1.    #1  
    http://www.emsnow.com/npps/story.cfm?ID=18878

Remember that IDC has strange ways of what they include / don't include in the "handheld" category.

"Handheld devices do not include telephony but may include wireless capabilities that enable Internet access and text communication. These devices feature evolved operating systems or applications environments such as the Palm OS, Windows Mobile Pocket PC, Linux, or other proprietary platforms with the ability to download, run applications, and store user data beyond their required PIM capabilities."
    The Canalys figures for Q1 2006 are out. They skipped Q42005, so these are the first real numbers for 6 months.

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006043.htm

It makes for moderately interesting reading. Symbian is really consolidating its lead, and expanding very vigorously into Asia. Its now less dependent on Nokia, who still sells 70% of Symbian handhelds (down from 80% however). The centre of gravity for smart mobile devices is moving east very fast.

MS is the number two OS vendor, but lost market share (down from 18.3% to 12%) YoY, and also sold about the same number of licenses (1.97 million vs 2 million). ( http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005041.htm ) The static numbers are likely due to the crash in non-phone PDA's. Palm shipped 1.03610 devices, including the Treo 700w. POS share was not quantified, and it can no longer be deduced, as Palm also ships WM products. In the old battle between WM and POS, its however almost certain to be > 66%vs33%.

Blackberry rulez, and has grown extremely vigorously. I however feel their days are numbered, due to extreme competition by big brand names such as Microsoft, Palm and Nokia..

Lastly, the unit sales of non-converged handheld devices have really slipped, and I question whether anyone will still be making them in a year's time.

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Palm shipped 1.03610 devices, including the Treo 700w. POS share was not quantified, and it can no longer be deduced, as Palm also ships WM products. In the old battle between WM and POS, its however almost certain to be > 66%vs33%.
    If I amn interpreting this right, if 475k of Palm's were handhelds (POS) only, that leaves a max of 655k Treos. Let's say for arguments sake that the Treos split 50-50, that would mean the breakdown would be 78% of Palm's devices were POS and 22 % WM.

Blackberry rulez, and has grown extremely vigorously. I however feel their days are numbered, due to extreme competition by big brand names such as Microsoft, Palm and Nokia..
    But 655k is a huge number and undoubtedly trashed BB's convegence devices count. While ther eis a lotta peopoe using a BB and a phone, I gotta think most are going to switch to one device and with BB Connect, and all the other Treo mail alternatives available, I see BB's future and not too bright.

Lastly, the unit sales of non-converged handheld devices have really slipped, and I question whether anyone will still be making them in a year's time.
    HP's already announced they are out. Dell seems to be quaifing ... I think Palm and BB will be the only players in 12-18 months in the "it ain't got a phone category".
    Regarding the 66vs33%, I was referring to the whole mobile ecosystem, not just within Palm. Within Palm its probably 10% wm vs 90% POS.

Regarding handheld devices, even Palm looks as if they want to get out of disconnected handheld devices.

Surur
    Wait. HP is out? I didn't see that one coming. Their PDA phones are not that competitive. When will they quit phone too?