Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Does the E61 do the OTA Exchange ActiveSync synchronization of all PIM data? I see in the big HoFo E61 thread that people are using the familiar fastmail.fm IMAP/IDLE dance with the E61. Geez. I can do that with my Treo. :-)
    Got mine today .
    This thing simply rocks .Graet screen res and size.Keyboard is better.Weighs less than my T650.
    I am going to keep it .
    I would recommend to all treo owners. Please Playwith it at least if you can, to see ,what's out there , besides the monotonous world of treo.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Mundane. Ouch.
    Yeah . Changed it .
    Monotonous. Not much better. "Monotonous" and "mundane" are adjectives that belong with "Blackberry." "Riveting" and "scintellating" are reserved for the mighty Treo.

OK. Enough of that. Hows the email? OTA PIM stuff? Etc. Enquiring minds want to know.
    I do not want to begin a war here . Treo is a great device.
    After 3-4 years of t600, t650 and now T700 . No major changes in hardware.I was gettign bored.
    Therefore ,temporarily a big no to treo . Hope it becomes permanent .
    No resets with E61 in last 6 hrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    After 3-4 years of t600, t650 and now T700 . No major changes in hardware.I was gettign bored.
    Sounds great...please give us a full review after you've spent some time with it!
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    No intention on my side to start a war. Just was amused at the choice of adjectives. I got bored with the T650 and went sideways to the MDA, Blackberry. Came back to the T650 but am watching the noise on the Q and the E61. I am more than willing to jump ship on the T650. I am a heavy PIM user and want my mobile device to talk to my Exchange Server for all of the PIM stuff. Oh. And that not crashing thing. That's a definite plus.

So yeah, tell us what the E61 is like. It would not take a lot of pushing for me to plunk down the $500+ and give it a shot.
    Ok...after playing for the last few hours with it.....1st day thoughts.
    1. Picture caller Id is lame. Even more lame than the Treo. Pic is smaller!!! Have this beautiful widescreen and you get this tiny box with caller Id and photo towards the bottom half of screen!!!

2. E-mail set-up was o.k. Do it manually!! Nokia's packets were wrong with my provider. Have my e-mail push/pull set to every 2 hours (you can set it as low as 5 minutes) haven't hit 2 hours yet so I'll see how it works. P.S. I like the white LED that blinks when you get new mail. Wonder if it works with Text messages??!!

3. Wifi found my Apple Basestation with no problem. Browsing was fast. Page layout was pretty good.

4. The screen detail is much better than the Treo. I beamed a photo from the Treo to the E61 and compared the 2 side by side and the E61 was much better in clarity and fine detail.

5. The ringtones on this Beast are very "Meaty" for lack of a better word. They just sound more "Rich" not tinny at all. Playing music through the loudspeaker was awesome!! Haven't tried a conversation yet with Speakerphone. ***BTW*** They do not give you a stereo headset with this!!! Very Lame!!! Just a mono.

6. Keypads are o.k. I like the size of them better than the Treo...but I like the tactile feel of the Treo when they are depressed better.

7. Not crazy about the toggle joystick. Would have prefered a scroll wheel or the D-pad.

8. Reception has been top-notch so far.

9. Did a PC sync which worked ok. Would rather sync it with my MAC but was too cheap to use Nova media. Anyone try it yet???? Is it worth it??

10. I never use a camera on my phones because they all pretty much stink....but it would have been nice to have it. Oh....you think they could have included some kind of carrying case??!!! At least a hard clip a' la blackberry type?? SHEESH!!! Nothing!!
    I agree with all, you said .

1.Tmobile sim card works fine for me.

2.Web browsing is a LOT better than treo 650.

3.The thing is loaded with apps, office, realplayer, flash, golf, video conf,printer function and a lot others.
    Desperately need other3rd party apps like agendus , splash wallet etc.

4.Wider screen is helpful in spreadsheet, pdfs and web pages.

5.I am little skeptical about using my credit card on a european website therefore havenot tried novamedia.

6.Keyboard is comfy & wellspaced keys are easy on my thumb joints.

7.Case is lacking .A holster should have been included.

8.This thing is rocksolid in terms of resets, which are a problem with the T650.No freezes either.

9.Battery life still remains to be tested yet.

10.Phone voice and reception is great . Loudspeaker could have been a bit better.

11. Weighs less , thinner, but wider than my T 650.

Bottomline So far I am pleased with it. I want it to do 3-4 major jobs without a glitch.This one seems to be doing that .
    1.phone
    2.email.
    3.Organizer.
    4.web browsing.

Seems that this is going to be a keeper for now .

Would recommend, you all to atleast , play with it, for few hours , rather than discarding it as another one of those crackberries.
    Last edited by Mtreosexual; 05/20/2006 at 05:15 AM.
    Also lack of touch screen is annoying ocassionally . May be will need getting used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericroberts
    9. Did a PC sync which worked ok. Would rather sync it with my MAC but was too cheap to use Nova media. Anyone try it yet???? Is it worth it??
    You don't have to buy that plug-in. Just edit a file as per this instruction from EQO guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    You don't have to buy that plug-in. Just edit a file as per this instruction from EQO guy.
    How to do this exactly ?
    Do you need to buy BBedit.
    The disclaimer is a little scary .
    Anyone tried it succesfully ?
    First, find the file mentioned in the post. Then open it using a text editor such as BBedit or TextMate, or vi in terminal if that's what you want. (There are plenty free text editors out there, just search VersionTracker.)

Insert the content of the text file mentioned into the file you've just opened, saved it, close the text editor and that's it!

I haven't tried it since I don't have the phone yet. I can make a copy of the modded text file available for download if someone want to try it on their machine.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Mtreosexual,

Is it possible to set up favorites (applications, speed dial, etc.) to the characters on the keyboard like you can on the Treo 650?

Also, does the screen turn off when in standby like the Treo or does it display the time like a Sony Ericsson would?

Thanks.
    I need to read to confirm first part of you posting.
    Screen does turn off like the treo .
    Awesome battery life.
    Voice reception the best .
    So far i am pleased with this one .
    I wish the joystick in the middle had a soft cushion on top.
    Desperately in need of holster or case . There are n't any good ones .
    Will try some crackberry cases.
    Splash ID looks so much better on this .
    Awesome battery life.
    Voice reception the best .
    So far i am pleased with this one .
    I wish the joystick in the middle had a soft cushion on top.
    Desperately in need of holster or case . There are n't any good ones .
    Will try some crackberry cases.
    Splash ID looks so much better on this .
    Ah, but SplashID doesn't sync on E61 like in Palm... At least that's what Splash customer support told me.
    Some cool things about my 4-day old E61:

-- Battery life is phenomenal (took it off charger at 6am today. Had WiFi connected the whole day for push email, made voice calls, bluetooth on, used BT headset, used GPS for about 10 minutes and still had 3/5 bars at 8pm. 'nuff said).

-- Outgoing and incoming call quality and volume are excellent.

-- RF is fantastic (Typically Nokia).

-- Seamless switching between WiFi and GPRS works for the most part (about 80% of the time).

-- Actual ringtones can be heard via the BT headset when someone calls me.

-- Voice Dialing is very cool: No need to manually record voice tags and assign them to individual contacts. The e61 searches for the name in the contact list based on what you say.

-- Voice command is great: Most phone functions can be setup and invoked via voice commands (most of these are preset).

-- The option to announce the caller's name when a call is recieved is awesome: The e61 reads out the name off the contact list in between playing the ringtone (similar to "talking caller ID" in Panasonic cordless phones).

-- Contacts can be sorted "first name, last name".

Cheers,

djinn.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountZero
    Ah, but SplashID doesn't sync on E61 like in Palm... At least that's what Splash customer support told me.
    I beamed mine from Treo using infrared.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast