Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    I have a question about the E61's email. Does the IMAP client do true syncing, work in the background, and have push (i.e., like Chatter)?
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    Email is the main reason. I'm addicted to Chatter.

The email client on the E61 does IMAP syncing. It does not sync sent messages to the server for some reason. It does do push with my Fastmail account. It works in the background as Symbian is true multitasking.

What it doesn't do is reconnect. If GPRS connection is lost, the email client doesn't reconnect automatically. I have to check it frequently to be sure it is working, which defeats the purpose of push for me. If GPRS is lost on the Treo, Chatter will keep checking and reconnects. I tried using Profimail, which does not have push, but I set it to connect at 1 minute intervals. It does not reconnect either if the connection is lost. That makes email on this device very unpredictable for me. I use my phone as much for email as for voice and the Treo/Chatter combo is better.

I find the same is true of the bluetooth headset connection on the Nokia. If I should get the headset and the phone out of bluetooth range and then come back in range the reconnection is not automatic. I have to manually connect again. Shouldn't be a big deal, but it drove me nuts.
    Ok, add me as another Treo convert. My Treo just got sold on Ebay and I went to the shop and plopped down $370 for a spanking new E61 that's being charged. Can't wait to lay my paws on it.
    Treo Moblog: http://nudle.textamerica.com
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_j
    Ok, add me as another Treo convert. My Treo just got sold on Ebay and I went to the shop and plopped down $370 for a spanking new E61 that's being charged. Can't wait to lay my paws on it.
    Post your honest opinion .
    Thanks
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Will do. I've been a Treo user since the 300 so Symbian's definitely a new experience but so far so good. Haven't been able to test out the wifi feature yet but initial wow factor's great. I picked it up directly from HK on my layover flight so it was nice to play with the device for a bit before laying down the cash. If any one else want one and happen to be in HK, PM me and i'll give you the address of the shop. It's the cheapest out of like 20 that i checked.
    Treo Moblog: http://nudle.textamerica.com
    I live in Maryland and left on a week long work-related trip to the corporate office of the firm I work for in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday morning. My E61 arrived at my house later that same Monday!!

It's absolutely bothering me that I can't play with it till I get back on Friday.

DANG IT!!! THIS FREAKIN' PLAIN SUCKS!!!

Sorry...................just had to vent...feel a 'leetle' better now.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    You will like it, aolumide! The only thing that **** me off is the Blackberry Connect. Mind you the software is fine, it is more of RIM/Cingular support of non-standard device that **** me off. I have it on for less than 2 days before I took it off my E61.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatan
    Email is the main reason. I'm addicted to Chatter.

What it doesn't do is reconnect. If GPRS connection is lost, the email client doesn't reconnect automatically. I have to check it frequently to be sure it is working, which defeats the purpose of push for me. If GPRS is lost on the Treo, Chatter will keep checking and reconnects. I tried using Profimail, which does not have push, but I set it to connect at 1 minute intervals. It does not reconnect either if the connection is lost. That makes email on this device very unpredictable for me. I use my phone as much for email as for voice and the Treo/Chatter combo is better.
    Thanks, that's very helpful. I should note, however, that Chatter has the same problem with the 700p, and the data connection seems to drop far more often than with the 650. I believe Marc is working on it, however.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    This is a great device. If you listen to internet radio get the app internet radio on my-symbian.com. Has anyone found a app like DA for symbian?
    thx
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    This is a great device. If you listen to internet radio get the app internet radio on my-symbian.com. Has anyone found a app like DA for symbian?
    thx
    Smiley, are you really smiling after getting the E61.
    Can you tell the Tre crowd what they are missing .
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    I've just received the Krusell horizontal case from extremePDA.com. Width and height wise it is perfect but the case is far thicker than it needs for the E61. So it is huge and doesn't really make the E61 looks good when wearing it. Also it is not easy to take the phone out of the case and I fear it may be actually easier to drop it while taking it out of the case then not using the case at all.
    This is my first TC post from my E61. I gotta say...I love this phone. The only (though somewhat understandable) thing I've noticed is that the e61's connection to my WPA/WPA2 encrypted wireless LAN is not as fast as I would have liked. Still, it's nice to have WiFi on a phone!
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    now that i have internetradio, wayfinder. i only miss iSilo and the TC community.
    smileyboy, I agree. i don't miss my Treo at all. Wi-Fi rocks and the Nokia podcast client rocks even more! Ok, one thing I do miss is Tube from Visual IT. I've emailed them about updating the NYC map to S60 3rd Edition but they say it won't be available until later this year! So right now I am using Google Map which is good but not as fast as having a static map. Not to mention no subway map.
    Hi, i'm a new e61 owner and have a few questions... came from a Treo 650, and I think these two, in terms of usage, is completly different! To me, it is hard to learn!!!

Does anyone know how to use AIM, or MSN with the e61?
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    now that i have internetradio, wayfinder. i only miss iSilo and the TC community.
    Still no sat nav?
    I think there are. I haven't followed the GPS thread on my-symbian.com but you should look there. Or howardforums.com
    The E61 is what I had hoped the Treo would be. But even after 3 firmware updates and custom ROM hacks, I prefer the E61. There is not as much 3rd party software, but that will come.
    Marcol,
    There are a couple of GPS software options, but none are as well known as, say TomTom. I have seen posts where people have hacked a version of TomTom onto their Symbian devices.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast