1.    #1  
    I posted this on HowardForums as well. (Due to my good luck in the past with problems here I'm also going to duplicate the thread here...) I'd appreciate any insight that anyone has on this topic ...

---

Ok, this has now happened to me on two trips that I've tried it on so it's a huge problem.

If I turn on my 8125 in another country (so far, Japan, Thailand and now England.) my phone will never pull an account. It just goes into "Searching" mode.

If I pull the SIM card and drop it into my Sony-Ericcson W900i then it works fine so the problem is not with the Cingular account, it's with the phone.

I *thought* this phone was a quad-band phone with International Roaming ability. If I can't have this feature I might as well have a CDMA phone.

Any thoughts? With all the problems I've been having with this 8125 this may be the camel that breaks the straws back and causes me to dump it.

Any help that anyone can offer would be most appreciative. (I'm data-stranded at the moment).
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Where did you post it on the Howard forums? I have been a member over there since Oct 2001.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
  3.    #3  
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  4.    #4  
    Got it fixed ... it wasn't the SIM card ... apparently Cingular had to do something on the back end to force the device to accept a network from a different country. The way it was explained to me is that sometimes the device gets "stuck" in the last country it was in.

I don't fully understand the problem, but it's working now quite well.

Thanks again for the responses.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Mods

Is it possible to change or annotate a thread title - this one sets off alarm bells when none were warranted. Lazy headline readers like me get confused.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6.    #6  
    well .. it was a huge showstopping problem at the time ... fortunately the problem was with Cingular and not the device. (and one that they were able to fix)

I am now all for changing the title.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    well .. it was a huge showstopping problem at the time ... fortunately the problem was with Cingular and not the device. (and one that they were able to fix)

I am now all for changing the title.
    Actually, as thread starter, can't you change the title?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Same problem you stated above, the only way to get it out of this searching mode is to put the SIM in a different phone and then switch back. This problem started right after Cingular "upgraded" my SIM chip to the 3g from 2g version. What was your solution? I have been in the store and they promptly said it was a phone issue and call the warranty hotline ???? Thanks