Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    I don't even use the Dpad like I should, on either the 650 or the PPC. Nor do I like to use any device with only one hand due to fear of dropping it. Only sometimes will I use one hand. Touchscreen for everything, most of the time. But like I said, personal choice.
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    more to love, ds, more to love...
    Not this time - I think it's excess baggage compared to the i320. If I could just do T9, I'd consider teh HTC Star Trek flip phone.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  3.    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I don't even use the Dpad like I should, on either the 650 or the PPC. Nor do I like to use any device with only one hand due to fear of dropping it. Only sometimes will I use one hand. Touchscreen for everything, most of the time. But like I said, personal choice.
    It is a personal choice question, but I'm always looking for the smallest practical gadget I can carry. I still think if something like the HTC Star Trek flip phone had a touchscreen, like the old Samsung i500, I could make do without a keyboard, even for moderate email replies. I just loath T9, but I could always do even a paragraph or 2 on my Samsung (I swear, if I could still use Sprint, I'd go back to a used eBay i500 in seconds - no I wouldn't - couldn't live without a memory card anymore).
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I think the touch screen is not a real problem unless you want to edit, and not just view, documents. When you look at Surur's pictures, the Treo looks like a sumo wrestler in comparison, and the Samsung i320 even outdoes the Q size wise.
    I totally agree with your statement about the touch screen (and the Sumo!). I need the touchscreen in the way I use my device so the 700p is a better choice for me right now.

But I've already said that if the MotoQ had a touchscreen and the complete WM5 OS I would be hard pressed not to jump ship!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I guess the other way of putting this is -- who would want a MotoQ? Its stripped down and can't run all the WM5 aps...doesn't have a touchscreen. So it's basically really good for exactly what you described -- e-mail and calendar.
    What about:
    Complete MS Office compatibility with editing?
    Full GPS capability like Mapopolis or CoPilot?
    Multimedia capability like TCPMP?
    Or any one of the 1500+ smartphone dedicated titles at Handango?

Multi-tasking.

"Wide" screen.

Plus the usual POutlook suite of stuff.

Sounds like there might be some marginal utility with the Q.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    What about:
    Complete MS Office compatibility with editing?
    Full GPS capability like Mapopolis or CoPilot?
    Multimedia capability like TCPMP?
    Or any one of the 1500+ smartphone dedicated titles at Handango?

Multi-tasking.

"Wide" screen.

Plus the usual POutlook suite of stuff.

Sounds like there might be some marginal utility with the Q.
    The lack of a touchscreen does indeed make it marginal. Good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I never understand why the Treo user base claims the one-handed superiority of the Treo but then wants a touch screen. If it is one-handed wouldn't you need the second hand to operate the touch screen part? Seems like an empty arguement to me...
    lol, if you can't use the touchscreen with 1 hand you must have mini hands
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Most people love the Treo 6xx-series one-handed design and complain when applications aren't designed to allow for full navigation using the D-Pad. The 700w routinely got criticized for its not-quite-there-yet D-Pad integration. So I find it a bit amusing that some are questioning how "smart" the Q is based on its lack of a touchscreen.
    Scott, the touchscreen allows "flexibility" (a touch on the screen with the corner of my thumb) when the blue halo isn't getting the job done (which is rare). Sounds really crazy, but it is so true.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I can really see myself using this device if it comes to Cingular. As ScottR said, this device has the power to run alot, if not all, the existing PPC programs. They just haven't been developed for Smartphone. If this phone is a hit, I'm sure the developers will be adding the necessary code to eliminate the need for a touchscreen.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strauss
    The Treo 700 series is trash.

See how easy it is to make a dumb statement. You may not like the Moto Q as a concept, but how can you make such a ridiculous statement that it is "trash?" What is trash is charging 2-2.5X for a device that is marginally better than the Moto Q at best. I'm disappointed - I didn't think you were a Palm fanboy.
    If I was design concusiness, I might, no forget that. My list of strikes against are killers in my opinion:
    1) Touchscreen? = No Strike1
    2) Application availability = very limited Strike2
    3) OS = WM Smartphone Strike3

And he's OUT!

I feel Palm made devices are the superior product right now, IMO. This includes the 700W. Even though I feel WM is difficult to navigate, Palm's hardware is more enticing to me.
    Treo fan earlier, Moved on to Nokia E61, very pleased. So, i am a bit neutral here.
    I feel with a $200 less ,Moto q will seriously dent the sale of 700 series.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    If I was design concusiness, I might, no forget that. My list of strikes against are killers in my opinion:
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I was pecking words out on the Tablet PC. Here: conscious
    Feel better?
    My wife really liked her fancy Blackberry (old and newest model with Bluetooth from Nextel) and then she tried the 600. The Blackberry is now just a phone, nothing more.

Ben
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    The Q looks cool is super thin and will get you more chicks!!!

LOL.. with some of the silly comments I have seen posted about the Q so far I thought I'd throw in one of my own
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    The Q looks cool is super thin and will get you more chicks!!!

LOL.. with some of the silly comments I have seen posted about the Q so far I thought I'd throw in one of my own
    Moto q does look like a gym conscious chick and that Treo reminds more of a beer chugging ho !!
    Too much , i should n't be that harsh on my ex.
  17.    #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    1) Touchscreen? = No Strike1
    2) Application availability = very limited Strike2
    3) OS = WM Smartphone Strike3

And he's OUT!

I feel Palm made devices are the superior product right now, IMO. This includes the 700W. Even though I feel WM is difficult to navigate, Palm's hardware is more enticing to me.
    1) Given (although it was close over the corner - I've used a 2125 before)
    2) BALL = check out Smartphone.Net; there's a smartphone analog for almost ALL categories of PPC or Palm software
    3) BALL = its a very stable, useable OS (I'd say better than PPC version if you're into one-handed phone operation - everything is either softkey or menu - pick a number or letter - driven).

Counts 2-1; I'm ahead in the pitch count so far. Care to try three more pitches?
    I could be wrong on this but I believe that the Q is the first Smartphone edition WM5 device making use of the new 320x240 screen resolution support. Most Smartphone edition devices have a 220x176 (or something funky like that) low-res screen. It may also be just the second thumbboard-equipped Smartphone device (the klunky ??? with the fold-out thumbboard was the first which died a quick death).

So I believe that the lack of edit-capable Office apps probably has more to do with the fact that the Smartphone edition devices didn't have what it took to make for a pleasing experience editing docs, etc. This Q could change all that, and with a low consumer-friendly price, it has the potential to be a much bigger seller compared to the Treo 700's. The 700's are simply priced outside of the mass market threshhold. If Q sales boom, expect to see a lot of developer interest.

Again, though, I don't want to get too excited because WM devices often look impressive on paper only to disappoint me when I tried to use one day to day. Usability and efficiency is extremely important to me. The 700p's extra dedicated app buttons and list-view home screen seem much more efficient than WM's Start menu concept and large-icon program folder.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  19.    #259  
    Scott R

I agree, we should restrain our enthusiasm until field testing can be completed - anyone got a Q and Sprint account they'd care to loan out for advanced beta testing?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Ultimately, I think the MotoQ is going to be one of those "nice on paper" and "nice in the ads" kind of device. I suspect it's going to be very slow...and simply because its WM it's going to crash and be totally cumbersome (I know you WM folks have gotten used to the lousy interface and can make lots of excuses and give me lots of hacks and add-ons to improve the system...but you're just putting lipstick on a pig.)

That said...I'm starting to agree with my brotherhood of Treo fanatics who are disappointed in the 700P. I sincerely hope Ed & the gang have some tricks up their sleeves to either A) drop the price quickly after initial demand is satisfied or B) a 2nd round of new devices much quicker than the 600-650-700 cycle went. If they don't move ahead and beyond the 700 form factor soon, I do fear that Palm is going to be a footnote in history.