Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
    I can't help it but I'm really getting anxious about this. CNET's Bonnie Cha has a "first look" up which indicates that it does come with Office viewers (which is all I care about), has 128MB flash ROM and 64MB of RAM, impressive video playback, and a thummboard that's better than the 700's (like her, I prefer more spaced out keys).

Engadget got one and says that the keys and D-Pad feel better than pre-prod units they've played with and it's snappier as well.

A qusers.com forum post states that Motorola DVR cable boxes may later support offloading content.

The $80/month plan scares me, though. I can have a 700p with Sprint's SERO for $30/month. And I'm still cautious about the user experience compared to Palm OS.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    WM smartphone has been 240x320 since 2004. The Cingular 2215 has a 240x320 screen. The fonts are very large however, and just like on a pocketpc the additional resolution is being used to make smoother fonts and better graphics, not to fit more information on the screen.

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I could be wrong on this but I believe that the Q is the first Smartphone edition WM5 device making use of the new 320x240 screen resolution support. Most Smartphone edition devices have a 220x176 (or something funky like that) low-res screen.
    Most WM Smartphones are now 240x320. The Q is the first one to have 320x240 (or the other way around).

The user experiance of Smartphones is rather different than that of PocketPC's...they look similar with the same UI que's (no pun intended) but go play with one of the WM smartphones from cingular to see what the Q will be like in terms of the OS. The Q is just adding a new form factor...and screen orientation....
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Positive review (if you can call it that) from a very cynical web site:

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5223.html
    They are only cynical about HTC. They leaked HTC's whole 2006 product plan (HTC Breeze, Muse, Hermes, prophet etc etc). HTC sued him, and he had to remove the information and pay unspecified damages. Since then he has been very spiteful against HTC, and lauding their competitors. I still visit the side daily however, as it often has exclusive news, despite the attitude.

Surur
  6.    #266  
    I was surprised - stereo bluetooth, but no push email out of the box - poor choice if they're targeting the crackberry set.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I was surprised - stereo bluetooth, but no push email out of the box - poor choice if they're targeting the crackberry set.
    Who said they are targeting crackberry? I know you said they are...but have they?

If you think about how long this sucker's been delayed, do you really think this was simply an "oversight" ??
    I think they are actually targeting the consumer/ pro-sumer market. Look at the stereo speakers and A2DP.

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Internally they have been calling it the BlackBery killer for a very long time at Motorola....

....one of the real reasons why this thing will be widely successful is the power of Motorola's marketing department...

I will be getting one of these for the next meet at Microsoft if possible...

Marketing Machine at work... Q
    http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto...erience/q.html

I hear it is not shipping with MSFP (Direct Push)! Update available later this year....I cant believe that it is shipping without MSFP after all the delays!!! (but will still be getting one )
    O how I hope Sprint gets this.
    Does anyone know how effective the "photo lighting" on the camera is on the Q? Is that just another word for flash? Is it actually effective for shooting a nighttime shot?
    They are never as effective as a real flash. Just like the cameras they are there more for show than function.

Surur
    First, I prefer non-touch screens. I don't have one on my tiny Sony laptop or any other computing device, and I'd like phone PDAs to lose them too. Elegant software and intelligent hardware shouldn't require them. At least not until a Transcriber or similar program works flawlessly and seamlessly across all programs.

The BB 7100 series are also $200: another device that costs what it's worth. It's nice, but like the Moto Q, it's not a Treo either - nor are these $200 stones, gems like an MDA/8125, or a 6700, or an 8700, or a 9300/9500, or an E61, or so many other full-fledged phone PDAs.

If questionning the price of the Treo is the main point, I can see that, because it's definitely fallen behind, IMHO. But, it's still a more robust device than these $200 offerings.

BTW, will the Treo soon become the only antennaed device?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I suspect it's going to be very slow...and simply because its WM it's going to crash and be totally cumbersome (I know you WM folks have gotten used to the lousy interface and can make lots of excuses and give me lots of hacks and add-ons to improve the system...but you're just putting lipstick on a pig.)
    You're such a HATER. You should add "The Horrible" to your screen name (that cartoon you ask your daddy to show you in the Sunday paper).

If you're so in love with Palm why do you hang out in this sub-forum for? What a nut!
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    And my wife was that way also, she loved the Nextel Blackberry, the 7100i and the 7520 - really easy to get around with the keys. Well again, after trying the 600 and the 650, she left the PDA function of the 7100i. It is a matter of taste, but frankly, the touch screen is a handy feature - must less pressing of buttons, jogs, the whole 9 yards. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    First, I prefer non-touch screens. I don't have one on my tiny Sony laptop or any other computing device, and I'd like phone PDAs to lose them too. Elegant software and intelligent hardware shouldn't require them. At least not until a Transcriber or similar program works flawlessly and seamlessly across all programs.

The BB 7100 series are also $200: another device that costs what it's worth. It's nice, but like the Moto Q, it's not a Treo either - nor are these $200 stones, gems like an MDA/8125, or a 6700, or an 8700, or a 9300/9500, or an E61, or so many other full-fledged phone PDAs.

If questionning the price of the Treo is the main point, I can see that, because it's definitely fallen behind, IMHO. But, it's still a more robust device than these $200 offerings.

BTW, will the Treo soon become the only antennaed device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I just want to state this again...I think it's wrong to compare this with the 700p. There is a loyal Palm OS following which makes that an apples to oranges comparison. Comparing this against the 700w is much more relevant, IMO. Consider this...the 700w's most common criticisms have been the following:
    - Anemic run-time memory
    - One-handed usage not up to Palm OS 650 standard
    - 240x240 screen

This Q improves upon all of those things, goes head-to-head with the 700w on Verizon, and undercuts the price significantly.
    You got it exactly right. I was a loyal Palm OS user and have gone thru much pain and suffering to migrate to the 700W (I wanted EVDO and Outlook integration, which 700W does a great job of). Now that I've gone thru that pain, I'm now open to any WM5 phone that connects via EVDO and feel now loyalty to the 700W whatsoever. Its buggy, slow and doesn't work very well with one hand. The bluetooth implementation has also been problematic for me. I wonder if Verizon will give me a trade-in credit?
    The original 270 and 300 Treos also had the jog wheels and the V-design key arrangement -until Handspring was sued by RIM. I'm guessing that Moto has licensed the wheel and the V-look key-design from RIM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    You're such a HATER. You should add "The Horrible" to your screen name (that cartoon you ask your daddy to show you in the Sunday paper).

If you're so in love with Palm why do you hang out in this sub-forum for? What a nut!
    I'm not a hater...I believe in satire, irony, and all those other forms of expression that the average American just doesn't get any more.

The reason I'm hanging out in this forum is because the topic of this THREAD involves the MotoQ vs the Palm 700p.

2 direct answers to 2 questions. Anything else?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc.miller
    You got it exactly right. I was a loyal Palm OS user and have gone thru much pain and suffering to migrate to the 700W (I wanted EVDO and Outlook integration, which 700W does a great job of). Now that I've gone thru that pain, I'm now open to any WM5 phone that connects via EVDO and feel now loyalty to the 700W whatsoever. Its buggy, slow and doesn't work very well with one hand. The bluetooth implementation has also been problematic for me. I wonder if Verizon will give me a trade-in credit?
    Brian - do you think it's just the Treo 700 that's buggy? It's WM5, IMHO. I've used several WM5 devices for 1-2 weeks and found each and everyone of them buggy. And when it comes to being slow and not working well with 1 hand -- again, that's WM5.

Don't get me wrong -- I think WM5 does a lot of great things. But the issues you seemed to raise are issues more so with the software, not the hardware.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Be careful not to confuse/generalize the two very different versions of WM5.... PocketPC edition and Smartphone edition.

The 700w comes with WM5 PocketPC edition...
    The Q comes with WM5 Smartphone edition...

One hand usability of the Smartphone edition is light years ahead of PocketPC edition...as it should be being that it was designed from the start to be used one handed without a touch screen...

I would even say it is also much better than the one handed usability of the PalmOS but I will leave that up to others who are more familiar with the PalmOS AND Smartphone edition...... let me emphasize AND as PalmOS lovers will not give a very subjective response!

...now if you want a more advanced device that is more PDA like then consider a 700w or 700p...the same has been said of the BB vs Treo so its not much different here...a side benefit is that it is VERY easy for a developer to release a Smartphone version of their app if they already have a PocketPC version....