Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Those are good pics. I have to say I am tempted by the Q because of the price and the form factor.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Imagine if Palm came out with stubby little stripped down version of Frankengarnet (we'll call it "Egor"). If you couldn't use it with a touchscreen, couldn't run office aps like Docs to Go, and it only supported a 320x240 screen...and let's also give Egor 32MB of user accessible RAM, too...to keep a it fair. How would that compare with the Q? How much should something like that sell for and would people really like it?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    The Q will come with a Word, Excel, PDF viewer... the one made by clearview I think...it has 64MB's of Program memory.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Remember that Smartphone edition started as a separate development from PocketPC...both using WinCE as its base... the decision was made to unify the development starting with WM5.

WM5 PocketPC edition got more from Smartphone edition than the other way around! One big item was the persistent storage model that PocketPC now has that Smartphone had all along...

...just some points to consider when saying that smartphone edtion is a watered down version... i dont think that statement is completely true….I think that they envisioned the need for two different types of devices but found that PocketPC’s by themselves (without phone/data) were dieing a slow death and would eventually be completely replaced by devices similar to the UMPC.

WM6 further merges (completely?) the two different versions but you wont see those devices for about two years im guessing...maybe a year but that seems really aggressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Off to get the MacBook?
    Not yet, but I did go to the Apple store today to drool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    <moved>

After you moved it, the thread seemed to have died. Looks like it was doing better where it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Degenerate SOB
    Actually Getches is the protagonist SOB, I am the degenerate SOB...just ask Badguy...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Actually Getches is the protagonist SOB, I am the degenerate SOB...just ask Badguy...
    Really? I've never known geatches to be "pro" anything...
  9.    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Imagine if Palm came out with stubby little stripped down version of Frankengarnet (we'll call it "Egor"). If you couldn't use it with a touchscreen, couldn't run office aps like Docs to Go, and it only supported a 320x240 screen...and let's also give Egor 32MB of user accessible RAM, too...to keep a it fair. How would that compare with the Q? How much should something like that sell for and would people really like it?
    Wrong, Spandex-man, it would be an "I"gor:

Without great wireless Activesync for the corporate set, nearly worthless. That's the big leg up for smartphone devices - I get my email, contacts, calendar, and tasks up to date all the time (either on my schedule or push).
    Last edited by dstrauss; 05/23/2006 at 08:38 AM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  10.    #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    After you moved it, the thread seemed to have died. Looks like it was doing better where it was.
    That's always the case; when Ronbo wants to cut the fisticuffs, he moves the thread. I posted it in the 700p forum BECAUSE it should be compared to the 700p, not cast-off into "Other Handhelds" world where only us regulars will follow. There are some so defensive of Palm that it's a good way to hide the fact the Emperor has no clothes.
  11.    #211  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Some pictures comparing thickness. The Treo 700 looks a bit tubby, needs to go on a a diet.

Surur
    Treo 700, the real Teletubby.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Treo 700, the real Teletubby.
    And might I point out what an internation HIT Teletubbies has been?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Wrong, Spandex-man, it would be an "I"gor:

Without great wireless Activesync for the corporate set, nearly worthless. That's the big leg up for smartphone devices - I get my email, contacts, calendar, and tasks up to date all the time (either on my schedule or push).
    I miss Marty -- what a great comedian!

Hey - I'm assuming my "Igor" version would include push capabilities. That's still part of the convergence. It just wouldn't have all the "power" features.

I think if you stripped down a Treo as I described previously you'd have a similarly equipped Treo to go head to head with MotoQ. The question is -- would anyone really want it?

I guess the other way of putting this is -- who would want a MotoQ? Its stripped down and can't run all the WM5 aps...doesn't have a touchscreen. So it's basically really good for exactly what you described -- e-mail and calendar. A stripped down Treo would compete nicely and could have a lower price point -- but would anyone buy it? I still don't think the MotoQ is "the" device to kill the Treo -- just too many limitations for power users.
    She's not fat, she's my smartphone.

So I'm still confused about some things. I checked Motorola's and Verizon's sites and couldn't find the answers...

1) What's the Flash ROM / run-time memory breadown? Their sites only provide one number: 64MB.

2) Does it come with an office apps viewer app?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Ugh. It is *not* stripped down WM5. It may come bundled without a version of pocket Office apps that can edit docs and MS may not offer a version of those apps separately, but that's by their choice. Developers could create a full-featured office suite if they so desired.

Let me remind you that this device supports multitasking, A2DP, voice dialing, etc. You certainly can't call this "stripped down" compared to the 700p.

Now, that doesn't mean I want one over the 700p. I *would* like to play with one. But I've owned PPC's in the past including a recent stint with the PPC-6700 and usability and efficiency stunk in comparison to my Treo 650. The Q's featurelist, design, and price impress me, but if the WM5 Smartphone user experience stinks, none of that will matter to me.
  16.    #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    She's not fat, she's my smartphone.

So I'm still confused about some things. I checked Motorola's and Verizon's sites and couldn't find the answers...

1) What's the Flash ROM / run-time memory breadown? Their sites only provide one number: 64MB.

2) Does it come with an office apps viewer app?
    It does have viewers for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and PDF. No editing software.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Ugh. It is *not* stripped down WM5. It may come bundled without a version of pocket Office apps that can edit docs and MS may not offer a version of those apps separately, but that's by their choice. Developers could create a full-featured office suite if they so desired.

Let me remind you that this device supports multitasking, A2DP, voice dialing, etc. You certainly can't call this "stripped down" compared to the 700p.

Now, that doesn't mean I want one over the 700p. I *would* like to play with one. But I've owned PPC's in the past including a recent stint with the PPC-6700 and usability and efficiency stunk in comparison to my Treo 650. The Q's featurelist, design, and price impress me, but if the WM5 Smartphone user experience stinks, none of that will matter to me.
    Scott - it IS a stripped down version of WM5 as far as functionality is concerned. It may have a different base of code -- but from the end users perspective it is Windows Mobile Lite....
    This kind of device is not for me, but there are plenty of people buying WM smartphones already, so there clearly is a market for WM-lite. It would be ideal for my wife, who currently uses an Imate jam. She uses maybe 20% of the functions, but she does use Exchange Activesync. This would be thinner, more styling, would need less protection as its not a touch screen device, and would impress her girlfriends. She completely missed out on the Razr craze as those phones does not have the functionality, and she likes entering text with a stylus on the on-screen keyboard (not T9). This device will appeal to plenty of people who want a phone+, as apposed to a PDA-, especially if its cheap.

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    -- but would anyone buy it? I still don't think the MotoQ is "the" device to kill the Treo -- just too many limitations for power users.
    Power users are a very small minority of the consumer base!!! Almost insignificant... I think the Q will kill the Treo in sales (both versions) and will introduce a whole bunch of new consumers into the "smartphone" market.

In the business market one of the BB's streangths is ease of use... WM PocketPC Edition (and Palm OS) is much to hard to use for your standard business person... you can give them a BB and about 5 min of instruction and they are set... the Q will be similar to that model... I really think this is a case of less is more.
    Haggar (or anyone) please provide specifics regarding which features are missing compared to the touchscreen version of WM5. We've got the edit-capable version of the Pocket Office apps so far. So what else?
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast