1.    #1  
    I picked up a 7250 model Blackberry for Sprint earlier this week. I made the purchase with the idea that the BB would be simple, efficient and reliable device that I would not have to "think" about as much as a PPC or Treo. So far that has held true, but boy this thing caught me off guard. It makes the ppc and palm os seem like twins in comparison to the way it works. It is entirely different. If you are familiar with BB and how they work stop reading- if you have been curious about them than this may interest you.

The 7250 is a nice device- I love the form factor, it packs an EVDO radio, (needs OS upgrade and PRL update to work- both recently made available through Sprint) bluetooth, and has a terrific keyboard. The screen is decent, no 650 here, not even PPC in terms of resolution but the nice things about it is that it does not wash out in the sun. You could be standing on the beach and it would be perfectly readable- nice. No touch screen, the device works via a rocker on the side for scrolling and also a button that hangs up the phone or goes "back". The RF radio performance is as good as the 650 if not a little better.

A few things caught me off guard immediately. First is that Blackberry is not just a device, it is a service. This means a few things. First, that the device comes handicapped and the service provider unlocks certain functionalities. For instance, upon boot-up I did not even have a web browser, Sprint sent me a "service pack" that enabled it after activation. I think the idea is that when these are deployed on an enterprise level, the IT admins have an unbelivable amount of control on what these will do and what they wont.

I had some trouble getting data service working on this phone. Finally got connected to BB support (ala tier 2 tech support) and they told me that I needed to have a blackberry plan in order to make it work. $45 a month for unlimited email/data! I added it and things finally got going. I called back the agent I got it from and he said that the $45 plan is only for device without a voice plan and that they typical $15/powervision plan would work. I called the next day and deleted the BB plan and things have kept working- but be aware your mileage may vary. (The tier 2 guy seemed to know what he was talking about)

So on to email set up. This falls under "messaging" and is very different from the treos or PPCs. All you messages are centrally located, voicemail, sms, all email accounts etc. This takes some getting used to. There are no POP/SMTP settings on the device itself, everything is deleivered via my sprint.blackberry.net email address that was given to me when I activated it. Part of the package when you are not on a blackerry enterpise server is blackberry internet service. BIS. This is very much like any web based email system but it has a few add ons. I can compose and view all email associated with the blackerry address.

I am setup to have my gmail messages forwarded to the blackberry and then the BIS also polls my companys exchange server via POP. So I get gmail instantly and corproate email within 15 minutes. The nice thing is though that when BIS finds an email on my companys exchange server it begins to poll at quicker intervals, anticpiating a flurry of message exchanges. So if I am sending out messages back and forth it works pretty well and usually gets me the messages within a minute or two. You can set up BIS to poll up to 10 POP/IMAP accounts and of course you could forward an unlimted number of accounts to the blackberry email address.

I am still not quite used to having all of my messaging consolidated. Work, personal, SMS, even voicemail. I did not like it at all but it is starting to grow on me. The one big issue is that your "From" address is always the same regardless of what account you are replying or sending from. I told BIS that i want my from address to be my work email, so that is the from field even when responsind to my personal gmail messages. Rumor has it that a new update is being deployed (proabably around the same time as the treo 900!)that will work through BIS and automatically create a "from" address that corresponds to the proper email account but for now the only work around is a 3rd party program called bbrely that allows you to choose a reply to address. So they still see my work email in the "from" but when they hit reply my gmail address is there. Just ok.

So- If I was reading this I would be asking what is so great about the blackberry. It is crippled! Yes, but the difference is that the device is absolutely rock solid. I have not got one error or timeout on a send or receive and emails are come in so fast it is rediculous. Versamail is not even comporable and even chatter is somewhat bush league in comparsion to reliability and robustness. The thing just works!

To be continued...
    Last edited by Les Anderson; 04/08/2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Good read.
    Ouch.....that "from" thing sounds like a PITA. I would have a hard time managing my 3 accounts with peeps replying always to my work address.
    i had a blackberry for a while...it was an unlocked 7100t. I got it cheap off of ebay and liked the way it ran. However, i ended up selling it because there was no way to make the internet work without signing up for a BB plan through Cingular and the unlimited media net plan i have is soooooo much cheaper. (Seriously....$20/mo or $50/mo...thats an easy decision for me!) I also didn't like how the buttons were each two letters (like A and S on the same key)
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    ...The one big issue is that your "From" address is always the same regardless of what account you are replying or sending from. I told BIS that i want my from address to be my work email, so that is the from field even when responsind to my personal gmail messages. Rumor has it that a new update is being deployed (proabably around the same time as the treo 900!)that will work through BIS and automatically create a "from" address that corresponds to the proper email account but for now the only work around is a 3rd party program called bbrely that allows you to choose a reply to address. So they still see my work email in the "from" but when they hit reply my gmail address is there. Just ok.

What I didn't like besides the "from" address problem (in my case, I had BIS through T-Mobile) is that any replies and all exchanges thenceforth, would go only to/through the device and not the respective servers.

Can you please provide a link to the bbrely program? I searched and got only junk. Thanks.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    i had a blackberry for a while...it was an unlocked 7100t. I got it cheap off of ebay and liked the way it ran. However, i ended up selling it because there was no way to make the internet work without signing up for a BB plan through Cingular and the unlimited media net plan i have is soooooo much cheaper. (Seriously....$20/mo or $50/mo...thats an easy decision for me!) I also didn't like how the buttons were each two letters (like A and S on the same key)
    I am in the same boat as you. I am tempted to buy a BB but I really do not want to loose the current plan that I have going on. I wish that there was some way to make everything work without having to need that stupid data plan. The BB is a solid device. I have yet to have one come back after I sold it to a customer.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    What I didn't like besides the "from" address problem (in my case, I had BIS through T-Mobile) is that any replies and all exchanges thenceforth, would go only to/through the device and not the respective servers.

Can you please provide a link to the bbrely program? I searched and got only junk. Thanks.

bbreply; http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6944

I am actually using a program called "pocketday" which is a today screen like app that has a few utilities in it- including a "reply to" option that is better than bbreply. Pocketday is $20 but after using it for only a day it has become essential.

In regards to the blackberry data plan. I am still on the $15 vision. I ordered the device from a large sprint agent who said that the $45 blackberry plan is only if you dont want voice service.

Now- it seems like he may wrong, however- my 7250 shipped directly from the sprint warehouse in KY activated on a powervision plan. In addition, you can search sprints website high and low and not find one word about different plans for blackberry- never mind ones that are $45.

So for now, I am going to ride this out and see how it goes. If they do an account sweep and add it to my plan than I will raise hell and get a trade in from sprint. None of their policies are clear- and it takes talking to high level support before you even hear a word any add on plan.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  8.    #8  
    I mentioned that there was rumored to be a new version of BIS that was going to be deployed by the various service providers soon. Still nothing specific as to when sprint si going to make the update, but I am starting to see posts were people have got it. Canadian carrier I think I saw- so hopefully this will come soon.

The upgrade will automatically choose your "from" address based on which account you are replying to. So if it is gmail, name@gmail.com will be the from address, work will be name@my company's corporate domain. This is a true FROM address too, not just reply address.

That will be big.
    Thanks, Robber. Big is right. I'm likely to stay with T-Mobile and I'd probably look at their upcoming 8700 if I went back. I hope BB also moves toward improving their OS and other-than-mail support, especially (!) their PIM -on their own, or at least with developers.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    BTW, here's a link to BB on the Treo (which may not belong here): http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060412/20060411006154.html?.v=1
  11.    #11  
    Sprint released BIS 2.0 over the weekend. Verizon, Tmobile and Cingular have done so as well. This addresses the "from" issue when creating emails. There is also a different inbox icon for each account. (The centralized primary box is still there as well)

This device just went from great to superb.

EDIT:Cingular apparently has not upgraded yet.
    Last edited by Les Anderson; 05/01/2006 at 12:11 PM.
    My wife recently discontinued her Blueberry service on her Nextel unit and activacted the Sprint Treo 600 I upgraded from. Much better all the way around and a lot cheaper. Ben
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    My wife recently discontinued her Blueberry service on her Nextel unit and activacted the Sprint Treo 600 I upgraded from. Much better all the way around and a lot cheaper. Ben
    Unless you need something that is stable and secure of course.