Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/04/gr...k-greener.html

I mentioned how much treocentral people helped me with this awesome device. I never thought I'd write a positive review about a Windows Mobile device. I'm glad I am using such a great one, the ppc-6700.

Thnaks again all my treocentral friends for helping me out with this, you guys have been very helpful not in just terms of the review of the 6700 but my once negative thought of Windows Mobile.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I have to agree with you, I have been hesitant to go to the dark side due to the early release issues of some of the phones, but I am glad I have gone. I was having nothing but crashed on the CDMA version of the treo 650. I am very glad I am using the 6700. 2 days and not one crash. WIFI is AWESOME!!!!

Bob
  3.    #3  
    It's an awesome device. Mine hasn't crashed once in the week I've had it. My Treo 650 crashes a few times a week,lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    WM5 was a real improvement! It was enough to get me to almost dump the Palm OS(until I picked up my 650 again ). I never really liked WM2003. WM5 is a good replacement if Palm can't seem to get 6.0 out in the next year or so.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/13/2006 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Misspelling.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    yeah, even I'm warming up to WM5. [gasp] I'm so going to hell for this.

this of course doesn't bode well for Palm. IMHO the 700 is a "me too" player with a nice (very nice) form factor. I hope for great things from it . . . I hope they don't disappoint. (still can't get used to this 8125 keyboard)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I find WM5 to be extremely stable. I have had my Wizard for about two months and I have only had it lock up on me once. Much better than Palm OS IMO. Battery life is something more desirable. I talk, text, and browse the web a lot and I find that I need to chrage thing every night. While that is do-able, I am currently looking for an extended battery for it. HTC did an excellent job making this. Since my experience has been so pleasent with this device, I would gladly buy another product from this company again. I have a hard time using a phone without a qwerty keyboard after owning this phone.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    WM5 was a real improvement! It was enough to get me to almost dump the Palm OS(until I picked up my 650 again ). I never really liked WM2003. WM5 is a good replacement if Palm can't seem to get 6.0 out in the next year or so.
    Whats so different between between WM5 and the previous versions that you like?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Let me look at an old phone I have and I'll let you know. Something about WM2003 made me stick with Palm OS until WM5.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Whats so different between between WM5 and the previous versions that you like?
    I never used a previous version, but have heard from others:

1) Pocket Word and Excel (though still crap) don't muck up the formatting of the original document as much as they used to.
    2) Built-in capability to install to card.
    3) Soft keys are terrific. They make everything much more accessible.
    4) PIE appears to be improved but is still crap compared to NetFront IMO.
    5) PUSH email (haven't tried it yet - still waiting to update my ROM).
    6) Persistent storage (and you need on WM devices with the way the battery can drain sometimes)

Among those, I don't know how people got along without soft keys and the option to install to card.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Installing on card. I still currently use WM03. It has always allowed to install to a card. In fact, unless it is a Today Screen plug-in, system app or utility, or something I want to use if I am using my WIFI card, everything goes to my card when installed.

Memory. Many WM03 devices have persistent storage or probably more true to the point at least a section of persistent storage. The way WM05 manages memory makes it easier for hardware manufactures to implement persistent memory. I have explained the main differences in memory management in this thread here:

PIE is actually the best OEM browser in the world of handhelds, IMHO. If comparing browsers we should compare PIE to Blazer, rather than a 3rd party option. But BTW, I agree Netfront is a good option, but there are others who do disagree.

Pocket Word and Pocket Excel actually did a decent job in WM03, especially considering Palm didn't offer anything out of the box for this. I personally use ClearVue most of the time. And Yes Pocket Word and Excel have been improved for maintaining file format in WM05.

The big improvements WM05 are with security with Exchange (which is all behind the scenes and not utilizes by the average Joe user without a corp exchange server running SP2), Memory Management, optimized OS code, and soft keys.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/13/2006 at 05:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Installing on card. I still currently use WM03. It has always allowed to install to a card. In fact, unless it is a Today Screen plug-in, system app or utility, or something I want to use if I am using my WIFI card, everything goes to my card when installed.
    Exactly. It's always been allowed since PPC2000. AS asks if you want to install to the default location. Just select a card instead. Maybe it handles it differently now...
    Memory. Many WM03 devices have persistent storage or probably more true to the point at least a section of persistent storage. The way WM05 manages memory makes it easier for hardware manufactures to implement persistent memory. I have explained the main differences in memory management in this thread here:
    Again true. As well as the 32MB ROM for the OS, my Toshiba e755 has 32MB of NAND ROM for "persistent storage", and 64MB RAM storage. iPaqs also had ROM storage. Although now everything is persistent. This is an improvement, but not really new.
    PIE is actually the best OEM browser in the world of handhelds, IMHO. If comparing browsers we should compare PIE to Blazer, rather than a 3rd party option. But BTW, I agree Netfront is a good option, but there are others who do disagree.
    I agree here too, certainly comparing Blazer to PIE, PIE wins, no matter which version of PPC/WM.
    Pocket Word and Pocket Excel actually did a decent job in WM03, especially considering Palm didn't offer anything out of the box for this. I personally use ClearVue most of the time. And Yes Pocket Word and Excel have been improved for maintaining file format in WM05.
    Always somewhat annoying that the pocket versions were stripped down. This is normal though. All the pocket apps are watered down though. I use an Excel spreadsheet daily for work, but it's all data, no graphs, no complex formulae. However there is a great freeware app called SpreadCE thats been around pre PPC (to the older CE devices) thats really good. I also have, but no longer use Textmaker for Word docs.
    The big improvements WM05 are with security with Exchange (which is all behind the scenes and not utilizes by the average Joe user without a corp exchange server running SP2), Memory Management, optimized OS code, and soft keys.
    I'll have to look into these when I upgrade.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The new card install feature is similar to cabinstall, in that, even from cabs, you get given the option to install to a storage card, vs wm2003se, where cabs (without cabinstall) would automatically install to main memory.

Surur
  13.    #13  
    The 6700 is a very slick machine, with a few shortcomings, battery life being the biggest for me. I still haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not. I love my Treo, but the 6700 is so tempting. I can't afford to keep both, or I definitely would. Maybe when my site starts making money for me, like some on here think this is already happeneing I can do things like that, and also hook some of my buddies on treocentral up too.

It's going to be very hard trying to decide between them. ,u 650 is the longest handheld I've ever owned, since last Feb 2005. I go through Smartphones /pda's so fast. The Treo 650 and soon to be 700p work so well for me. The 6700 lets me do so much more, and has multitasking.

Ugggghhh, I wish I didn't have to decide,lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    The 6700 is a very slick machine, with a few shortcomings, battery life being the biggest for me. I still haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not. I love my Treo, but the 6700 is so tempting. I can't afford to keep both, or I definitely would. Maybe when my site starts making money for me, like some on here think this is already happeneing I can do things like that, and also hook some of my buddies on treocentral up too.

It's going to be very hard trying to decide between them. ,u 650 is the longest handheld I've ever owned, since last Feb 2005. I go through Smartphones /pda's so fast. The Treo 650 and soon to be 700p work so well for me. The 6700 lets me do so much more, and has multitasking.

Ugggghhh, I wish I didn't have to decide,lol.
    the more i use the 6700, the easier the decision is to keep it.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    This post might be inappropriate, if so, I will remove it or a mod can. A side note is, that I am not posting this because I think Jimmie is a site plugging tool, I think the review should have been posted about in the previous thread he had devoted to the device, but that is really a moot point.

That review is no less than terrible. I believe you now when you say you dont make anything off of that site. Nevermind the misspelling, and poor use of the English language. You had 2 weeks with that device and you really didnt write anything about it.

You list the specs, but you dont say anything about them. Was the screen resolution adequate for you and your daily uses? How where the keys to type on? You mention it switches from portrait to landscape "very much like a sidekick" was this good? Was the speed it switched at acceptable or cumbersome? Did it switch the orientation well and did it wake up the device when you opened or closed the keyboard?

"Battery life on this device is acceptable, but I am a heavy user", what is "heavy"? I use 2000-4000 minutes a month, 1000-3000 text a month and surf the internet aswell as use agile messenger for IMing. Is this a heavy user? What exactly was it you were doing on the device to make you say the battery is just "acceptable". Is it wifi that you used a lot to kill the battery or do you use a lot of voice?

You mention that the phone had wifi. You didnt say if it connected well or anything about it really. You didn't mention if wifi drained the battery insanely fast or if the connection manager was sufficient. While we are the subject of internet connections, you talked about EVDO. How was the battery drain on this? You didn't mention what I think is one of EVDO's most important features, RINGTHROUGH. 1xRTT was terrible for surfing if you were expecting a call. Straight to voicemail, but with EVDO it pauses your data connection for the call.

I don't want you to take this post as a dig. I personally find it hard to believe that Sprint gave you the phone to write a review on. What exactly was their aim with that? The review doesn't say much about anything. It tells more about WM5 and POS in my opinion than about the 6700. I am not going to pick apart your "review" any further. I personally would like to see a POS fanboy write a solid indepth review about the PPC-6700. Honestly Jimmie if they gave you that device to try and write a review (not the standard 14-days like all customers get) then you let them down. I am betting they wanted a review that was indepth and a worthwhile read. That's it. Sorry to be harsh, but if you want to make money off of that site, write something worthwhile.

Lonzo
  16.    #16  
    Sorry you weren't happy with my review. Sprint was happy, snd by the emails I'br gotten from nimerous Palm Os users, and Windows Mobile suers told me they really enjoyed my review. I can;t please everyone. I have a friends at Sprint who gave mt eh 6700 for 2 weeks to review, and if I wanted to keep it he was going to be giving me the device next to nothing. I am proud of my review. I sent my review to Sprint before I published it to ask if they would like to see something more, or something I missed. They said they were very happy with the review. So, I am sorry you didn't enjoy it but Sprint did, and thats what matters to me, and many WIndows Mobile users did.

But I will take your criticims into account, sorry you weren't happy. Mhy targest audience was though. Anad I have received many emails from WIndows Mobile users who liked it, and Sprint liked it as well. I am looking forward to my next device I get to review from Sprint.

You're entitled to your opinion.
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 04/15/2006 at 12:00 AM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I would tend to agree that there was not much substance to the review. It needed some more specifics, but practice makes perfect. Maybe the next one will have more substance.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Sorry you weren't happy with my review. Sprint was happy, snd by the emails I'br gotten from nimerous Palm Os users, and Windows Mobile suers told me they really enjoyed my review. I can;t please everyone. I have a friends at Sprint who gave mt eh 6700 for 2 weeks to review, and if I wanted to keep it he was going to be giving me the device next to nothing. I am proud of my review. I sent my review to Sprint before I published it to ask if they would like to see something more, or something I missed. They said they were very happy with the review. So, I am sorry you didn't enjoy it but Sprint did, and thats what matters to me, and many WIndows Mobile users did.

But I will take your criticims into account, sorry you weren't happy. Mhy targest audience was though. Anad I have received many emails from WIndows Mobile users who liked it, and Sprint liked it as well. I am looking forward to my next device I get to review from Sprint.

You're entitled to your opinion.
    Can you state one more time for me who was pleased with the "review" and who exactly emailed you concerning it?

Seriously, there is no need to apologize to me. I am a fast reader so I wasn't out too much time. I must say I am a little shocked that you first submitted that to Sprint and they said it was good. I would have atleast ran it through MS Word and got rid of the typos and fragmented sentence. Legitemately it wasn't that the "review" was bad, just that it was more like an overview of what a real review would be. Look at a few of the reviews on Treocentral. Some of them are quite good. They tell you specifics about an item. The pros, the cons, and what they liked most and disliked most about a specific item. Something I ALWAYS look for in a consumer review is "was it money well spent", "would you recommend it to a friend", "would I buy and use it myself".

I am not here trying to say I am a review guru, just that it is more a testers initial thoughts and overview.

Lonzo

PS I am including my initial thoughts of the PPC-6700. The review/overview I wrote about the PPC-6700 was not wrote as a proffesional piece. I wrote it simply as a comparason piece by an end user who had converted over from a Treo 650. If I were to write a review for the device now, it would be a proffesional look at the device, that would be very indepth and detail what I think is the good and the bad. I would probably mention a couple things that I think could make the unit even better. I personally like the device VERY much and think it is the best PDA phone I have owned. I wish you luck in your future "reviews". If you want to discuss this with me any further post here or shoot me a PM.
    Remind me not to post any reviews on here. Tough, unforgiving critics.

Jimmie, are you a tech pro or hobbyist? If you're a tech pro, I agree that the review should have had more detail. But if you're a tech hobbyist, I can understand the consumer-like review. I might have forgotten to include some of those details mentioned in the above post too.

However, much of what he said, you probably should have included. But the way some people say things and then try to put it across as "constructive" criticism.... again.

20.    #20  
    I guess you could say I wrote it in a more consumer like way, I see all your points and will use them for future reviews. I enjoyed reading Is3mach's review, and how in depth it was. It was my first review, and first review of Windows Mobile. In the future I'll remember what you guys told me, thanks for the tips.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast