1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650 on Cingular and so does my wife. She wants a Blackberry 8700c. For the blackberry functionality, does this require a Blackberry data plan, or can you use the 19.99 unlimited Media.net plan?

Also, I have read some bad reviews of the desktop redirector client for Outlook. It sounds like BES is the best way to go for blackberry email. Any recommendations for low-cost BES providers?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I know you need a BB dataplan to use the data/e-mail on the phone. Since I use my companies BES and "everything" is synched to my 8700c wirelessly I really do not even need the desk top redirector. I only use the desktop software to load programs.

I still have my 650 in my desk but am lovin the stability and functionality of the 8700.
  3.    #3  
    I looked at Cingular's website and they change $49 for an unlimited Blackberry data plan. I think that alone may turn her off to the idea and push her more toward the windows mobile solution. Time will tell.

Thank you for the information txschafers.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    I looked at Cingular's website and they change $49 for an unlimited Blackberry data plan. I think that alone may turn her off to the idea and push her more toward the windows mobile solution. Time will tell.

Thank you for the information txschafers.
    $49 for a data only plan...you get $5 off if you combine voice and data. You can add unltd medianet if you only plan to use the BB for web browsing, but if you want push email, unfortunately you are going to be required to add BB unltd plan.
    The media net will NOT work with the bb for any sort of data. If you do not get the bb data plan, basically the phone can only be used for texting and calling, no data. I have tried because I love the ease of use of the BB, but I would not pay that much for data. I have the grandfathered unlimited media works, with 1500 texts and 200 mms. That suits me just fine for both my 650 and my wizard even though you are not supposed to have it if you have a PDA phone.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    The media net will NOT work with the bb for any sort of data. If you do not get the bb data plan, basically the phone can only be used for texting and calling, no data. I have tried because I love the ease of use of the BB, but I would not pay that much for data. I have the grandfathered unlimited media works, with 1500 texts and 200 mms. That suits me just fine for both my 650 and my wizard even though you are not supposed to have it if you have a PDA phone.
    I work for Cingular and have personally added this to a customer's account AND set it up for them in the store. He had a 7290. Obviously the salesperson that you dealt with did not know what they were doing. My Regional Account Exec was in the store when I did it...she's the person who told me I could do it. I called Tech-support and they walked me through the set-up process. The lady at Tech sent an icon to the customer's phone ota, and after that he was browsing away.
    Last edited by 9thfloormaniac; 05/18/2006 at 10:47 PM.
    I would be very interested in those settings for the BB to work with media net. Please if you can, post them in a PM or email them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    I would be very interested in those settings for the BB to work with media net. Please if you can, post them in a PM or email them to me.
    Just call CS and tell them to add unltd MediaNet to your account...then ask them to transfer you to Tech Support and ask them to send the icon to your blackberry that allows you to browse the web. Call from a land-line phone so that you can tweak the settings on your device if needed. It's that simple.
    I might consider doing that. How long ago did you do that for a customer?

A month ago.