1.    #1  
    I recently finished my switch to a PalmVx from my visor delux. I really liked the spring board idea, but here I was 8 months later and had not bought any. Then I began thinking that It was not likely that I was ever going to buy any spring boards because they were either too expensive, too bulky, or not the ones I want. Sound Familuar? So I found myself stuck with a Handheld which was arguably a little larger that other products on the market, one which the OS was not upgradable, and a cover that was just plain horrible. The screen clarity is not the best either. So I got a palm Vx. The screen is unsurpassed in clarity and crispness and the body is metal. A excellently designed product.

It is unfortunate, but I think the springboard idea will be a bust. It reminds me of the dot.com market speculation of the past year or so. The marked rallied on beliefs of the potental of the dot.com revolution and all the infinate ideas which could be created and markets to be tapped. Ever product had an online store popping up and the market was loving it. I see this like the springboard. There is indead a great potential for such an expansive idea. It is, however, just speculation, and it will not likely catch on. Handspring needs to refocus its attention. I would rather have a very small handheld and occassionally snap a larger size modem when I need it than have a larger size handheld whih a springboard modem which I rarely use.
    It's kind of interesting the different perspectives that are possible.

I didn't even think of getting a Visor until this Christmas. I got my wife a solo, then just "HAD" to get myself a Platinum once I saw what her solo could do.

There are dozens of modules to choose from now. I have an eyemodule (discounted to $70) and we bought an 8meg flash module for the solo. I'll get a few more modules eventually. I agree that most seem overpriced, but I've already seen the prices coming down as competition increases. I'm not concerned that there will never be more modules. I think we're just seeing the first trickle of a flood.

I've created Visor envy among all my palm using friends. A few have the thinner metal cased palm, but even they admire my module-ability. I'd like to see the visor thinner, too, but it's current thickness (excusing the Prism) is compatible with my shirt pocket. I doubt we'll ever see a thinner visor, since that springboard slot dictates much of the design. I'm OK with that, though. Thin may be in, but fat is where it's at. I'm not tempted to put my thick visor in my pants pocket where I'd likely sit on it. One palm owning friend complained that she had been on the waiting list for a visor when they first came out. Her patience grew thin, and she bought a palm. It is unfortunate how timing shapes a product's acceptance. She couldn't get her hands in a Visor. I see them in walmart.

The only screen improvement I think all PDAs need is MORE PIXELS. The few pixels I have seem perfectly clear to me. I'd LOVE to have at least a 320x320 screen, though.

I rant because I can. I'm a Visor lovin' man!

Dave ;-)
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    Originally posted by DBrown

The only screen improvement I think all PDAs need is MORE PIXELS. The few pixels I have seem perfectly clear to me. I'd LOVE to have at least a 320x320 screen, though.

Dave, just curious, but how would you do this? A screen that size, with the same size pixels, would be four times as big as current screens. Would you want smaller pixels, larger screens, or both?
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    Originally posted by DBrown

Dave, just curious, but how would you do this? A screen that size, with the same size pixels, would be four times as big as current screens. Would you want smaller pixels, larger screens, or both?
    I'd leave the screen the same size. I can SEE the 160 pixels we have now. I want VHS grade video (320x240) to appear fluid and smooth. Right now I see pixelization.

The only way I'd like a larger screen is if it folded out of the current form factor. I suspect someone someday will product a full color flexible viewscreen than can be scrolled (rolled) into a small package. You'd pull the two halves of your PDA apart, maybe 6" or so, to get a DVD 720 pixels wide and 16:9 screen ratio. I can wait for this one.

Dave ;-)
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    It ain't sexy, but the first module I purchased -- incidentally, available from day one -- was the backup module. Like I said, ain't sexy, but saved my **** a number of times. Even if I never get another module, the backup module alone is worth the spring board slot. Cause, when I travel, or am away from a computer to which I can sync my Visor -- that module is priceless insurance. Take your Vx out of town, another country, anywhere away from your sync computer and, as Jack Nicholson says in A Few Good Men: "...then roll the dice and take your chances." Cause even the vaunted Vx can lose its data. You can take the Vx to the dance, cause she's prettier; but marry the Visor, she won't let you down.
    Pretty silly analogy. The Vx holds a charge for a LONG time with normal use. There are many 'travel kits' for V-series Palms that allow a quick recharge from anything from an international power outlet to a lighter in a car. There's even a 9v battery recharger adapter so you can recharge with that when nothing else presents itself.

As for losing your data, the very act of syncing to a PC or Mac backs up your data... As will Backup Buddy. I've had my Prism for months now and see very little advantage to using the Backup Module.

b

Originally posted by sanchan
    It ain't sexy, but the first module I purchased -- incidentally, available from day one -- was the backup module. Like I said, ain't sexy, but saved my **** a number of times. Even if I never get another module, the backup module alone is worth the spring board slot. Cause, when I travel, or am away from a computer to which I can sync my Visor -- that module is priceless insurance. Take your Vx out of town, another country, anywhere away from your sync computer and, as Jack Nicholson says in A Few Good Men: "...then roll the dice and take your chances." Cause even the vaunted Vx can lose its data. You can take the Vx to the dance, cause she's prettier; but marry the Visor, she won't let you down.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    I see quite a bit of advantage to the backup module. Like a hard reset during class. I was back up and running before the instructor had gotten to the next subject. The fact is Palm Desktop doesn't back everything up. So you can spend $30 and be tethered to your desktop or $40 and roam the wide, wild world. Start it backing up when you get into your car. Use the visor when you get there, then back it up again when you get back in your car. During the dead time when you can't use your visor you can make sure it has everything secure. I've never lost more than an hour's worth of fiddling around. And I don't think sanchan was referring to the lithiom ion vs. disposable alkalines when he mentioned taking your chances. I think he was referring to the fact that if you Palm V crashes you're SOL until you get home. But he can speak for himself.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by pixelator
    As for losing your data, the very act of syncing to a PC or Mac backs up your data... As will Backup Buddy.
    It depends on how much of your data you want to back up. If all you're concerned with are the four core apps, then the act of synching to a PC or Mac will do the job; but it won't back up your third party apps, and in many cases, the data created within them. For instance, I had a module wipe out all of my Visor's memory, and while I could've restored all of my contacts, memos and appointments via HotSynch, I would've still lost all if the information I created in ListMaker and SuperMemo -- just to name two programs. Incidentally, the memory wipeout occured when I was at work, away from my own PC, and I need information from it immediately, not when I got home. Fortunately, I had the Backup Module with me.

That's the reason for Backup Buddy: to back up everything on your PalmOS device. That's the closest equivalent to the Backup Module. But I'm lazy, and only HotSynch once or twice a week, so any information I enter between those periods would be lost, with or without BB. I use the module at least once a day.

Springboard applications don't necessarily have to be sexy. They just have to be useful. For instance, the modem available for Palms tie up the serial connection, so you're not able to use a keyboard. With a Springboard modem, you can use both simultaneously. Memory modules like Flash and CF adapters are pretty useful as well. I don't have a burning need for any of the "dream" modules like the Geode or the MiniJam. The one exception is the CDMA version of the VisorPhone from AirPrime. A module like that is the reason I bought the Visor.

You only have to need one module for the Springboard slot to justify its existence. Then again, if you don't have a specific need for a module, then by all means, get a Palm. I'm even thinking about getting an m505, myself. But that doesn't mean we have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    i was thinking of the same thing. the backup module is great for security when you're not around your computer and your visor crashes. but few people know of the memory backup for palms that plugs into the serial connector on the bottom.

given that the only modules i have are the handspring modem and the backup module (both features are available with palms aswell) i'm looking at other factors that will influence my next PDA. Size and constructed material. I'd love to see Handspring come out with a thin, metal bodied visor with a springboard connector (and the connector doesn't have to have the module attach elegantly because the only time i have either the modem or backup in my visor is when i need it..and i don't mind an odd shaped PDA during the brief moments i am using the module).

until that time, i'm eyeing the new palms.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA
    Isn't James going to remove your title if you own a Palm ?!
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA
    Isn't James going to remove your title if you own a Palm ?!

i don't know, i was hanging out with a PalmVII for sometime without anybody knowing or doing anything about it....

(she was a beauty too!)
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    A closet Palm user? It's not as bad as some, I guess.
    -Joshua
    I'm going to leap to the defense of tje Visors and the Springport concept, for the simple reason that I actually own and use a lot of modules.

For my Prism, I've got the backup module; the eyemodule; an Innopak 2V; the Xircom Springport 56k modem; the Minstrel S (YadaYada); and I just got the Geode.

I'll be the first to admit that some are toys at best - the eyemodule is not terribly useful. Others are still a little too buggy - I love the Minstrel, but it's not very stable.

Others are essential, or at least cool - the backup module is indispensible, the Innopak for the extra memory and vibrating alarm (something no Palm can do to my knowledge), the Springport just as a modem (if memory serves, it's the only 56k modem for the Palm OS), and the Geode (because I have no natural sense of direction, and because it's just really cool). I also have and use a Stowaway - at the same time I use some of the other modules.

If I had a Palm, even the cool Vx, I wouldn't be able to have the same functionality. I could have the Minstrel I suppose - as a sled, which somewhat removes the formfactor advantage of the Vx. I could have a GPS, but I'd need a cable to use it. I could get a modem, but I couldn't use it at the same time as the stowaway.

As an aside, the form factor thing seems really exagerated to me. Sure the Palm Vx is smaller, but not so much that you can take it places you wouldn't take your Visor.

In short, if you are a gadget freak, and if you've got a couple of bucks to burn (I have no other real hobby, so I do), the springboard can't be beat. If you don't, buy the Palm VX - it's a great little device. It just can't do everything my Visor can.