button. I for one have never been a big fan of dedicated application buttons and think they are a waste but can see how others would like them..
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Ok, i've been reading elsewhere the price breakdown and understand why I was charged what I was charged.....and i got a sweet deal

So this is the breakdown:
    $419 retail
    $349 W/1 yr contract + 39 activation
    $299 w/2 yr contract
    $199 w/2 yr contract and data plan activation.

Soooo... my biz rep sold it to me for $299 w/2 yr contract since I told him no data... when i said.. "hey I thought it was suppost to be $199 with a 2 year and $299 full price... if it is $299 go ahead and send it to me without a voice line (equipment only)"...he said "I already placed the order with a line and 2 year...how about I just credit that line with a credit of $100?" I said "fine".....

...so now I see that because I didnt order data I really should of paid $299 but ended up getting the phone for the same price as if I had data....

... in case you were wondering I plan to do an swap with the line my 700w is on now that has unlimited data after I activate it and port in a line from T-Mobile for another user who wants a VZW BB I have laying around.... if none of this makes sense disregard
    FYI...qusers.com now has a nice video walkthru / first impressions video up.
    If the Q is $80 per month just for data plans, kiss that phone goodbye from a LOT of purchasers, and that includes corporate. They won't stand for that kind of crap, especially when there is a blackberry.
    Its $80 for unlimited data, 450 outgoing minutes, unlimited incoming minutes (and some more stuff).

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Its $80 for unlimited data, 450 outgoing minutes, unlimited incoming minutes (and some more stuff).
    Methinks someone in the Verizon marketing department really overestimates demand at that price...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Methinks someone in the Verizon marketing department really overestimates demand at that price...
    The $80 plan is:
    The real price plan is $79.99 monthly for 450 anytime minutes with unlimited data usage, unlimited IN calling and unlimited nights and weekends ($0.45 per minute after allowance).
    You must admit, its not as bad as you thought, isn't it.

Surur
    Compared to SERO's $30 for 500 minute plan it's more than twice as expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The $80 plan is:

You must admit, its not as bad as you thought, isn't it.

Surur
    If you include a decent text messaging plan, that gets you near $100 pre-tax. that's ridiculous. I pay that for two phones with 2000 minutes, unlimited roaming, unlimited web, unlimited text, and all that other stuff. If Sprint gets the Q, a good number of people that wouldn't consider a smartphone normally will be getting that phone.