1.    #1  
    Hi Guys, I'd be grateful for some info. I use TomTom Navigator 5 on my Treo 650 and together with the Phone, PIM, email and web browsing sat nav is just about the most useful thing my 650 does. I'm thinking of moving to a WM5 when reasonable-size 3G devices become available in the UK, maybe the rumored 3G GSM Treo, maybe the Hermes or one of the other upcoming HTC 3G smartphones. At the moment, the thing that gives me most pause for thought is this post from jin14 in the 700w forum:

Quote Originally Posted by jin14
    Impressions
    TOMTOM was a pain to install. It takes about 7 seconds to launch on my Ipaq 4150 and works really well. I really love the full screen display and the easy to use fingure buttons on that screen. Now on the 700w it's a different story. It takes like 28 seconds to launch which leaves you wondering man did I click on it. Then after the load it does run slowly when you are entering in addresses ( because it searches through and limits per the letters you type) and when figuring out the route ( my route from Easton MD -> Wheaton MD ) took about 55 seconds to figure out the route. On my 4150 it takes like 5 seconds.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=109796

28 seconds!!! I just timed it on my 650 and took between 4 and 5 seconds to launch. I really don't know if I could live with 28 seconds and slow running address look up and routing too.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Is 28 seconds typical for the 700w?

2) Does TomTom launch and run faster on other WM5 devices?

3) If the problem's universal on the 700w, could it be down to the comparatively low level of RAM (32 MB, but much less than that is actually ever free)?

If we could get some real numbers in answer to 1) and 2), that would be great.

There is of course a possible mitigating factor here: multitasking. Slow launching wouldn't really matter so much if TomTom was always running. Is there something like Resco Locker for Palm OS that can force an application to stay in RAM and keep running (i.e. stop the OS closing it as part of RAM management).

One of the good things about TTN5 is that it's supplied in both the Palm and WM versions and can be activated on two devices. It had been my intention to install and activate on a new WM5 device, but if I can't get performance close to that on the 650 I'll probably have to think about a different sat nav app (are others any better?) or give up the WM5 idea altogether.
  2.    #2  
    At the risk of talking to myself , one more data point, MioMap on a Mio A701:

Quote Originally Posted by Lars-Göran Nilsso
    What is slightly disappointing, especially considering the fast CPU in the A701, is the slow update speed of the maps when you're browsing them. I have what is considered as a fairly old smart phone, a SonyEricsson P910i, running TomTom and it's quicker at updating the map data than the A701 is.
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/04...701/page4.html
    I have the o2 XDA Exec (aka HTC Universal) and use the TomTom Navigator 5 software with a bluetooth GPS. The software works great and only takes about 5-10 seconds to load but that may be because of the faster processor (XScale 520 MHz) and more RAM (64 MB). I have never had a problem with the software running slow or maps refreshing slowly. Plus, everything looks awesome on the 3.6 in VGA screen
  4.    #4  
    That's a bit more encouraging. Thanks!

I guess one of the advantages of WM over Palm OS is the greater variety of sat nav apps. Although I think TomTom is great in many ways (simple, intuitive and efficient interface, really good 3D map display, fast rerouting, tons of available POIs, etc) the age of the TeleAtlas maps is a real drawback. I’ve been reading about this over the last couple of days and wondering if I wouldn’t be better off with one of the alternatives that use Navteq maps (Co-Pilot, Destinator, AA Navigator, etc). The general consensus seems to be that the Navteq maps are much more up-to-date.