Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I spent all last night reading up on the PPC-6700 from forum after forum. Today, I went into several stores, trying it out as well as the Treo 700w (by the way, I have a Treo 650 with Sprint). Sprint has a 14 day try out plan for a phone, so I said, "What the heck" and took it home. That was at 5pm. It's 10:30pm now. My fingers hurt, my hand aches, my eyes hurt, and I'm frustrated. It's not so much the Windows Mobile. It's the damn keyboard. Coming off of using a Treo 650 for over a year, this is a pain in the @ss big time; I simply can't adjust to it. Sure, it has wi-fi which is hella fast, but after 5 hours I decided that I'm getting my $650 back (yes, I paid full price since I'm only 6 months in my contract with Sprint).

This is NOT an extensive review. There are things I did not even try on this device, such as the Calendar, Tasks, etc. I tried the Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, IE, and phone. All were fine for the most part. I just can't get with the form factor. I'm sure some will blast me for not giving it more time, but I'm a person that can decide on something fairly quickly. Once I tried the Treo over a year ago after a couple of hours, despite some bugs, I knew it was the device for me.

So, tomorrow, the 6700 goes back, I will reactivate my 650, and I will wait until June 1st for the 700p and invest in it (that's the date two Sprint reps told me in person today).
    I know exactly what you are talking about. If you do a lot of short emails, text messages, picture mails, etc....you can't ignore the fact that an exposed keyboard is awesome.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

the fact is it isnt for everyone, no phone is perfect for everyone. people have diff needs and opinions of what is best. i love wm5 and i love the form factor of my 8125, but not everyone does.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    i hated the KB on the 6700 right away, but i grows on you....just like wm.

there are a few fundamental flaws with the KB...cant type a . in alt lock mode (no fun typing ip addresses)...the red buttons are hard to read...all the numbers are on the top...the 0 and the o are not the same key but close to each other, get burned on that all the time.

right away (after a day) i was convinced i would hate this and assumed it was going back, but a week later i was convinced it was the better device for me.
  5.    #5  
    One of the big problems was that the top keys were a bit hard to get to since the screen was so close to them. This caused me to have to contort my fingers more and caused more pain. I'm a rare stylus user and the Treo keeps me from having to use it. This device is a bit different. I wasn't sure what to really expect, but I knew I had to try it so that I wouldn't be one of those naysayers who "hate" on a device they never tried. I'm happy I tried it.
    although i havent used the apache, i have used the wizard. I returned it when i got it in october not because I hated it, but because of the bug issues...but i will tell you this...it is a sweet system..BUT!! the treo has spoiled me. Having the keyboard/dialpad on the same side of the screen is essential to me. I know i could have gotten used to it, but it is different i know. That is why i am stoked for the HP iPAQ 69x5 phone
  7.    #7  
    Before the Treo, I had the HP 4355 PDA. An unbelievable PDA. I bought it solely because of the integrated keyboard. A few months later the 650 came out, and having a phone integrated sealed the deal. I won't be reverting again.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    Before the Treo, I had the HP 4355 PDA. An unbelievable PDA. I bought it solely because of the integrated keyboard. A few months later the 650 came out, and having a phone integrated sealed the deal. I won't be reverting again.
    i always wanted the 4355, this was before i had money i still dont have it, but i will have a PPC soon...finally

so yeah basically you are like me, being on the front side is basically essential
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I think it basically comes down to screen size vs. keyboard location. If you need a larger screen go for the 6700. if you need constant access to the kb, go with the Treo (or wait for the HP 6915).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I think it basically comes down to screen size vs. keyboard location. If you need a larger screen go for the 6700. if you need constant access to the kb, go with the Treo (or wait for the HP 6915).
    Cool new avatar there jlczl, but I do kind of miss the Phil Collins look-a-like getup.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I liked the feel of the 6700 keybiard better than my Treo 650's, but there were a few keyboard-related issues that helped me to return the device:
    - Navigating around with the device closed was a lot more cumbersome than with the Treo. The D-Pad ends up being too low to feel comfortable to hold and navigate one-handedly and the WM GUI and lack of dedicated hard buttons didn't help.

- No on-screen indicator for shift/ALT.

- Poor key color choice. White backlit letters against a silver background made the letters disapear in certain lighting conditions.

- Too long of a delay when opening/closing it while the screen rotated.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Cool new avatar there jlczl, but I do kind of miss the Phil Collins look-a-like getup.
    Thanks..................... I do kinda miss the old one cuz it was more original. Maybe it'll return.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Thanks..................... I do kinda miss the old one cuz it was more original. Maybe it'll return.
    Put him in the car and max out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I liked the feel of the 6700 keybiard better than my Treo 650's, but there were a few keyboard-related issues that helped me to return the device:
    - Navigating around with the device closed was a lot more cumbersome than with the Treo. The D-Pad ends up being too low to feel comfortable to hold and navigate one-handedly and the WM GUI and lack of dedicated hard buttons didn't help.

- No on-screen indicator for shift/ALT.

- Poor key color choice. White backlit letters against a silver background made the letters disapear in certain lighting conditions.

- Too long of a delay when opening/closing it while the screen rotated.
    I'm using an 8125, not the 6700, but as for my experience:

Navigating

D-pad is easy to use one-handed; and it becomes a true one-handed device with the addition of the freeware utility smartskeys

On-screen shift/alt indicator:

Caps/Shift Keyboard Notifier on Screen
    Go to:

\HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd

Create the registry entry called EnableIndicator and assign the DWORD value of 1

After soft-resetting the device, an indicator will appear next to the keyboard icon on the bottom of the screen! Tapping the Shift key shows a "C" while tapping the Dot key shows a dot!

Poor Key COlor Choice:

A real problem. Try tilting keyboard bottom away from you to see letters better, and towards you to see numbers better (works for my old eyes)

Long Delay Switching Orientation:

HAven't experienced that. My 8125 switches almost instantly with opening/closing keyboard.

[size=2]Caps/Shift Keyboard Notifier on Screen
    Go to:

\HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd

Create the registry entry called EnableIndicator and assign the DWORD value of 1

After soft-resetting the device, an indicator will appear next to the keyboard icon on the bottom of the screen! Tapping the Shift key shows a "C" while tapping the Dot key shows a dot!

-------------------

Can you tell me what you mean by \HKCU\ControlPanel? I'm trying to find this and enable it because I'm in need of it as well.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73

Go to:

\HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd

-------------------

Can you tell me what you mean by \HKCU\ControlPanel? I'm trying to find this and enable it because I'm in need of it as well.
    This is a registry hack on the 8125. Not for the faint of heart, because you can screw up the handheld and have to do a hard boot (losing everything) if you mess up. You'll need a registry editing program or a file viewer like Total Commander that will let you edit that part of the registry. Follow the suggested discussions by Jack to see how it's done.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    There are 2 things that have kept me away from the 6700.

1) The screen is very difficult to see when you are outside.

2) The speakerphone is absolutely awful.

For some that might not be a deal killer. But for me it is.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73

Go to:

\HKCU\ControlPanel\Keybd

-------------------

Pretty sure that hack doesn't work on the 6700.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Weird but true. "On-screen shift/alt indicator" hack doesn't work on the 6700 but does on the 8125 while the "change keyboard backlight duration" hack doesn't work on the 8125 but does on the 6700. Go figure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast