Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a serious gadget-addict and have been itching for a new phone/pda to play with. I've had my Treo 650 for nearly 2 years (which for me is like an alcoholic sipping from the same bottle of wine for two days...)

I've always been intrigued by the new Blackberry 8700, so I signed up with T-Mobile (while keeping my Sprint account active). Well, I have tried to embrace the Blackberry, but I'm thinking at this point in time, there is nothing to replace my Treo.

As much as I like certain things about the Blackberry, like Edge and push email , I am going to return it to T-Mobile. Decided
    other than providing a novel new toy to play with, there are simply too many things I am giving up compared to the Treo including:

-a much better calendar and contacts PIM (the BB's is pretty rudimentary)

- an HTML/Rich email reader (I was shocked to find that the BB, which is
    hailed as the ultimate email device, doesn't support any email formatting,
    including embedded images, bold, italics, etc)

-better handling of attachments (I may have been missing something, but I could never
    get the BB to open up an .jpg email attachments)

-touchscreen (the touchscreen simply makes the Treo a superior one-handed
    device)

-predictive text (I use a program called TextPlus on my Treo that saves a
    ton of keystrokes; no such program exists for the BB). This is probably the
    single biggest deal breaker for me. What a difference a simple little
    program can make...

-camera (at the crappy resolution of the Treo, it's really more of a
    gimmick, but it's a useful tool for quickly documenting things on the fly
    -- like a malfunctioning parking meter that got you a ticket...)

-ability to completely sync with a Mac (the PocketMac program for the BB is
    buggy and bare-bones. The only way to add applications to the BB is to
    hook it up to a PC)

-a less buggy device (My BB has had numerous total crashes necessitating
    hard resets and a trip to a PC to reinstall the OS. My Treo crashes too (it's always magically resetting itself,
    but at least I can quickly restore it from the SD card.)

-an SD card and an mp3 player

Admittedly, the Blackberry isn't promoted for it's PDA functions, but I
    thought they'd be more robust...

Wishing the upcoming 700p was (1) coming to Sprint, and (2) more of an upgrade/change than EVDO/EDGE and better camera. (I need new toys to play with)

Just thought I'd share my experiences going over to the Dark(berry) side...
    I cannot tell you how many times folks ask me if my Treo 650 is a Blackberry. -Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    I'm a serious gadget-addict and have been itching for a new phone/pda to play with. I've had my Treo 650 for nearly 2 years (which for me is like an alcoholic sipping from the same bottle of wine for two days...)

I've always been intrigued by the new Blackberry 8700, so I signed up with T-Mobile (while keeping my Sprint account active). Well, I have tried to embrace the Blackberry, but I'm thinking at this point in time, there is nothing to replace my Treo.

As much as I like certain things about the Blackberry, like Edge and push email , I am going to return it to T-Mobile. Decided
    other than providing a novel new toy to play with, there are simply too many things I am giving up compared to the Treo including:

-better handling of attachments (I may have been missing something, but I could never

device)

program can make...

hook it up to a PC)

hard resets and a trip to a PC to reinstall the OS. My Treo crashes too (it's always magically resetting itself,

Wishing the upcoming 700p was (1) coming to Sprint, and (2) more of an upgrade/change than EVDO/EDGE and better camera. (I need new toys to play with)

Argelius,

I JUST WENT THROUGH THE SAME thing last week! If fact I wrote about it here last week! Had a 650 for two months and somehow convinced myself I wanted the new 8700 from T-Mobile - so I sold my Treo and waited for 2 months for the new 8700 which came out on the 17th.

Well, that didn't last long! Returned the BB after 3 days! Ordered another Treo from Palm (unlocked, unbranded) and it's due to deliver TODAY!!!!!!! Can't wait! I've missed it so!

device)

program can make...

hook it up to a PC)

The 7100 series BB have a predictive text, mostly because they don't have a QWERTY keyboard. I had a 7130E for about a week and hated every minute of it. It simply can't do what a Treo can, especially attachment handling. My Treo has saved my **** on biz trips more than once. Had I had the BB, my @ss would have been toast.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris
    Argelius,

I JUST WENT THROUGH THE SAME thing last week! If fact I wrote about it here last week! Had a 650 for two months and somehow convinced myself I wanted the new 8700 from T-Mobile - so I sold my Treo and waited for 2 months for the new 8700 which came out on the 17th.

Well, that didn't last long! Returned the BB after 3 days! Ordered another Treo from Palm (unlocked, unbranded) and it's due to deliver TODAY!!!!!!! Can't wait! I've missed it so!
    Cool...glad I'm not the only one! Fortunately, I'm still in my 14-day trial period with T-Mobile, so I'll have to visit them and cancel. Hopefully this wont be too big of a hassle...
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Cool...glad I'm not the only one! Fortunately, I'm still in my 14-day trial period with T-Mobile, so I'll have to visit them and cancel. Hopefully this wont be too big of a hassle...
    Nah, T-Mobile shouldn't be a problem. They were great when I returned my BB; even said they weren't surprised since I was coming from a 650! What a relief to know I'll have a 650 in my hands today! Good luck!
    I sold my Treo 650 and got an 8700c on the Cingular network and could not be happier. it does everything I need since I do not need to listen to MP3's, watch movies or take pictures with my smartphone. all nice ot haves but not necessary. Like almost everyone on this site my Treo would reset occassionally and was just not as stable as I needed it to be. I have been running my 8700 for a solid 3 weeks with not a single hiccup. It is a rock solid device. Sorry you had a problem with the T-Mobile phone. I have ben a loyal Treo/Palm person for years but Palm IMO did no quality control when they rolled out the 650.

I am waiting for a GSM WM5 version of the Treo which might bring me back to a Treo.
    I am waiting for a GSM WM5 version of the Treo which might bring me back to a Treo.
    I am in the same boat as you but instead of going for a BB, I went to the HTC wizard. The wizard has been a great device. I am waiting for an extended battery and then, IMO it will be my favorite device. I really do like windows but I was a little leary of jumping ship from Palm OS to it. No lockups or glitches that my treo had.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    I had a 8125 but sent it back because of the lack of one handed functionality. I have seen this argued to the contrary, but If you have to type in a phone number or numeric prompts the virtual keyboard is too small and flipping out the keyboard a pain. Other then that I loved the phone and WM5. the only reason I might stay with a BB is the international unlimited data roaming. this is not offered for the Treo throguh Cingular....only on the BB. That may keep me with the BB.
    I'm a member of this club too. I'm back on my new Treo after the MDA and the BB. I really appreciate the onehanded operation and welcomed back my old friend Chatter on IMAP. The Treo isn't perfect but the features fit what I need to do. I will, though, probably buy the Next Cool Thing With A Keyboard that comes along.
  11.    #11  
    Maybe the Motorola Q...
    You say that the same way Homer Simpson says "Doughnuts."
    I would buy a Motorola Q. It seems like it will operate like a BB but have a WM5 OS.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    My co. gave me a 7XXX series blackberry gave it back also , treo with a touch screen and chatter owa , is so much better. This is the 2nd time I tried something new and came back, also tried a 6700 for a month, sold that. Very very hard to beat the Treo
    Try an 8700. If you are not using your Treo to listen to MP3's, movies and all the other non-business stuff then the 8700 is fantastic. I have had it for about a month now and not one reset. Rock solid on e-mail of course but since I am on my companies BES all of my calendar, contacts, memos and tasks sync wirelessly. The only time I need to sync with my laptop is if I want to download some software to the phone and in many instances I can do that over the air as well. The keyboard on the 8700 is WAY easier to use then the small keys of the Treo. I also had a 7100 and hated it. The Suretype feature was annoying. The 8700 is the best BB yet.

However, I am a big fan of WM5 after trying an 8125. I think if a WM5 Treo comes out for GSM I might try it. Or maybe the Motorola Q. I am a gadget freak what can I say!
  16.    #16  
    i am currently trying out a ppc_6700 after impulsively buying a used one on ebay. I am still having "fun" trying to figure it out. This Windows Mobile OS is so unnecessarily complicated. Treo is still definitely the one to beat! Just wish Palm would come out with some truly upgraded software and hardware (more than a better camera and EVDO, although those will be appreciated...)
    Did this very same thing 3 months ago - thought the BB would be as good or better than Treo, um no - turns out Treo is tops right now.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I sold my Treo 650 and got an 8700c on the Cingular network and could not be happier. it does everything I need since I do not need to listen to MP3's, watch movies or take pictures with my smartphone. all nice ot haves but not necessary. Like almost everyone on this site my Treo would reset occassionally and was just not as stable as I needed it to be. I have been running my 8700 for a solid 3 weeks with not a single hiccup. It is a rock solid device. Sorry you had a problem with the T-Mobile phone. I have ben a loyal Treo/Palm person for years but Palm IMO did no quality control when they rolled out the 650.

depends on what you have as far as software running - mine has over 40 apps installed and it runs like a champ.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I had nothing loaded other then Worldmate and FileZ. My BB has Worldmate, Pocket Day Pro and Handmark Express. Not a single hiccup. don't get me wrong I love my Treo and still have my other one in my desk right now. ( I sold the other one I had )
    The perfect phone for me would be a Treo running WM5 with BB Connect. However, the BB Connect version I downloaded and ran on my 650 did not work too well. I am hoping that is based on the software version.
    I travel internationally so unless Cingular comes up with an unlimited "International" data plan for the Treo I will probably have to stick with a BB.
    Like everyone else, I too made a switch. I went from 650 to the MDA back to 650 back to the MDA back to a 650 and now again on the MDA! (My signature is missing the "true" 2nd time with the mda) You might think I'm crazy, but I can't help it..I too am a gadget freak. T-mobile has apparently not caught onto my constant returns of the mda. After my last attempt with the Mda and thoroughly being pissed off by what I thought was a poor device, I decided to give it one more try.

Why?..although I love my treo to death and still think it is the best device hands down (despite the occasional spontaneous reset), it didn't have wi-fi, which is something I didn't necessarily anticipate or need previously. Like some others, I too travel to Europe for work about once every 3 - 4 weeks and I use my phone over there. But because there is no unlimited data plan while travelling abroad ($15 for 1mb of data!!!! can you believe it), I can't run Goodlink, which I love, while over there on my treo. However, with the MDA and wi-fi, I can jump onto my companies wi-fi network and the hotel's network. I can also then use skype to make overseas calls back to the US to friends and home for really, really cheap as opposed to $.99/minute, which is also absurd. Carriers are going to have to get with the idea of offering unlimited INTERNATIONAL data plans for devices other than the Blackberry. Yet, I do love my t-mo service. After some serious research, I was able to definitely make my mda more of a one-handed device. However, it's still no 650...the popping out of the keboard isn't so great at all. And from a purely "surface" perspective...whereas I see a lot of Treos all over in business settings, I can't help but look like a kid with a sidekick when I pop out the keyboard. I am definitely getting to like the MDA more now and I'm getting used to the fact that is indeed a slower device. They need to reduce the "windows" footprint and also add a real sd slot instead of the mini-sd. If you work in a business enviornment, you need to be able to pop out the card and put it into a computer. With my treo I had the ultra II SD with the USB side that was wonderful for giving a file to someone in an office.

Will I go back to my 650?..probably and I'll only use the MDA when I'm over in Europe. If Palm releases a device with wi-fi, I'll be back there in a second and the mda will be on ebay :-). But all in all, the mda, after adding some apps to make it one-handed, is not a completely bad device.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast