Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by edmc
    (hint: put a thumbwheel in your next phone Palm).
    im pretty sure they are legally not allowed. and i use my 8125 one handed, not 2, not 3, but 1. and i rarely use the stylus thanks to smartskey.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  2. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    #22  
    I love new gadgets and new techologies. So I was very excited to get my Cingular 8125 on Tuesday.

    It's going back to Cingular on Monday.

    First, what I liked about the 8125: wifi (after getting it to work), Bluetooth 1.2, a 1.3 megapixel camera, lots of Pocket PC applications, voice dialing, better sound quality playing MP3 files, and good web page rendering with Internet Explorer (better than with Blazer.)

    What I don't like about the 8125: Forget one-handed operation. You have to dig out a stylus for just about anything you want to do. If you want to take a picture, you have to rotate the camera 90 degrees. And same for the sliding keyboard: it's cute in theory, but not handy. Also the backlighting on the keyboard is very hard to read in dim light, and somewhat hard to read in regular light. And the 1.3 megapixel camera doesn't take good photographs at all in dim light: While it's a better camera than the Treo 650's in low lighting the Treo 650 takes superior pictures.

    Memory on the 8125 gets consumed quickly. Activesync automatically puts all your contacts on the 8125, along with whatever contact photos you have, and that can take up a lot of memory.

    Battery life on the 8125 doesn't come close to the 650.
    Last edited by badler; 04/22/2006 at 07:42 PM.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    I love new gadgets and new techologies. So I was very excited to get my Cingular 8125 on Tuesday.

    It's going back to Cingular on Monday.

    First, what I liked about the 8125: wifi (after getting it to work), Bluetooth 1.2, a 1.3 megapixel camera, lots of Pocket PC applications, voice dialing, better sound quality playing MP3 files, and good web page rendering with Internet Explorer (better than with Blazer.)

    What I don't like about the 8125: Forget one-handed operation. You have to dig out a stylus for just about anything you want to do. If you want to take a picture, you have to rotate the camera 90 degrees. And same for the sliding keyboard: it's cute in theory, but not handy. Also the backlighting on the keyboard is very hard to read in dim light, and somewhat hard to read in regular light. And the 1.3 megapixel camera doesn't take good photographs at all in dim light: While it's a better camera than the Treo 650's in low lighting the Treo 650 takes superior pictures.

    Memory on the 8125 gets consumed quickly. Activesync automatically puts all your contacts on the 8125, along with whatever contact photos you have, and that can take up a lot of memory.

    Battery life on the 8125 doesn't come close to the 650.
    i guess i got a different model of the 8125, cuz i keep all my applications on my MiniSD and all my pics/videos/mp3s...and i have no memory problem. and my battery lasts all day easily with heavy usage. and apparently u didnt even try, cuz with a few minor adjustments, one handed use is a breeze. i guess its not for everyone...
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  4. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    #24  
    While it's possible to install applications on the MiniSD card, that doesn't work if you like to swap memory cards -- there is, after, all only a limited number of MP3s or videos that you can put on even a 2 gigabyte card.

    I was quite surprised to find out how quickly the 8125 itself ran out of memory -- how much memory a handful of applications, plus my 2,000 contacts took up.

    On the plus side, dslreports.com/mspeed does show that Edge is significantly faster than the Treo's web connection.

    There are two programs for the Pocket PC that let you turn the navigation pad into a virtual mouse, but both are clunky and interfere with other programs and functions. Neither is as well designed as EZrocker, for example. Indeed, there doesn't seem to be any good way to turn the navigation pad into a useful tool for navigating the screen or in programs. (Hopefully that will come one day.)

    Surprisingly, although the 8125 has Bluetooth 1.2, it doesn't have stereo Bluetooth functionality.

    The 8125's clock speed is too slow to support Skype for the Pocket PC.

    Still, in the main, it was the usability factor that made me decide to return the 8125. Sure, there's greater speed while surfing the Net, even when you're not using wifi, but it just takes longer to do anything on the 8125 than the Treo 650.

    But as you said, different people prefer different gadgets. If you like the way the Treo --what's the right word?-- interfaces, the you're likely to be disappointed by the Cingular 8125.

    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    i guess i got a different model of the 8125, cuz i keep all my applications on my MiniSD and all my pics/videos/mp3s...and i have no memory problem. and my battery lasts all day easily with heavy usage. and apparently u didnt even try, cuz with a few minor adjustments, one handed use is a breeze. i guess its not for everyone...
  5. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    I was quite surprised to find out how quickly the 8125 itself ran out of memory -- how much memory a handful of applications, plus my 2,000 contacts took up.

    On the plus side, dslreports.com/mspeed does show that Edge is significantly faster than the Treo's web connection.

    There are two programs for the Pocket PC that let you turn the navigation pad into a virtual mouse, but both are clunky and interfere with other programs and functions. Neither is as well designed as EZrocker, for example. Indeed, there doesn't seem to be any good way to turn the navigation pad into a useful tool for navigating the screen or in programs. (Hopefully that will come one day.)

    Surprisingly, although the 8125 has Bluetooth 1.2, it doesn't have stereo Bluetooth functionality.

    The 8125's clock speed is too slow to support Skype for the Pocket PC.

    Still, in the main, it was the usability factor that made me decide to return the 8125. Sure, there's greater speed while surfing the Net, even when you're not using wifi, but it just takes longer to do anything on the 8125 than the Treo 650.

    But as you said, different people prefer different gadgets. If you like the way the Treo --what's the right word?-- interfaces, the you're likely to be disappointed by the Cingular 8125.
    Memory problems? I had not heard of that being an issue. I have 28 MB of Storage Memory and 22 MB od Program Memory available even though I have about 1,000 contacts and the following programs installed:

    MarsWare Weather Panel
    Total Commander
    AM Tasks + Today Plug-in
    PHM Registry Editor
    nfpencil2
    Macromedia Flash Player
    cLaunch
    Calendar + Today Plug-in
    Batti
    RAZR dialpad skin
    VoiceCommander
    Isilo
    Repligo
    TCPMP
    SPB Finance
    MemMaid

    I used to have a Today Plug-in on my Today screen to keep a watchful eye on my memory levels (I was used to worrying about this on my Treos) but after a few weeks I realized it wasn't a problem and so it didn't need monitoring, so I removed it. Now I NEVER worry about being low on memory, it just isn't an issue anymore.

    As far as the Skype issue, eventhough I don't use it personally, there is many reports on HowardForums and xda-developers that it DOES work on the 8125. All you need is the low processor speed version of Skype and to make it even smoother you can OC the 8125. (I have mine OC'd to 264 24/7)

    After using the Treo 600 and 650 for some time I was very efficient and quick on it so when I went to the 8125 it did take me a couple of weeks to be just as fast on it as on the Treos. However, that was totally an issue of me getting used to it, not of one being faster and easier to use than the other.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

    Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  6. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    Battery life on the 8125 doesn't come close to the 650.
    Another point I forgot:

    Battery life is not an issue at all. I charge my 8125 exactly the same as I did my 650: every night. Why? At the end of the day I had about 30% battery remaining on my 650 so I had to charge it every night (to avoid running out the following day). With my 8125 I have the same or sometimes 25% left at the end of the day so I charge it every night also (again to avoid running out the following day). Same scenario with both devices...........no battery issue here.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

    Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  7. #27  
    i too have had apps on the device itself with no memory problems. i dont swap SD cards so i dont share that problem either.


    and i have successfully used SKYPE with no problems using a WIFI connection. when i tried to use on EDGE it worked sometimes, but didnt always work.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  8. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #28  
    I don't install to the memory card. I just installeverything onto the main memory. I have 26.36 storage and 28.90 program available right now. I have the following installed to the main memory:
    Tidle Tech Word Games
    Agilemobile.com Agile Messenger
    vjay555 VJCandela
    Arcsoft Arcsoft MMS
    Macromedia Flash Player ActiveX
    C. Ghisler & Co. Total Commander
    PHM Registry Editor
    Motoblast PMVault
    Softick Card Export II

    I had the Eten dialer skin installed, but it took away my smartdialer so I removed it until the fix that to work with landscape.

    I dont have an 8125, but I do have a PPC-6700. Skype works on mine with EVDO or Wifi without overclocking. I also use Smartskey, but it doesn't show up in the remove programs spot. I use it to "close" programs and for the 4-way support in the dialer since you cant see your call log while on a call with the default setup.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    Surprisingly, although the 8125 has Bluetooth 1.2, it doesn't have stereo Bluetooth functionality.
    For stereo over Bluetooth 8125 needs to be updated Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP), which is not currently available.

    I found an excellent guide over at xda-developer on setting up MD Vario. It covers many useful registry tweaks and programs.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=43705
  10. #30  
    I have to agree with jlczl and CPcrazyfly. I have had FEWER memory problems on the 8125 than either of my Treos (600 & 650) or even my HP 4155. Maybe I just don't tax mine as much as others around here (never have tried Skype because no international traffic right now, and I don't use all my Cingular minutes as it is).

    If you are using an 8125 without Smartskey. you will pull your hair out in an instant for lack of one-handed support. With it, the stylus can stay in the unit 95% of the time.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions