Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I looked at the HTC 8125 Wizard. Very nice! I aways thought I would buy a Tre 650. Now I can't make up my mind. Please tell me what you think! Help me make up my mind! I am hearing all the new Tros will have WM no more P OS. What would you do??
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I have owned both (currently own the 8125). Why the 8125? Many reasons:

1. Larger screen
    a. nicer browsing experience
    b. better spreadsheet use
    c. better movie viewing experience

2. Larger keyboard
    a. easier on fingers for extended notes or e-mail typing
    b. less mis-typing

3. Better call quality

4. More (or at least better) apps included out of the box
    a. file explorer
    b. Mobile IE
    c. Notes
    d. Mobile Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
    e. Modem Link
    f. Push e-mail (with new update)

5. More hack-friendly (hack yourself instead of buying multiple $5 hack programs i.e.
    Volume care, Butler, ScreenOff, etc.)

6. Wi-fi

7. Stronger OS
    a. P OS is dying while WM is being developed more & more every day
    b. WM has proven to be more stable than P OS.............I have yet to have a spontaneous reset with my 8125
    c. WM multi-tasking is great

8. More memory (for some reason Palm enjoys adding only the absolute minimum memory possible)

9. Easy to unlock , no $$$ to get it done easily (if you need to)

10. No antennae
    Last edited by jlczl; 04/09/2006 at 12:29 PM.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    everything i was going to say is in the post above this one. go with the 8125. you will be amazed with Windows Mobile 5 compared to Palm OS
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Agreed with above 2 posts. 8125 is an amazing device. Treo 650 is pretty outdated now. May want to wait to see the next line of treos - you never know, they could surprise us all and have some good specs. Best thing to do is see if you can try them both for a short period of time. With a device that is going to be very heavily used (I use my 8125 as a laptop replacement during the week when I don't bring my laptop home), you want to be sure it's what you want. There are people here at TC that went back to the 650 after trying the 8125 so they have their reasons.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I would definately go with the 8125 because you can do more with WM5.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    so my opinion differs just a little bit. I have been using the 8125 in place of my treo for about a week now. wm5 is definitely a nice os but the lack of a constantly exposed keyboard is a huge drawback and this device is extremely limited as a phone because of it. wifi is a big plus and I have found I use it often. battery life is not as good as the treo and push email is nearly impossible (vgsmail is horrid and exchange isn't much better) threaded sms isn't there and when added is not very stable. one handed use is extremely (although it is aided by smartskey) lacking. web browser is good in some ways but simply doesn't work with some forms that the 650 did. use of the smaller (in pixels) screen is not as efficient. opening apps is slow. on the other hand sirius is awesome, multitasking is a godsend, pocket office apps are only marginally better than 650 (but difficult to navigate without stylus).

truthfully, the 8125 is a great machine but 650 is still better for everyday use. the 8125 seriously missed the boat with the keyboard design and this is really the killer. I think the treo 700w with additional ram might keep me with wm5 but otherwise this thing is going back to cingular
    Sprint Kyocera 6035> Verizonized Sprint 6035> Treo 300> Sprint Treo 600> Sprint Treo 650> Cingular 8125> Sprint Treo 650> Sprint Treo 700wx

“It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.” -George W. Bush

BE AMERICAN, USE CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Familyman
    I looked at the HTC 8125 Wizard. Very nice! I aways thought I would buy a Tre 650. Now I can't make up my mind. Please tell me what you think! Help me make up my mind! I am hearing all the new Tros will have WM no more P OS. What would you do??
    Ed. Colligan (CEO of Palm) has stated that they will continue to produce palm OS treos. Sprint is expected to release the treo 700p next month. Palm OS is not dead yet, though Palm DOES need to come out with an updated OS to remain competative with WM5.

The 8125 is one of the most attractive WM5 handhelds out there with a beautiful design. I'm a Sprint user, so I've been looking at the 6700 (HTC Apache) which is very similar. I actually like the design of the 8125 better.

I do have some reservations about WM5 though. There are well-documented issues with the newest version of ActiveSync. If you get any WM5 device, be prepared to go through extensive AS troubleshooting. Some users have reported it working fine for several weeks/months, then acting up. If your company runs an Exchange server, this is a non-issue as WM5 works very well when sync'd with Exchange.

My other reservation is that WM5 devices lock you into using Outlook for your PIM. If you're already an Outlook user, this is a non-issue. I refuse to use Outlook because of the security liability it presents, Outlook has been the portal through which many viruses gain access to their host (victim) systems. Newer Palms will sync with Outlook as well, if that's your preference.

Ultimately, only you can decide which handheld is best suited to meet your own needs. As to the Windows Treo, I'd stay away from it for now. The 700w only has 32mb of ram for the system to run on. This is comparable to devices running WM2002 or 2003 from a few years ago. Windows Mobile 5 really needs at least 64mb of ram to run on. Both the HTC Wizard and HTC Apache are technically superior to the 700w as they include twice the system ram, have more storage space (flash/nand memory), and larger keyboards with full size screens (320x240). 700w only has a 240x240 screen which causes problems when trying to run standard Windows Mobile software that hasn't been specifically written to run on the smaller format screen. I don't know about the Wizard, but the Apache has built-in WiFi as well. With the 700w, you must add an external WiFi card in place of your storage card.

The following questions may help you to decide:

Does your company have an Exchange server?
    Do you use Outlook for your PIM?
    Have you already purchased software for WM or Palm OS?
    How do you plan to use your device?
    (Palm Treo is a better form factor for one-handed use. Wizard/Apache afford a larger, more comfortable keyboard if you can/will use both hands)
    How technically-adept are you?
    (Palm OS is easier for a first-time PDA user, If you're a power-user on your PC and very comfortable with windows registry, etc, you may prefer WM5. Palm works very simply, but doesn't offer as many options to configure and tweak your system. Windows Mobile isn't as simple, but allows you to multi-task and gives many options to tweak your PDA to your preferences through registry hacks)

I would recommend checking out these forums for more info on the 8125 and windows mobile 5 in general as well:

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/...splay.php?f=176
    http://ppc6700users.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_top/bestsites.asp

On TreoCentral, these threads will be helpful. Pay special attention to the posts by HobbesIsReal as he's been using a 6600 (predecessor to the Apache) for the last year and a half and has considerable experience with Windows Mobile. His posts are very neutral and fair to both sides as he's a former Treo user.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...ad.php?t=111317
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...ad.php?t=101740
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/s...ad.php?t=110351

Hope this helps you with your decision.
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    Well written post midnight. With many offices looking at "diversification of OS's within their organizations as security against 1 virus wiping everything out, keeping importnat business contacts on something else can be a boon. My biggest beefs tho are that WM5 is just too much like windows in that , if you march to their tune and are happy with what they offer, you are mostly OK; if you want to use something else which is more functional, powerful, efficient or whatever, you are burdened with their app installed along side yours stealing memory space and resources. The scariest thing tho is that if ya lose ya device and don't have exchange server, you can't remotely wipe it.
    I would have to agree with the earlier posters - the 8125 is a superior device to the 650. I've had several smartphones (Treo 300, Samsung i500, Treo 600 & 650, Audiovox 5600, Cingular 2125) and the 8125 is by far the best for several reasons:

1. MUCH better call quality than the 650, both on my end and on the other end of the conversation. 8 week now, and not a single "What did you say" on either end of the conversation.

2. Not a single spontaneous reset; nor any voluntary ones other than software updates.

3. Keyboard - far better than the 650, other than not being able to extend the backlighting timer.

4. WiFi - yes, it eats batteries like candy, BUT, try to get WiFi on your 650 (OK, not fair, because you CAN'T), but even the 700w requires a SD card for WiFi, and I don't want another thing sticking out of the top of my phone.

5. No "out of memory" messages.

6. Better browsing experience - PIE, overall, is just better than Blazer for most web sites.

7. Email and PIM - if you have an Exchange Server 2003 at work, with Service Pack 2, wireless Activesync is terrific - all of your email, contacts, calendar and tasks are synced over the air on a schedule you set (mine's every 10 minutes during the work day - 7:00am to 10:00pm, then every one other times); for us Cingular users it will be fully push email "sometime this summer" when they deliver the WM5 OS update.

8. MS Voice Commander - yes, a costly upgrade ($39), BUT it voice dials every entry in my contacts list, dials spoken telephone numbers, opens programs, shows me calendar and contact information, etc. without voice training.

Yes, the one-handed experience is not as good as the Treo, where the keyboard is on the face of the unit, but if you add the free utility Smartskey, it is pretty close. If the Treo had better voice quality, I'd say it is the better "cell phone" and the 8125 is the better "PDA," but it's just not. In fact, with all the integrated software, WiFi, and better landscape screen when the keyboard is open, the 8125 is truly a minicomputer in the same package as the Treo.

Lovedatreo, midknight, and JackNaylor all raise good points about the competing platforms. I only disagree directly in one respect - I don't think POS is really leading any more in ease of PIM use. If you are using Outlook at work or home (and they do raise some good security questions) then the Calendar, Contacts, Email, Notes, Tasks, etc. have afamiliar feel about them.

Good luck in your hunt...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I don't think I've heard of any virusses using flaws in outlook recently. The main route of virusses in recent times have been social engineering, to which any platform is vulnerable.

btw, can I have you comment on Anna Kornikova nude as I love you? And don't worry, I'm not a virus

Surur
    I made the switch to 8125 from the 650 and I am extremely glad I did. I use my keyboard only at very specific times, so having it tucked away when I am not using it is nice for me. I can, however, see how it would be a nuisance for someone who needs to use it perpetually throughout the day.
    I love the Wifi, as well as the multi-tasking.
    Another weird thing I really like is how non-descript it looks when closed. I always felt the Treo drew so much (unwanted!) attention anytime I used it. I can read my Rss feeds now on the subway and don't feel at all worried.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    I have a colleague who just got the 8125 and another that fot a 700w. We are all attorneys who search our calender to update any court appearances or appointments in a our client chron sheets. The problem with their upgraded windows devices is that they cannot to a search (ie: on the Treo 650, you hit the alt and find key and it searches for all of the items that contain that name). It is a feature that is indispensible for what we do, but Windows Mobile does not seem to have it. It is a major reason why I will not go with a windows device, no matter how much nicer they are making them. I know the Windows Mobile OS very well, but not well enough to state this feature does not exist at all, but all three of us could not find it on either of their windows mobile devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicegoogly
    I have a colleague who just got the 8125 and another that fot a 700w. We are all attorneys who search our calender to update any court appearances or appointments in a our client chron sheets. The problem with their upgraded windows devices is that they cannot to a search (ie: on the Treo 650, you hit the alt and find key and it searches for all of the items that contain that name). It is a feature that is indispensible for what we do, but Windows Mobile does not seem to have it. It is a major reason why I will not go with a windows device, no matter how much nicer they are making them. I know the Windows Mobile OS very well, but not well enough to state this feature does not exist at all, but all three of us could not find it on either of their windows mobile devices.
    Find is called Search Its one of the programs under the program folder, and you can add it to the start menu using the menu control panel, or map it to a button using the button control panel.

Surur
    OK, now I'm intrigued by the 8125. My wife and daughter have Cingular and it works well in our area, but I've stuck with Sprint until now hoping for EVDO for my PPC6600. EVDO is coming, but there won't be an upgrade for the 6600, so I have to think about switching phones. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare EDGE to EVDO? Eventually, I'll have to decide between the Sprint 6700 and the Cingular 8125...
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    OK, now I'm intrigued by the 8125. My wife and daughter have Cingular and it works well in our area, but I've stuck with Sprint until now hoping for EVDO for my PPC6600. EVDO is coming, but there won't be an upgrade for the 6600, so I have to think about switching phones. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare EDGE to EVDO? Eventually, I'll have to decide between the Sprint 6700 and the Cingular 8125...
    Long time no see wise one.

As much as I like my 8125, I don't think EDGE can begin to compare to EVDO. At its best, I can get 130-150kbs, generally 80-100kbs. A lot of the EVDO reports I've seen are in the 450kbs range. For email and light browsing, EDGE is more than acceptable (and a lot better than dial up). Whenever I can, I use a WiFi hotspot for heavy duty browsing (such as it is on a QVGA screen ). HSDPA looks to be a while away for Cingular, and the 8125 doesn't support that anyway.

However, given I have a family plan (free Cingular to Cingular calling) and rollover minutes to share, it makes a good solution for our four family lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Long time no see wise one....
    HA! I'm not sure how "wise" I am, but some of my ranting about the Treo 650 turned out to be pretty close to the mark. I am very satisfied with my PPC-6600, but because of the lack of EVDO, I must accept that its days are numbered. Am I correct in the assumption that the 8125 and the PPC-6700 are basically the same machine, one for Cingular/GSM/EDGE, and the other for Sprint/CDMA/EVDO?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    I am very satisfied with my PPC-6600, but because of the lack of EVDO, I must accept that its days are numbered.
    I am exactly in the same boat. I am still very happy with my 6600. I am one who historically has upgraded my phone every 8-12 months. I am now at 1 1/2 years and still personally impressed with it.....except for the infamous and illusive EVDO software upgrade to support the EVDO hardware inside.

I am trying to wait out to see what the next gen will be this summer, if any.

If something happened to my phone today, I would be moving to the 6700 myself, as weighing out the pros and cons with all other options, that one would suite my personal needs the best.

Am I correct in the assumption that the 8125 and the PPC-6700 are basically the same machine, one for Cingular/GSM/EDGE, and the other for Sprint/CDMA/EVDO?
    Basically, Yes....

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/cingular-8125.htm
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/11/2006 at 02:55 PM.
    ...Am I correct in the assumption that the 8125 and the PPC-6700 are basically the same machine, one for Cingular/GSM/EDGE, and the other for Sprint/CDMA/EVDO?
    Yes, they are basically the same; however, the 6700 has a faster processor, so you trade raw power for battery lief. I would imagine, like all hi speed connections, EV-DO performs better on the higher end (400mhz) processor than on the kind in the 8125 (200mhz). However, the 8125 uses a dual core processor, so although lower power drain, it offloads comm chores and is more efficient at times. I like the battery life myself.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I agree: The 8125's keyboard isn't nearly as easy to use as the Treo 650's. The 8125 has more bells and whistles -- it does more stuff, including wifi and Edge. But if you like whipping out your Treo 650, checking your email or surfing the net one handed, you'll be disappointed with the 8125. It's like going from a car with automatic transmission to a stick shift sports car. Sure, the sport's car is faster, but you've got to have one hand available to shift gears.

And the one really big problem is that the 8125's keyboard is hard to read. Even in a well lit room, I found myself struggling to locate the @ and / keys.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    so my opinion differs just a little bit. I have been using the 8125 in place of my treo for about a week now. wm5 is definitely a nice os but the lack of a constantly exposed keyboard is a huge drawback and this device is extremely limited as a phone because of it. wifi is a big plus and I have found I use it often. battery life is not as good as the treo and push email is nearly impossible (vgsmail is horrid and exchange isn't much better) threaded sms isn't there and when added is not very stable. one handed use is extremely (although it is aided by smartskey) lacking. web browser is good in some ways but simply doesn't work with some forms that the 650 did. use of the smaller (in pixels) screen is not as efficient. opening apps is slow. on the other hand sirius is awesome, multitasking is a godsend, pocket office apps are only marginally better than 650 (but difficult to navigate without stylus).

truthfully, the 8125 is a great machine but 650 is still better for everyday use. the 8125 seriously missed the boat with the keyboard design and this is really the killer. I think the treo 700w with additional ram might keep me with wm5 but otherwise this thing is going back to cingular
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    I agree: The 8125's keyboard isn't nearly as easy to use as the Treo 650's. The 8125 has more bells and whistles -- it does more stuff, including wifi and Edge. But if you like whipping out your Treo 650, checking your email or surfing the net one handed, you'll be disappointed with the 8125.
    The keyboard ease of use has a lot to do with each individual's hands. While it's true that the Treo's kb has a better backlight, it is just too small for many of us. Ease of use of kb goes to the 8125 hands down in my book.

BTW, I whip out my 8125 to check my PUSHED E-mail (without paying $ for a 3rd party program) and to surf the net (with the built-in browser) many, many times a day, and I don't use the stylus or touch the screen. All one-handed use baby!
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast