Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    So how is that necessarily bad? His site is free. I didn't get charged for reading. Lots of people also post links in their sig. I've gone to those sites too. Maybe it is subtle promotion, but as long as we don't get tricked into going to a virus ladden site or something, THEN I'd be angry. All my spyware and virus detection is up to date though, just in case. But his particular site isn't so bad. Was there something there I was supposed to get tricked into buying? I didn't see it, all I saw was a lot of Apple musings, which can be interesting. He doesn't even post that often. I have probably been on here more than he has lately.
    So if I place an empty McDonalds sack on your yard for free is that not littering? This is the same thing. If you have a link in your signature that is a totally different thing unless you are starting threads telling people to go to your site. My point is he is trying to drive traffic to his site instead of to TreoCentral.com. At the least if he is doing a review and wants to promote it he needs to contact TreoCentral and ask them to post his review on their site. That is the honorable thing to do.
    I'm still confused as to why this is so bad. Because I don't see anything for sale there. Maybe I'm missing something, but if he was blatantly selling something, then I'd agree. But not many are going to go over there anyway unless they are interested in the 6700! How much traffic is he really going to generate from TREOcentral for a 6700 review? He also posted a reciprocal link to TC on his site. He also came back to discuss the subject. If he were really spamming, he'd have posted and left.

And how is having a link to your business(or personal) site in your sig much different than starting a thread, other than being an even more subtle way of self-promotion? However, I really don't care about people posting links to other sites as long as they aren't out of hand. It's not that big of a deal, unless there is a rule that no one can post their link.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I personally agree with gharrod about this guy plugging his website. I even agree that this should have been posted in another thread already devoted to the PPC-6700 (there are quite a few). I dont even care that gharrod has posted his discontent with Jimmie, although it is stearing this otherwise helpful and informative thread off course. Jimmie is a tool, but I don't offering my thoughts and opinions to him or anyone else if it may help. The PPC-6700 is a great device. It is early life cycle for it and has a few quirks and problems. The Treo 650 did too when it was first released (still does too), the PPC-6700 is only going to get better and the hardware destroys the 650s, so if you are ok with the form factor, this will be a good device for you.

Now Hobbes find that damn registry hack.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    LOL.....did Tweak2K lite have it? Did that PocketPCthoughts thread not have it in it?
    I personally agree with gharrod about this guy plugging his website. I even agree that this should have been posted in another thread already devoted to the PPC-6700 (there are quite a few). I dont even care that gharrod has posted his discontent with Jimmie, although it is stearing this otherwise helpful and informative thread off course. Jimmie is a tool, but I don't offering my thoughts and opinions to him or anyone else if it may help. The PPC-6700 is a great device. It is early life cycle for it and has a few quirks and problems. The Treo 650 did too when it was first released (still does too), the PPC-6700 is only going to get better and the hardware destroys the 650s, so if you are ok with the form factor, this will be a good device for you.

There must be something I'm unaware of. No love for JG. But yet several others get away with free advertising and no one says anything.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I can already tell you what Jimmie's review will say. It will be fluffy, it walk talk about the hardware in passing, compare it negatively to the Treo 650, minimize the advanced features as things he does not need, and complain that WM5 is too "complicated". He will say its a good unit, but he will go back to his trusty Treo, still the best unit EVAR! He will then say he cant wait to get the Treo 700p for a similar review.

I once told Jimmie that the LifeDrive was crap, due to using a HDD as flash memory. He defended it to no end, and almost as if to spite me he went on to buy one and proclaimed it the best device ever. A few weeks later he sold it and bought a ?Treo 650 or TX, and said it was a major improvement over the LD, which was now suddenly slow and laggy.

His reviews are very very subjective and POS biased. Dont expect anything different in this review.

Surur
    I don't know about all that, but I actually thought the LD was cool until people started saying it was slow and crash prone. I never got one, but I still am not sure it's the crap some people say it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    So if I place an empty McDonalds sack on your yard for free is that not littering? This is the same thing. If you have a link in your signature that is a totally different thing unless you are starting threads telling people to go to your site. My point is he is trying to drive traffic to his site instead of to TreoCentral.com. At the least if he is doing a review and wants to promote it he needs to contact TreoCentral and ask them to post his review on their site. That is the honorable thing to do.
    yeah, posting a review in a thread dedicated to OTHER devices AND having a signiture to your site is much worse than complaining and having a signature saying "KILL YOURSELF"

not defending anyone here, but cmon man.
    Last edited by BigKenny; 04/09/2006 at 06:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I can already tell you what Jimmie's review will say. It will be fluffy, it walk talk about the hardware in passing, compare it negatively to the Treo 650, minimize the advanced features as things he does not need, and complain that WM5 is too "complicated". He will say its a good unit, but he will go back to his trusty Treo, still the best unit EVAR! He will then say he cant wait to get the Treo 700p for a similar review.

I once told Jimmie that the LifeDrive was crap, due to using a HDD as flash memory. He defended it to no end, and almost as if to spite me he went on to buy one and proclaimed it the best device ever. A few weeks later he sold it and bought a ?Treo 650 or TX, and said it was a major improvement over the LD, which was now suddenly slow and laggy.

His reviews are very very subjective and POS biased. Dont expect anything different in this review.

Surur
    the next best thing happens to be next....
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    2. Directory assistant. Nothing nearly as useful as this program (when it worked) on WM5. I tried one or two that were very lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I've also never found anything equivalent to DA on the 6700.

I use http://m.yp.com. I set it as a favorite and then put a shortcut for it on my Today screen.. Same as DA, but for PPC.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Sorry Hobbes didnt see you had edited your previous post. I found a wakeup tweak, on one of those links, that I am testing, I thought maybe their was a registry hack or something that didnt require more installation.

jlczl does that link not work with a regular browser?
    No problem.....I hadn't had a chance to really read thru all the links I posted. I just wanted to see if you found it or not. If not I will look some more.

If you do find it, post in the WM Reg HacK thread in 700w forum so every one else can do it too.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Link works 4 me. Not working 4 u?
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I'm still confused as to why this is so bad. Because I don't see anything for sale there. Maybe I'm missing something, but if he was blatantly selling something, then I'd agree. But not many are going to go over there anyway unless they are interested in the 6700! How much traffic is he really going to generate from TREOcentral for a 6700 review? He also posted a reciprocal link to TC on his site. He also came back to discuss the subject. If he were really spamming, he'd have posted and left.

And how is having a link to your business(or personal) site in your sig much different than starting a thread, other than being an even more subtle way of self-promotion? However, I really don't care about people posting links to other sites as long as they aren't out of hand. It's not that big of a deal, unless there is a rule that no one can post their link.
    Scroll down on the site and you will find dozens of links and ads. TC is a business not a welfare system for those who can not effectively promote their sites in a legitimate way. But hey, it is not my call. If TC wants to let this continue fine with me but I have had a lot of messages in support of my stance.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    yeah, posting a review in a thread dedicated to OTHER devices AND having a signiture to your site is much worse than complaining and having a signature saying "KILL YOURSELF"

not defending anyone here, but cmon man.
    It is subliminal humor. And I suppose you really think that is a Monkey in a uniform in Insertions avatar or that that really is Perry in Perry's avatar. If you are going to criticize my signature then maybe MLB will be interested in your illegal appropriation of the Twins logo. Good grief Kenny it was not even a bad winter there. Tell me what your real problem is. If TC asks me to change the sig I will but not until then.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Crazy, that link works on my phone, but not my lappy. I just use Google SMS usually, I will check this out though. Thanks.
    maybe the good winter was my problem, put 0 miles on the sled this year...

i dont have an issue with your sig, just making a point given how harshly you were reacting to jimmie's sig...i dont see what the big deal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Scroll down on the site and you will find dozens of links and ads. TC is a business not a welfare system for those who can not effectively promote their sites in a legitimate way. But hey, it is not my call. If TC wants to let this continue fine with me but I have had a lot of messages in support of my stance.
    I've clicked on so many links in sigs, it isn't funny. If you want to stop one person from doing it, then you have to stop ALL. I don't have problem with it, however. Maybe try posting in the TC suggestion thread and see what they say, if you really want to put a stop to it.

BTW, I just noticed that someone who said they agree with you has link up to their own personal sale, but yet Jimmie cannot post his site where he isn't selling anything. Practice what you preach people!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/10/2006 at 02:30 AM.

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    The sale that I have in my signature was a joke auction. It has ended and was never posted to make money. What gharrod is talking about is Jimmie making a thread about X topic then posting a link to his blog. That is exactly what he has done in this thread aswell, generally his threads die off and their no further discussion in them, atleast a few I have seen. Note that his initial post had no question, no review posted and wasn't much more than a link and saying he is getting to review one. He could have waited until the review was finished and then posted it. The link to his blog wasn't needed, it said no more than what the first post did, except it had the phones specs. Posting a link in a signature is A-ok to me, I sometimes click signature links if I think the person has good views or I agree with them, this is just shameless bumping on his part, I think.
    Looks like a lot of double standards concerning posting of links around here! A link in your sig is still promotion.