Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are other discussions in this forum about Smartskey, but this was too important to let it pass. Smartskey has been updated to include Dpad support in the telephone application.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=41060

Smartskey was critical before (for the softkey support to open the start menu and close apps), but it is now essential. Once you open the telephone app (dial pad - left green phone button) you can then access call log one handed:

Dpad - Down - call log
    Dpad - Up - speed dial keys
    Dpad - Left - email
    Dpad - Right - contacts

Another great improvement - Right softkey is set to truly "Stop" apps, unlike usual WM5 "Hiding" of apps, and you can set up to 16 apps that are "hidden" rather than "closed" for faster access (eg - phone app, calendar, contacts, etc.)

I'm going to PayPal a donation right now, even thought the author only asks for a postcard from your home country with a unique stamp for his collection.

This program is more critical to the 8125 than VolumeCare was for us first Treo 650 users.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Nice! Thanks for posting! I agree...GREATLY improves 1-handed operation on my 8125.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Will you post the file? I hate signing up for forums and such when I am never going to frequent them.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Will you post the file? I hate signing up for forums and such when I am never going to frequent them.
    I'd like to, but the developer does this as a service to the PPC community, as freeware (not just shareware) so I'm supporting his request for signing up through xda-devlopers. I think you'll find the site pretty valuable for other utilities, registry hacks, etc.
    nice, ill install wed when i get my new 8125, gf dropped and f'd mine up...
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I tried it...
    I like it...

I trashed magic button as a result. That thing was killing my speed. Vbar is terrible too so don't suggest it please.

Now I need to get around to doing a custom rom. I only have 7MB of ram left Any suggestions anyone?
    Hi,

This is terrific news - but I have an embarassing question. How do I go about downloading this software from the link below?

David

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    There are other discussions in this forum about Smartskey, but this was too important to let it pass. Smartskey has been updated to include Dpad support in the telephone application.

Smartskey was critical before (for the softkey support to open the start menu and close apps), but it is now essential. Once you open the telephone app (dial pad - left green phone button) you can then access call log one handed:

Dpad - Down - call log
    Dpad - Up - speed dial keys
    Dpad - Left - email
    Dpad - Right - contacts

Another great improvement - Right softkey is set to truly "Stop" apps, unlike usual WM5 "Hiding" of apps, and you can set up to 16 apps that are "hidden" rather than "closed" for faster access (eg - phone app, calendar, contacts, etc.)

I'm going to PayPal a donation right now, even thought the author only asks for a postcard from your home country with a unique stamp for his collection.

This program is more critical to the 8125 than VolumeCare was for us first Treo 650 users.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    I tried it...
    I like it...

I trashed magic button as a result. That thing was killing my speed. Vbar is terrible too so don't suggest it please.

Now I need to get around to doing a custom rom. I only have 7MB of ram left Any suggestions anyone?
    i love vbar...and i keep all my apps on my MiniSD.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA
    Hi,

This is terrific news - but I have an embarassing question. How do I go about downloading this software from the link below?

David
    I see Noone bothered to answer you so if you havent figured it out yet, you have to register on the forums, then you can download the .zip file.
  10.    #10  
    Hi,

David
    Sorry I was offline this afternoon. You'll need to register - a little hassle but the value is really there. Then you can download the zip file.
    problem with this new version...whenever i get a call or text message, window pops up saying it cannot run smartskey...shows the path to where its located on my MiniSD. but its working, in the phone app and all, just that annoying pop up window
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    problem with this new version...whenever i get a call or text message, window pops up saying it cannot run smartskey...shows the path to where its located on my MiniSD. but its working, in the phone app and all, just that annoying pop up window
    Been using mine all day - dozen calls, or so, no text messages - but no problems. Did you shutdown and remove older version before installing the new one? V 1.52 installs its own shortcut in your startup folder, and it sounds like something's trying to invoke the shortcut. Might check that out. Also, don't hesitate to post at xda-developers; they look like they respond pretty quickly to problems over there.
    Sorry I was offline this afternoon. You'll need to register - a little hassle but the value is really there. Then you can download the zip file.
    Thanks - registered, found it, and downloaded it...

Appreciate the advice.
  14.    #14  
    DavidA

Glad you got it. It's the most critical piece of PDA software since Volumecare for the Treo 650. That's a bit of an unfair comparison, because without Volumecare, the early Treo 650's were nearly worthless, while smartskey makes the 8125 an extremely useful one-handed device.
    Been using mine all day - dozen calls, or so, no text messages - but no problems. Did you shutdown and remove older version before installing the new one? V 1.52 installs its own shortcut in your startup folder, and it sounds like something's trying to invoke the shortcut. Might check that out. Also, don't hesitate to post at xda-developers; they look like they respond pretty quickly to problems over there.
    yea i git rid of the old version and did a soft reset before installing this new one.

ill have my brand new 8125 tomm and ill try it on that one, this 8125 will be hard reset and sent off the the buyer(i got a scratch on the corner of the phone and it bothers me, so i sold it for the same price that i get a brand new one for)
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Thanks - registered, found it, and downloaded it...

Appreciate the advice.
    I registered and I still can't find it!!!! Sorry for my lack of ability, can someone hep me find it?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by RobeJazz
    I registered and I still can't find it!!!! Sorry for my lack of ability, can someone hep me find it?
    Try going directly to the following page - if you've successfully registered, all three versions should appear in a table in the first entry:

doesnt work well from minisd card, works great if on device
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    doesnt work well from minisd card, works great if on device
    Good point. I generally install all utilities to system RAM (whether WM5 or POS), just because of the lag in reading from cards, as well as safety if reset; generally more reliable startup.
    I must be stupid or something because I registered and still cannot find the link to download this Smartkey program!!!
    Any Help??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast