Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the next few days I am getting a Sprint PPC6700 to review. I am a Palm OS fan, and love my Treo 650. It will be nice to see how this device stacks up against it.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/04/im...to-review.html
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 04/06/2006 at 11:51 AM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Is the review unit updated to new rom?
    I am interested in your review. I have been using Palm since 2000 and love it. I presently have the 650 on Sprint, and after getting a Slingbox, I now find myself seriously considering getting a PPC-6700. The problem is I have played with the 6700 and find it very difficult to use (due to my unfamiliarity of WM).

I really want the 700p but don't know if Sling Media will ever release a Plalm based mobile player. IMO, they are missing out on a HUGE market without a Palm player.

This is frustrating...
    For those new to Win Mobile....just remember that it is a new OS to you and you can do just about everything you did on your Palm, just a little differently.

Checkout
    Windows Mobile FAQ
    WM Easy of Use / One Hand Tips Thread

and read thru many of the 6600 and 6700 threads in this forum to get loads of hints and help.
    my 6700 is awesome...probably will go back when the 700P comes out, though
  6.    #6  
    I should be receiving the 6700 today. Is there any software you would recommend?
    Jimmie Geddes
    memmaid
    rescoe file explorer
    sbp pocket plus sbp diary
    sbp weather
    tcmp

those are the main apps I actually use. PIE is screaming fast with evdo...wifi is just silly fas on broadband.
    Love my 6700, would never go back to palm.
  9.    #9  
    Did you guys find it hard to go from Palm to Windows Mobile? I love my Treo 650, and am so used to it. I am wondering how you guys "switched".
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Did you guys find it hard to go from Palm to Windows Mobile? I love my Treo 650, and am so used to it. I am wondering how you guys "switched".
    There is always a learning curve....just like there would be if a PPC person bought a Palm device. To help those transition I linked to several threads I started to help those along during this time.

It isn't that it is any harder with a PPC, just a different mindset in how things are organized and how you go about doing it.

I am not a MS support in any since (but that is a different story)....but with all the improvements of the Win Mobile OS over the lack of progress with Palm, I would find it very hard to go back to Palm unless they updated their OS. True multitasking is HUGE feature that I use to the extreme in my daily life at work or on the road.
    I should be receiving the 6700 today. Is there any software you would recommend?
    I personally recommend:

• Resco File Manager
    • Sprite Backup
    • MS Voice Command
    • Pocket Informant -- PIM
    • MailFlex (formerly know as WebIs Mail)
    • PocketBreeze & Contact Breeze -- Today plugin in to display calender and email summaries and easy one handed contact look up and dialing
    • WisBar Advance 2 -- Good skins, great utilities including close program button, task manager, and nice menu organizer
    • SBP PocketPlus -- great utilities including safe mode, zip files, and alt-tab

Here are some other great software references that I and others have posted:

Here is probably the number one site for PPC reference I have ever found:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_top/bestsites.asp

I hope this helps.
    No. 10 min and you will be able to do 90% of the stuff. As soon as you start multitasking you will never be able to understand why anyone would use palm... and I was a die hard palm fan for years.

If you feel any apprehension from some on this board, its because the WM OS was really unstable for years. Like 4-10 crashes per day in version 2 and 3.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks Guys, I appreciate all your tips. The last Windows Mobile I used was an ipaq 4150, I'm pretty sure it was PPC 2003, or something to that effect.

I remember using some of the apps Hobbes recommended.

Have any of you used Styletap?

Some of the things I'm looking forward to trying is XM radio, Skype, Opera.

What is the best browser in your opinion?
    Jimmie Geddes
    IMO my 8125 has been more reliable than my treo 650. However I like the form factor of the treo better than the 8125. Going from POS to WM5 was pretty easy to me, but I have had every other 3rd party OS on any other phone that I have owned. IMO Symbian Series 60 is the easiest 3rd party OS to learn on a phone. That is what I started on, and I still like to use it time to time on my Nokia N90. I can't wait until I can get my hands on a Nokia E61 (Nokia Blackberryesque device)
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    my 6700 is awesome...probably will go back when the 700P comes out, though
    The 6700 is probably my next phone, even when the 700p is released. Unless I go uber geek and get a second line for myself.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I have a 6700. It is sweet. Looking at buying a Treo 650 for my 2nd line. I prefer the 6700, but the 650 was convient. Call quality was never too good though...
  17.    #17  
    I just got an email that the 6700 was delivered, I'm looking forward to trying it out. I don't know if I could give up my 650 though, and Palm OS. It'll be fun to try it out.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Well I just ordered a 6700 on a whim. It'll be here tomorrow. I hope I like it...
  19.    #19  
    I just installed windows XP on my intel imac, gonna install activesync for the ppc 6700 now. It's been a busy day,lol. I like the 6700, it came fully charged. I am still getting used to it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    It will be hard at first due to the way things can be buried in files. The built-in "launcher" is the same as desktop Windows, meaning start searching for what you need. You'll also need to shut down open programs manually(OK does NOT work), a real pain because "running programs" is under the Memory folder, which you have to search for. But I guess that's for multi-tasking, keeping programs open. Except they gave no option for actually shutting the programs down from the OK button(except on 700w). Third party software can solve both these problems.

Active Sync is also a bit weird, likes to keep running for no reason, even after I thought I turned it off.

Now for the good news. It actually looks better than Palm OS. Superficial I know, but if it matters, at least you won't hurt your eyes while getting frustrated. Also, PIE is probably a better browser than Blazer.

But you'll get used to WM5, even with all it's quirks. I just went back to Palm for a while and I have to say I still like Palm but the built-in Calender and Tasks functions on WM5 are better.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast