Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In response to this post in the future Treo's thread:

Quote Originally Posted by tchristian34
    I hope the Treo800 is a thinner model that folds in half to be about the thickness of my current 650. I know, probably too much to ask. I'd upgrade to it even if it has the exact same features!
    I though its appropriate to show what the competition can achieve. If HTC can do it for themselves, they may be able to do something similar for Palm?

Obligatory size caparison.

HTC Startrek 98 x 53 x 13.9 mm
    Treo 650 113 x 59 x 23

It has similar specs to the HTC wizard (64MB ram, 128MB ROM, TI OMAP 200 MHz processor, 240x320 screen + external screen, 1.3 Mega-pixel camera, WM 5 for smartphone, A2DP and Direct Push, GSM/GPRS, bluetooth), micro-SD expansion.

Many more pictures here.

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5105.html

HTC seems to be maturing very rapidly into a Nokia like company, but with less hubris. I wish they were listed on a local stock exchange, because I certainly think they are worth investing in.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 04/09/2006 at 02:49 PM.
    Is that the flip smartphone that was posted a few months ago? So Qtek has a version too? I wish I could find it for sale.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    By the way, that other music smartphone you posted about(can't find the thread), does it have email capabilty? I assume so because it has WM5, but just making sure.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    The HTC Startrek is a WM smartphone, and the HTC Muse is a full WM Pocketpc phone. The capability is obviously there, but these days it seems its essential to also have a keyboard to support it. I dont think the Muse will have a Qwerty keyboard, so its probably only appropriate for light use. Its main market will be the professional that mainly use voice, but also takes his entertainment seriously, but hates carrying too many gadgets, and is looking for a converged camera/phone/music/e-mail device.

BTW, HTC just makes them, and they get re-branded by everyone else. There's a good chance this will make it to USA, as HTC seems to be very interested in the American market recently.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 04/08/2006 at 07:30 PM.
    I don't see any pr0n.

I thought you were going to show me nudies of Jolene Blalock.

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The HTC Startrek is a WM smartphone, and the HTC Muse is a full WM Pocketpc phone. The capability is obviously there, but these days it seems its essential to also have a keyboard to support it. I dont think the Muse will have a Qwerty keyboard, so its probably only appropriate for light use. Its main market will be the professional that mainly use voice, but also takes his entertainment seriously, but hates carrying too many gadgets, and is looking for a converged camera/phone/music/e-mail device.

BTW, HTC just makes them, and they get re-branded by everyone else. There's a good chance this will make it to USA, as HTC seems to be very interested in the American market recently.

Surur
    Looks like I better brush up on my T9 skills(don't laugh). I like small smartphones depsite having no keyboard. I don't always want to carry full size.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I don't see any pr0n.

I thought you were going to show me nudies of Jolene Blalock.

Damn, now I gotta search for Jolene Blalock...
    This is all old news. The first pictutres of this phone appeared months ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Damn, now I gotta search for Jolene Blalock...
    Much better than some damn phone!

MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    If the Startrek has the reported 750 mAh battery what does that make its target market? Landline replacement (never too far from a charger)?

<hyperbole>It's like putting a one gallon gas tank in a car</hyperbole>
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

Hemorrhoids?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    If the Startrek has the reported 750 mAh battery what does that make its target market? Landline replacement (never too far from a charger)?
    Its the same size battery as the Razr I believe. Its obviously for light, phone centric use. It broadens the market from geeks to fashionistas like LT

Surur
  13.    #13  
    More more pictures from another site. With so many review units floating around it must be coming out soon.

http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/ht..._impressions/1

Surur
    I don't see why a palm OS phone like this is not feasible. Just look at the old kyocera 7135. This was a beautiful form factor, truly solid, and would have been great if it wasn't for a grossly underpowered processor. Techology is far improved by now, so that the identical phone could now be made but probably half the size. I would take a flip phone anyday over a candybar. The screen is always protected. Easy on/off, answer/hang-up, more compact yet "expands" to a larger size for ease of use. Heck, I would go back to the 7135 form even in it's current size if it had all the internal specs of the 650.
    HTC seems to be maturing very rapidly into a Nokia like company, but with less hubris. I wish they were listed on a local stock exchange, because I certainly think they are worth investing in.

Surur
    That's a good observation, especially given the winning bid last week for the 2010 US Census which is going to put 500,000 HTC branded smartphones (presumably Wizard or Hermes) in the field for data collection.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  16.    #16  
    Its really only a question of time before they go mainstream. They are in the cusp now, and last year only those in the know (thats us) knew their name. They arguably have better fundamentals than Palm, have better carrier relationships, are not afraid of technology and are in a rapidly growing market with little hype associated with them (unlike Palm) so the stock price is probably still realistic.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 04/10/2006 at 09:57 AM.
  17.    #17  
    A mini review with more pictures.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0410035742.htm

Apparently HTC thinks they can take on Motorola directly with this device (which to me seems a bit stupid, as the Razr meme must have nearly run its course by now).

HTC to introduce smartphone to compete with V3, say sources
    Daniel Shen, Taipei; Jessie Shen, DigiTimes.com [Monday 10 April 2006]

High Tech Computer (HTC) may launch its StarTek ultra-slim clamshell smartphone based on the Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system in Europe and Asia this quarter, according to market sources.

The new 2.75G smartphone measures only 1.58cm in depth and weighs 99g and will be positioned to compete against the Motorola V3 series, the sources indicated.

Taiwan-based Dopod International will roll out a model (S300) in the beginning of May based on the specifications, with the S300 expected to be priced at NT$15,000, the sources noted. Europe-based Qtek will also market the device (8500) and HTC is in talks with unspecified telecom carriers in Europe to carry the product, the sources indicated.

In addition, market analysts project that HTC will achieve record-high revenues in the second quarter of 2006, buoyed by new orders from US customers. As reported on April 3, HTC secured a PDA phone order from US-based Harris. US-based Modeo announced that it will offer a DVB-H (digital video broadcasting-handheld) supporting handheld device manufactured by HTC in the second half of this year.

In March, HTC posted revenues of NT$9 billion, up 82.65% on year. Accumulated sales for the first three months of this year reached NT$24.01 billion, up 81.22% from 2005. The stock price for HTC closed at NT$915 on April 10, up 3% from NT$888 the previous day.
    http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ma...ges=PR&seq=208

Surur
  18.    #18  
    Well, it was faster than I thought, but the HTC Startrek is now on sale in Asia as the Dopod S300. Its only $427 before any subsidy!

Some more pics.
    http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/dopod/...p?pid=AZV00138

Surur
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Anybody have and idea when it will be released in the U.S. I really like the looks of this phone.
    Well, it was faster than I thought, but the HTC Startrek is now on sale in Asia as the Dopod S300. Its only $427 before any subsidy!

Surur
    It's for sale on May 15th here:
    http://www.dweiniger.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast