Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Actually, it ended up costing $400, which is grossly over-priced. Needless to say the Clie was a total flop.
    I could've told you that when the (real) price was first announced. I think Sony thought they had their own equivalent of the Palm Vx, and tried to price it accordingly. The market corrected them in short order. The days of paying that kind of money for a monochrome PDA are over, unless it has a killer app like the Blackberry 957 does.

And I suspect that if Palm does indeed price this device in the $599 and above category, it will drop like a lead anchor on Yankowski's foot! There is no way in hell consumers will ever pay $600 for a Palm...with or without color.
    My guess is that Palm will shoot for $549. I don't know if the race results are in for the Prism, but it seems to be doing well. So Palm will probably think that adding $100 is reasonable. Remember, Palm initially charged $499 for the Palm V, without color, and it flew off the shelves.

$599 is definitely overpriced, but while it pains me to say it, this product has such a strong attraction for me that I'd probably surrender to it -- even while hating myself for being gouged. I'm trying not to think about it, but in the immortal words of Wilde, "I can resist everything except temptation." It's like a Rolex. A $50 digital watch has more functionality, but a Rolex is jewlery.

But what really bothers me is that several posters at PDABuzz have indicated that Palm intends to replace the Palm III series with the M100/M105 line. If they do that...they are finished!
    The M100 turned out to be a bestseller. I'll say this for Palm: whatever mistakes I think they're making in product design, they know how to sell. Like Microsoft, people are always predicting the end of the Palm regime, only to be consistently rebuffed by the company's growth. The Palm M100 series and the Palm V series are Palm's best selling product lines.
    Things are only over priced if ppl don't buy them. I hear ppl thought the V was over priced, but it became a best seller.

I love the look of Vx. Will I buy a $600 color version? Probably not, just like I didn't buy the over priced (for me) V when it came out.:-)

Then again, I never thought I would pay $450 for the prisim when I first heard about. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

Then again, I never thought I would pay $450 for the prisim when I first heard about. :-)
    I also think that 450 is a little over priced for the Prism. The only reason that I got one in the first place was because of the 150 rebate I got on it. Maybe now that I use it so much I would pay 400 for it, but I think that it is a little overpriced.

BEN
  4.    #24  
    Here's the best interpretation of ZDNet's $635 French price, and how it translates for Americans, I've seen posted yet (from Palmstation's boards):

I think the author of the article was referring to the current exchange rate USD/FRF (1/7). So $635 = 4500 FRF which is about right considering the current prices of palm units in france (i'm french btw). Now in France we are used to pay 1$ = 8-9FRF (final retail price) instead of 7FRF (exchange rate), so that would put the m505 in the $500-$550 price range in the US. I personally would tend more towards $500
    I'm betting it will be priced at least $549. Which is still over-priced. No matter how you slice it, its just a Palm Vx with a color screen.

Palm is showing its hubris!
  6.    #26  
    I agree with the $549 mark. Palm always uses the first few months in the product cycle for extortion. After all the people who simply can't bear the thought of not having one of these babies have snapped them up, Palm will lower the price. Hopefully, we'll also see the Prism go for $399 in the six months.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    I'm betting it will be priced at least $549. Which is still over-priced. No matter how you slice it, its just a Palm Vx with a color screen.

Palm is showing its hubris!
    Palm Hubris? Nah.

:-)

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    The entry of the Prism made Palm drop prices on the IIIc immediately after. I think that Palm was so quick on doing this is because the IIIc was more of a raw, experimental concept (8 bit color, huge form factor, high price) that was actually mass produced, not to mention being a test run for marketing purposes to see how receptive the public was for a color Palm, and at what price. (This is not from any article or Palm statement, just my own deduction...)

However, perhaps for those of use aiming to stay with Handspring and looking longingly at the Prism, and knowing that m505 (or whatever) will be about $100-150 too expensive, the arrival of a slimmed down color Palm will make Handspring revise their prices downwards.
    Originally posted by Goyena
    However, perhaps for those of use aiming to stay with Handspring and looking longingly at the Prism, and knowing that m505 (or whatever) will be about $100-150 too expensive, the arrival of a slimmed down color Palm will make Handspring revise their prices downwards.
    It's just too bad they can't revise the Prism's form factor inward by a mm or 2. Don't get me wrong - I love my Prism, and the fact that it's not that much thicker than my old Palm III is fine...but considering the way the market is going, I'm sure HS could have found a way to shave the extra thickness if they tried.

One thing about the Palm V/505: I've only ever held a V in my hand in a store, and since those are usually hollow dummy models, I never really thought about how light it was. Then I was out to dinner the other night with a friend, and he pulled out his Palm V. Out of curiosity, I asked if I could hold it. Granted, it was sturdy, and the metal case is NICE, but the thing is so thin and light, I felt like I was going to put the stylus straight through it. Thin is nice, but I need to feel like I'm holding something...
    Look guys,

I have a Visor Prism an 8 Meg Module, Back Up Module, SoundsGood Audio Player and the EyeModule(got it cheap plus rebate). I am very happy with the Prism. Though expensive, the Prism was worth it and had a clear advantage over the Palm III. So what's the real big advantage of getting this supposed new Palm V.

Better sound capabilities?
    nope.

Real memory at the start.(I would prefer 24MB)
    doubt it.

Maybe those SD cards is the advantage.
    expensive and even easier to lose.

Palm 4.0? (How big of a leap was the OS when I went from my VDX (Palm OS 3.1) to my Prism (Palm 3.5) Big woop, basically functions the same)
    maybe

In the end, all you're truly gonna get is a lighter wallet.

If Palm wants to make it worth my while to buy this device, they should include better sound capabilities (they need it soooooooooo bad!!!), atleast 16MB of RAM, Flash Rom, 16 bit color ('cause I ain't going back to 8 bit), and an expansion slot. All this should be priced $450 - $470.

It's as simple as that for me.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Is that a clip-on cover I see? Like the m100 (notice the new naming convention, too).
    --
    Trinition (trin@one.net)
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Someone asked before why the Prism is so thick if this device (the m505) can be so thin. It's the battery. Both the Prism and the Palm IIIc use lithium ion batteries; the m505 is the first handheld I've seen to use a lithium polymer battery, which is more efficient, and therefore can be smaller. I wish Handspring had used an LP battery in the Prism--I'm sure that could have brought it down to the same thickness as other Visors. Maybe the successor to the Prism can use an LP battery, and Handspring can get it down to the size of the Clie.

Also, on wireless options--this device may have a USB connector (based on what Palm demoed at PalmSource). Hard to say at this point whether modems for it will use the expansion slot or the USB port.
    Personally, I think Handspring should come out with a new model that is thinner, and has some more curves. I mean the current form factor is ok, but it definitely could be thinner and look cooler. It wouldn't even have to be color so they could keep the cost down...sort of a new Palm Vx after Palm introduces this new model. I mean if Apple can make a PowerBook G4 http://www.apple.com/powerbook that's only 1" thick closed, Handspring should be able to make a PDA that is thinner than .7 inches. I think that this is what the Platinum should have been all along, but i like it in it's current state as well (considering buying one as soon as I have the $).

Spaceman Spiff
    I am still undecided on the color vs. monochrome issue. I think color tagging appointments, overdue, to-dos differently would be good. But to really take advantage of color, I think you need to go further with the OS. Word or HTML format memos to highlight words or phrases for instance. Color support spreadsheets would be nice, but often the color needs to be part of a formula or function. I think this would add a lot of complexity that isn't really needed.

On the other hand, Palm or HS should come out with a high-speed, better screen, thinner, rechargable unit. Like a Palm Vx (god that thing is slick) with 12-16megs RAM, a 33mhz processor, an expansion port, USB, and rechargable batteries. (Does the Vx already have NiCD/Mh?) Give me speed, good design, better screen and I'll upgrade from my HS VDx. Also throw in some better applications.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    ...they should include better sound capabilities (they need it soooooooooo bad!!!),...
    ABSOLUTELY! Form factor doesn't matter to me if they don't have some serious upgrade in sound. My loyalty lies with sound, then Handspring. If Palm, Handspring, TRG, Sony, etc. all have the same sound quality I'm buying Handspring. As soon as someone comes out with a Palm OS device with 16-bit sound they just got my business. Regardless of color, form factor, expansion slots, speed (although I'm assuming you need a faster processor to work with sound), or any of the other myriad of options. I really hope Handspring leads the pack in this regard, but we'll see.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I think one of the biggest issues will be whether it has a reflective color display (like the iPAQ) or if keeps the same color display which makes most color PDAs useless outside. Assuming that Compaq can produce the iPAQ in quantity AND no one is producing a reflective color PDA (Sony is rumored to be developing one), all it takes is a good advertising campaign of showing the iPAQ in sunlight versus a Palm color PDA (or anybody elses) to make the iPAQ the dominant PDA.
    Most likely, the m505 will have a reflective screen like the color Clie in Japan. While this route will definitely provide longer battery life, if the screen on the color Clie is any indication, the contrast and lighting will be disappointing at best. As a matter of fact, after the initial blush wore off, Sony found that it could barely give away their remaining color Clies because so many customers were upset with the display quality of the units (presently, Sony is attempting to develop new technology that would improve upon these shortcomings). Some have hinted that Palm may be using an organic LED screen, but I highly doubt that.

-Adam

PS FYI - the iPAQ uses a li-polymer battery (this is in reference to a previous post by "Q").
    Hm, new Palm M505 - looks cool.

New features?
    What new features?

Dragonball Processor - Prism and Platinum have already
    8 MB RAM - boring, boring, boring
    16 Bit screen - have a look on Visor Prism
    PalmOS 4 - Looks like we will still have to wait some time

I think the Palm Platform has so many possibilities, but it seems that Palm doesn't want to develop this Platform.

Handspring - please develop a new Visor with color screen, PalmOS 4, more than 8 Megs of RAM and maybe some other cool new features! We need a new innovative product again.
    Originally posted by weberflo
    New features?
    What new features?
    Don't even get me started!

That's one of my biggest pet peeves about this platform. Nothing ever changes.....where is the innovation? It utterly sickens me when Palm tries to portray itself as the alpha/omega of PDAs. As if, what they see as a PDA, will never change. Even these new upcoming devices seem boring already. Really, what's new here: A color screen? That's been done before, and better, on other devices; SD slot? That's an improvement, but hardly revolutionary. So what do I have to be excited about, it's just another incremental upgrade?

This category is still growing rapidly, and the definition of "PDA" is changing with every new device. Look at the sudden rapid success of Blackberries...I'm starting to see these little pager-like devices pop up everywhere. Yet Palm continues to see its proprietary Palm.net service as the next killer app. They're wrong.

I don't know why Palm doesn't simply take a tiered approach to hardware design and create a high-end PDA with multimedia functionality built-in, while maintaining low-end devices that act as thin clients. Its the best of both worlds.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Don't even get me started!

That's one of my biggest pet peeves about this platform. Nothing ever changes.....where is the innovation? It utterly sickens me when Palm tries to portray itself as the alpha/omega of PDAs. As if, what they see as a PDA, will never change. Even these new upcoming devices seem boring already. Really, what's new here: A color screen? That's been done before, and better, on other devices; SD slot? That's an improvement, but hardly revolutionary. So what do I have to be excited about, it's just another incremental upgrade?

This category is still growing rapidly, and the definition of "PDA" is changing with every new device. Look at the sudden rapid success of Blackberries...I'm starting to see these little pager-like devices pop up everywhere. Yet Palm continues to see its proprietary Palm.net service as the next killer app. They're wrong.

I don't know why Palm doesn't simply take a tiered approach to hardware design and create a high-end PDA with multimedia functionality built-in, while maintaining low-end devices that act as thin clients. Its the best of both worlds.
    Palm sure is a greedy little company. They know people are tired of the same four year OS. They also know that people are willing to snatch up anything new (Hence, OS4). When OS5 comes out, people will want to buy new Palms because of all the great and innovative enhancements! In the year 2002, people will be saying, "You mean I can play mp3s on this thing? That's amazing!" (sic)

Palm will gain double from all those bleeding edgers.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast