1.    #1  
    It would seem that to better compete with other alternatives, RIM is offering small businesses (< 15 employees) free server software.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/05/0...erry_giveaway/
    Wow. Interesting move by RIM.

I used and hated the Blackberry 7230. The Treo is much nicer, although the BB keyboard is more usable. It is bigger.

BB's Desktop Redirector is horrible. It is worse than an Old Testament plague. Stay away.

I am a 1-man shop phonewise so until now BES was out. Too expensive.

But if Blackberry Connect can be successfully implemented on my T-Mobile Treo 650 and it can talk to my free 1-user Blackberry Enterprise Server and sync all PIM data reliably over the air....

Nah. Why add another layer of complexity to my life?

I will wait until Chatter's Exchange Plugin will do this for me. Or I will switch to a WM device that will talk to my Exchange Server, which complicates my life quite enough, thanks.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    To download the software, users need to own at least one Blackberry device - you need its PIN to authorise the download.
    So no testing it with your Treo and BB Connect
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    Wow. Interesting move by RIM.
    Seems like a move to counter Palm's momentum in this arena w/o hurting their main source of income.
    While RIM might be looking over their shoulder at Palm as a competitor, that's not where RIM's real problems lie.

I think RIM is doing this to counter Microsoft's ability to do over-the-air push from an Exchange Server to a WM device. And I think it is too little, too late. RIM is doomed in the long run.

My Exchange Server, out of the box, contains everything it needs to sync all my PIM data and push all my email over the air to a WM5 device. I don't need to buy and maintain an extra dedicated server for Blackberry. Both at a one-user level and at bigger corporate levels, the less you have to buy and maintain, the better. RIM will lose server sales over time to the Microsoft alternative.

Now all I need is a suitable WM5 device. That's an entirely different question, one which Palm is evidently running like blazes to answer as evidenced by the 700w. But it is also going to cannibalize the Blackberry market. If your company is pushing data wirelessly to your handheld, your company is going to buy WM5 handhelds, which RIM doesn't manufacture. RIM loses on the handheld side of the equation.

I think in a few years RIM will be about as relevant in the mobile world as Novell is in the networking world. Or WordPerfect in the word processing world.

Me, personally, I like my Treo 650. But as soon as a decent WM5 unit comes out on GSM (and it might even be the 700w, with all of its faults), I'm buying it.

I have a Blackberry 7230. I have a spare old workstation that my IT guy said would run Blackberry Enterprise Server just fine. My IT guy has installed BES at many places before. I can get the server software free now. So I already own all of the pieces needed to make this go. It would only take a little bit of IT time to connect the dots.

I am not going to do it. I will bet there are lots of one-man shops like me. And I bet that the big shops with heavy IT infrastructures will welcome the ability to get rid of some complexity once the Microsoft solution is fully in place.

Recommendation: short RIM stock. (Disclaimer: I am not a stockbroker, etc.)
  6.    #6  
    I agree tasty ... what I was driving at is Palm wins and BB loses whether:

1. Peeps who choose WM5 / Exchange have the best in class palm Treo 700w and can do everything BB does with more functionality and cheaper.
    2. Peeps who choose POS have the best in all classes palm Treo 650/700p and can do everything BB does with more functionality and cheaper.

So Palm has a leg up either way. Yes the BB is probably more stable than either of Palm's alternatives but lack of stability never really hurt windows sales did it
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I agree tasty ... what I was driving at is Palm wins and BB loses whether:

1. Peeps who choose WM5 / Exchange have the best in class palm Treo 700w and can do everything BB does with more functionality and cheaper.
    2. Peeps who choose POS have the best in all classes palm Treo 650/700p and can do everything BB does with more functionality and cheaper.

So Palm has a leg up either way. Yes the BB is probably more stable than either of Palm's alternatives but lack of stability never really hurt windows sales did it
    I don't know about you guys, but I fought with my Treo 650 to get it to correctly sync with our Exchange Server for months, and every other time it would blow everything away on the Palm. Even when I reinstalled and it did work (once), it could only do Calendar and Email, if and when it worked. Now, my 8125 syncs flawlessly with the same Exchange Server, and includes Contacts and Tasks.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  8.    #8  
    I think the situation is markedy changed with the WM5 update out and BBconnect ready to pop. Exchange users will probly be drawn to 700w and others to 650/700p with Good, Chatter or whatever.