Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 181
  1.    #21  
    I am still getting used to it. The ppc-6700 is actually faster than I expected it to be, I remember feeling that Windows Mobile was slow. While not as fast as my Treo 650 (multitasking takes a toll I guess), it's a lot better than I anticipated.

    It's a great device, but I feel that I get things done faster on my Treo, ie. email, and text messaging. I know it could be I am so used to Palm OS, I've only had the 6700 a few hours.

    I installed the apps you guys recommened:
    wisbar
    pocket informat
    resco explorer

    I'm definitely going to give this device a chance, I really like the hardware, and the OS has improved much since PPC 2003.

    Have any of you ditched a Treo 650 for this? Have you felt any of the things I mentioned, ie. email and texting on the Treo vs the ppc?

    Thanks in advance.
    Jimmie Geddes
  2. #22  
    this the next version of the 6700 (6800?) in any rumor mills yet? i love my my 650, but have outgrown it.

    how is the vpn, from what i have played with, it seems a bit quirky.

    wifi, faster processor, streaming wma, EVDO, more memory....this seems like the best route to go....even if a 700p comes out (assuming the specs are still the same).

    the only things i can see that would concern me are: minisd instead of sd, slide keyboard, lower battery life, and my past experiences with older versions of WM.

    it is starting to seem like a no brainer to get the 6700. any converts out there, what do you think?
    Last edited by BigKenny; 04/07/2006 at 02:42 AM.
  3. #23  
    Don't forget to install smartskey. It'll let you perform most common tasks one-handed. And its free
  4. #24  
    I ditched my Treo 650 for the Cingular version of this (the 8125). Absolutely no regrets. There is definitely a learning curve though, going from PalmOS to WM and it was only easier for me because in the few months before I had owned an Axim X51V and had gotten used to it.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    ___________________________________________
    T-Mobile Treo 600--> Cingular Treo 650--> Cingular 8125--> Imate JasJar--> TMobile SDA--> Cingular Blackjack --> Cingular 8525-->UBiQUiO 503g-->HP910--> HTC Fuze--> Blackberry Bold&iPod Touch
  5. #25  
    does smartkey work on the 6700? i went from 650 to 6700. form factor will be the main issue between the two. i'm a type of dude that averages 100-500 txts a day. and it's a whole lot easier on a 650 than a 6700. plus the 6700...eventho it's small...it's shaped like a brick. you cant get around that. it they added some grooves or something...it'd be fine. but nothing too big. but it's usually the little things that igg me on stuff. but i love WM5. just the look of it. the POS look just looks too simple and plain. the WM5 looks great. i had a lot of bugs with it. but that's on every phone. my main issue was...sometimes when i went to answer the phone....the phone would just sit there. i hit answer....but it wouldnt pick up. so i'd had to call the person back. but i got that with my 650, and my a920. but...i love it. just make sure you have a 2nd charger around tho. at work...or wherever you go. i want to get it again...
  6. #26  
    Ive owned both the treo and 6700 twice over now and although a close debate in actual performance,in my opinion, the treo still wins. I found the 6700 battery life to be almost to the point of unacceptable, and forget using WIFI itll be dead in an hour or 2. I have a treo 650 now and the battery seems to last all day no problem with 50% to spare even with heavier use and browsing. Although the both weigh close to the same and the same dimensions, the 6700 feels more like carrying a brick due to the treo being rounded and the design. I just hated carying the 6700 but I dont mind the treo it "seems" so much smaller on my belt clip. Screen wise, of course the 6700 wins hands down its way bigger and you can do landscape. Keyboard wise, Id give the edge to the treo, I couldnt stand sliding it out everytime I needed to type and although was a bigger keyboard, was just akward to type on and wasnt jsut there in front of you when you needed it like the treos fixed keyboard- especially whyen dialing phone numbers, was extremely difficult unless using the stylus on the 6700 since no accessable keyboard. The treo just wins hands down on software selection, although PPC windows is catching up slowly theres just thousands of palm programs that do everything. Of course the 6700 has WIFI and EVDO and a better camera, but hopefully the treo 700p will catch it back up with the 128mb of memory, EVDO and 1.3 MP camera, and as I said earlier, WIFI jsut chunks your battery anyways very fast. Overall my preference is the treo because I dnt have to carry a charger everywhere and worry bout my battery dying which is most important to me since cant do much with a dead battery. Ill definantly be getting a 700p next month and hopefully it well level the playing field even more between the 2. I love windows mobile but Ive jsut had way less lockups and needs to reset with palm, maybe Im just lucky.
  7.    #27  
    It's funny that you mention the "brick" like feel. The 6700 and the Treo 650 are pretty much the same exact size, but the 6700 feels like a brick. It feels so much bigger, even though it isn't. A co-worker couldn't believe that they were actually the same size. The Treo wins on texting, email, phone, all due to the keyboard, and one handed navigation. I will download smartkey to give it a try.
    Jimmie Geddes
  8. jglev's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    does smartkey work on the 6700?
    Yes, it does, but most important, it allows you to map the d-pad in the Phone app to Call Log and Quick dial. You can disable the other things it does if you want (like the Start and OK key mapped to the soft key buttons and the volume contoller functions) and just have it do the d-pad. It works great.

    You may want to see this thread: http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...ight=smartskey
    Jeff
  9. #29  
    well jimmie, keep us posted on what you think. i was just at the sprint store and they gave me an offer i could not refuse on the 6700. I bought it. i think i should feel guilty for everything they have done for me. some people hate sprint, but, aside from an occasional ***** in customer service, i love em!
    I now have 2 weeks to decide if it is a keeper and will replace my treo. i already have a 1gb minisd card on the way.
  10. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #30  
    I like Smartskey. I mapped the right softkey to close all programs. I then ditched Magicbutton and my device is much peppier. I also like how you can check the call log while on the phone with Smartskey, you couldn't before as the option wasn't available.
  11. #31  
    what is the best forum for 6700 users?
  12. #32  
    alpha version of new missing sunc for WM5 is available


    http://www.markspace.com/testing/
  13.    #33  
    Sprint is great, the best for data plans. I live in North NJ, very close to NYC, so EV-DO and voice coverage is awesome here.
    Jimmie Geddes
  14. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    what is the best forum for 6700 users?
    PDAPhoneHome.com
  15. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #35  
    This has me pretty excited too...

    I hope this guy lets me beta test.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Sprint is great, the best for data plans. I live in North NJ, very close to NYC, so EV-DO and voice coverage is awesome here.
    data is one of the main reasons i am still with them. corp and loyalty discounts are the others...
  17. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #37  
    Data is the only reason I am with them. I hate ESNs. I want to swap phones at my leisure.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23
    Ive owned both the treo and 6700 twice over now and although a close debate in actual performance,in my opinion, the treo still wins. I found the 6700 battery life to be almost to the point of unacceptable, and forget using WIFI itll be dead in an hour or 2. I have a treo 650 now and the battery seems to last all day no problem with 50% to spare even with heavier use and browsing. Although the both weigh close to the same and the same dimensions, the 6700 feels more like carrying a brick due to the treo being rounded and the design. I just hated carying the 6700 but I dont mind the treo it "seems" so much smaller on my belt clip. Screen wise, of course the 6700 wins hands down its way bigger and you can do landscape. Keyboard wise, Id give the edge to the treo, I couldnt stand sliding it out everytime I needed to type and although was a bigger keyboard, was just akward to type on and wasnt jsut there in front of you when you needed it like the treos fixed keyboard- especially whyen dialing phone numbers, was extremely difficult unless using the stylus on the 6700 since no accessable keyboard. The treo just wins hands down on software selection, although PPC windows is catching up slowly theres just thousands of palm programs that do everything. Of course the 6700 has WIFI and EVDO and a better camera, but hopefully the treo 700p will catch it back up with the 128mb of memory, EVDO and 1.3 MP camera, and as I said earlier, WIFI jsut chunks your battery anyways very fast. Overall my preference is the treo because I dnt have to carry a charger everywhere and worry bout my battery dying which is most important to me since cant do much with a dead battery. Ill definantly be getting a 700p next month and hopefully it well level the playing field even more between the 2. I love windows mobile but Ive jsut had way less lockups and needs to reset with palm, maybe Im just lucky.
    I feel the same way. The 6700 (though much newer than the 650) is actually worse in many areas. Battery life, screen resolution, screen brightness, one-handed usage, size, phone app, SMS app, email app, software availability, etc. are all better on the much older Treo 650.

    The update to the 6700 was a good one, though it could have been a lot better. With the update, the 6700 has the advantage in data speed and WiFi, though you really can't use either one if you're not plugged into the wall for power.
  19.    #39  
    I used the 6700 all day at work, I used it for calls, emailing, and texting. I feel that the 650 accomplished all of the tasks better. I really like the 6700, it's by far the best windows mobile device I've ever used. I think the 650 wins for the tasks because Palm really played a role in optimizing the OS for one handed navigation, (maybe if device maufacturers on Windows Mobile side got more involved it would be better, the 700w I tried out was better at one hand navigation than the 6700, again Palm played a major role in that as well) almost everything can be done without a stylus, hardly any screen tapping. Texting, phone calls, and emails seem so natural and intuitive on my 650, right now (my opinion).

    The 6700 wins on EV-DO, it's so much faster than the 650 for browsing, but for the things I use (my opinion) the 650 does a better job at getting things done fast. It could be that I am so used to and trained with the Palm OS, but I'm really giving the 6700 a chance. Mulitasking is cool (don't know if I need it), there are some apps, and things that the 6700 wins hands down, wifi, EV-DO, multimedia.

    Again this is my real first day of using the 6700 as my smart phone, without using my 650 (a device I use every day for for over a year). I did keep my 650 in my bag, but used the 6700 as my only device all day. Battery life was fine, nothing to complain about, better than I expected.

    Sprint is letting me review this device for 2 weeks (very cool of them), and I like it more than I thought I ever would. I've been a Palm OS user since 1999, and have tried different Microsoft PPC's over the years, and this is the first device I could see possbily making me switch. It's my first day in, and there are great things, and some things I wish were better. I appreciate all you guys helping me with it, and giving me tips. You have provided a better experience because of it. Thanks again.
    Jimmie Geddes
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I feel the same way. The 6700 (though much newer than the 650) is actually worse in many areas. Battery life, screen resolution, screen brightness, one-handed usage, size, phone app, SMS app, email app, software availability, etc. are all better on the much older Treo 650.

    The update to the 6700 was a good one, though it could have been a lot better. With the update, the 6700 has the advantage in data speed and WiFi, though you really can't use either one if you're not plugged into the wall for power.
    battery life-agreed, i will see how big of an issue this is for me
    screen res - yes and no. one can argue this is a big deal, but to me the aspect of 1:1 on the treo was not good either. yes i am losing 80 pixels, but i like the 4:3 or 3:4 aspect better.
    brightness - agreed
    one hand usage - sounds like there is an app that helps with this. from what i have found, most 3rd party palm apps do not support this very well anyway
    size - almost the same, the 6700 does feel bigger. i have another line for when i go out anyway
    phone app - will see
    SMS - sounds like there is a beta of a threaded sms for WM
    email - worse than versa? i find this hard to believe, we will see.
    software - i actually found this to be the complete oppisite.

    we will see if i still have this in 2 weeks.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions