Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by cptncelchu
    When OS5 comes out, people will want to buy new Palms because of all the great and innovative enhancements! In the year 2002, people will be saying, "You mean I can play mp3s on this thing? That's amazing!"
    You can count on it. Remember when the IIIc came out? Everyone kept saying.."oh my god, now they have a color one to?" You would have thought Palm invented color itself!

I can't wait to see what they eventually develop this platform into. It's just a shame it takes so god damn long for them to make improvements. What really aggravates me is Palm's cavalier attitude; "Improvements? What improvements...our product is simply perfect as is!"

[Edited by foo fighter on 02-04-2001 at 10:38 PM]
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    I can't wait to see what they eventually develop this platform into. It's just a shame it takes so god damn long for them to make improvements. What really aggravates me is Palm's cavalier attitude; "Improvements? What improvements...our product is simply perfect as is!"

[Edited by foo fighter on 02-04-2001 at 10:38 PM]
    I wonder what would have happened if Bill Gates still believed that 640K was enough for everyone...
    Originally posted by cptncelchu
    I wonder what would have happened if Bill Gates still believed that 640K was enough for everyone...
    Steve Jobs would make a laughing stock out of him. Oh, that's right. He already did.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself .
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  4.    #44  
    I love MS bashing as much as the next guy, but I always defend Bill when people quote his "640k ought to be enough for anybody" line out of context. He said that in an interview when the IBM PC was just released. You have to remember that at the time he said that, the blockbuster "home computer" (as they were called back then) was the Apple II+, which had a whopping 64k. He did not imply that 640k would serve the needs of all future computing; he was saying that with 640k, you could run nearly all the software that was available for the PC at that time.

The Palm V/m505 series is about innovation in design, not technology -- similar to the iMac. When the Palm V was released, it wasn't any more capable than the Palm III, but it turned out to be the company's best-selling model. In fact, Jeff Hawkins was quite deliberate about this: he wanted to focus development on the design, not the platform. There's a huge market for handhelds out there for non-geeks (most people), but unless you can offer a product that doesn't make you look like a geek, you'll never access that market.
    So, what would you like to see as a feature of a new Palm or Visor ?
    Here i have some ideas:
    1. ARM processor. I can't wait to see such a powerful processor working. But maybe we have to wait until 2002
    2. Screen: 16 Bit color is enough, but resolution should be 320x320. Then you can view documents easily and you can even run old applications via pixel doubling.
    3. Expansion Slot: Must be Springboard-compatible. A very useful module would be a IBM Microdrive (PalmOS 4 was said to have support for more than 8 Megs)
    4. Standard DC plug: Simple, but very important: A DC plug for external AC or DC adaptors. With such an adaptor you could use a Visor/Palm with a GPS module without additional batteries in a car.
    5. Maybe a shock resistant version? What about an Siemens M35-like version that is shock and water resistant?
    Originally posted by weberflo
    So, what would you like to see as a feature of a new Palm or Visor ?
    Here i have some ideas:
    1. ARM processor. I can't wait to see such a powerful processor working. But maybe we have to wait until 2002
    If the ARM processors are as good as they say they are, and if they work well with PalmOS 5, it could be worth the wait.

2. Screen: 16 Bit color is enough, but resolution should be 320x320. Then you can view documents easily and you can even run old applications via pixel doubling.
    But how would you do this without making the form factor of the Palm/Visor larger? There are people who complain that the current 160X160 screen is hard enough to read.

3. Expansion Slot: Must be Springboard-compatible. A very useful module would be a IBM Microdrive (PalmOS 4 was said to have support for more than 8 Megs)
    Agreed about Springboard compatibilty, if we're just talking about Visors. I doubt Palm would bite the bullet and licence the Springboard slot. They're more likely to keep doing what they're doing - try out new formats, like Secure Digital.

Remember that Palm has already failed once with expansion. I forget the model number, but it was a variant on the Palm III - owing to poor slot design or poor module design, the memory module would come loose and require a hard reset to get the unit going again.

As for the Microdrive - this has been covered in other places, but unless Handspring increases the power output to the Springboard slot or IBM makes a major reduction to the power consumption of the Microdrive, it's not usable in (the current) Springboard slots.

4. Standard DC plug: Simple, but very important: A DC plug for external AC or DC adaptors. With such an adaptor you could use a Visor/Palm with a GPS module without additional batteries in a car.
    This is a good idea. This would also allow for direct recharging of batteries on rechargable Palms/Visors.

5. Maybe a shock resistant version? What about an Siemens M35-like version that is shock and water resistant?
    Hey, if they can ruggedize a laptop...

Maybe someone will be inspired by Apple's latest Powerbook design. Coming soon - the Handspring Visor Titanium.
    Originally posted by hart@catholic.org
    I think one of the biggest issues will be whether it has a reflective color display (like the iPAQ) or if keeps the same color display which makes most color PDAs useless outside. Assuming that Compaq can produce the iPAQ in quantity AND no one is producing a reflective color PDA (Sony is rumored to be developing one), all it takes is a good advertising campaign of showing the iPAQ in sunlight versus a Palm color PDA (or anybody elses) to make the iPAQ the dominant PDA.

here are some early pictures that may answer your question...with details...

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_S...MODE=FLAT#6360

pretty cool stuff!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Wow! Follow that link! Reflective 16 bit color, the SD slot, next OS (4?), Probably 32mhz, rechargable battery... what else? I do wish my VDlx would display basic fonts and sub/superscripts. I don't think I'd be watching video on it. Does it have audio? How much RAM? What is the cost?

Then again - download the morning newcast and watch it on the train?
    Such a reflective display seems to work very good.
    But are the colors bright enough when the lighting is not so good?
    Another idea: What about a adjustable background light? By working at home or in office with an AC adaptor the light could be set to maximum, and for use at night, for example astronomy, you could make the screen a bit darker. That would increase the battery's life time, too.

About the 320x320 screen: I thought about a screen, as big as current screens, but with a higher resolution. Then the PalmOS could use double-sized fonts, which are better to read at higher resolutions (some IIIc users complained about its low resolution and bad readability).
    And special versions of TomeRaider for example could use a "normal" font size to show bigger documents (nothing for those who have a problem with their eyes ).

But have you read something about that new Sony screen already? I've heard that new "OELD" screen needs less power, is faster, is smaller, has a longer life time and costs not so much as current LCDs. Looks like there'll be a revolution in handheld technology in some years
    some more cool photos....

http://www.tpug.org/news/M505/M505.html
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Alright. Palm has my attention. But I want to hear it whistle before I date it.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123