Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03...to_ship_april/

"To be fair to Motorola, it's entirely possible that it has held back pending the arrival of Microsoft's push email upgrade for Windows Mobile 5.0, the Q's operating system. However, the now promotional page on the Motorola website makes no reference to push email.

Motorola's pitch for the Q is that it will be the "thinnest, lightest" handset with an integrated QWERTY keypad. It measures 11.5 x 6.3 x 1.1cm, which is certainly thinner than the 2cm-thick Palm Treo 650 and the 1.8cm-thick RIM Blackberry 7780, though the Palm device's face is smaller. Unlike the Treo, the Q has no antenna stub.

The Q's display is a 2.4in, 320 x 240, 65,536-colour job, and the handset also incorporates a 1.3 megapixel digicam with a flash. There's a Mini SD slot for memory expansion, and Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. The keypad is backlit, and Motorola has built in speakerphone capability. "
    It was only announced like 6 months ago and was slated for an April release. Old news. And the MS push upgrade has been out for a while now us 6700 users got it a couple weeks ago.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Looks nice, but I wouldn't buy it.

No touch screen, and I scribble on mine (700w) quite a bit. Also used to run BlackBerry's and personaly don't like how the wheel works. It was simply quicker for me to tap stuff on screen, especially if it was sitting on a desk.
    Palm seems never to be in too big of a hurry to get something out the door. Maybe that is a good thing (and not that the treo competes straight across with the Q anyway.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I look at the Q as not an apples to apples comparison to something like a Treo 700w or Cingular 8125, but more of a compromise of several factors. It all depends on the price but I'm considering getting a Q and trying it out for in the mean time while I wait for the real deal (a 3G WM5 touchscreen PDA) most likely a Treo 700w. I don't expect it to do everything the Treo could do.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    It was only announced like 6 months ago and was slated for an April release. Old news. .
    First off a target date should not to be confused with a release date. I guess you are still expecting Wndows Vista before XMas too ?

And its not old news but a replacement for old, outdated and wrong news. Last I checked, April was not in the 1st quarter of 2006. It didn't make the original target date set in July (old news), it didn't "debut earlier than the original target date" as they announced in September (more old news) and its is being release din 2nd quarter (new news).

"Motorola announced the Q in July 2005, targeting a Q1 2006 launch date. In September 2005, company CEO Ed Zander hinted the device might debut early. That didn't happen, and the company's website indicates that the phone wouldn't be made available until April the original ship date won't happen either, at least not shipments to end-users."

And the MS push upgrade has been out for a while now us 6700 users got it a couple weeks ago.
    See in the bringing a product to market process, after all the hardware has been put together, and the software made available and loaded, they do final testing. After the testing of protypes, they have to actually build the units, load the software, do final edits of the manual, print them up, put all the stuff in boxes, shrink wrap them, train their employees in servicing, update their product catalogs, ship them overseas, get large shipments to distributors, get them out to local stores and carriers, train the carrier CSR's and a bunch of other tasks. Generally takes more than "a couple of weeks". It's a bit more involved than popping a zip file on a web site.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/29/2006 at 10:20 AM.
    Any smartphone with any variant of Windows.... meh.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    Any smartphone with any variant of Windows.... meh.
    Some day, you too my son will see the light...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Hahahaha, you obviously do not understand my hate for Windows, it will forever only remain on a PC for work and gaming purposes, you can let Microsoft control every aspect of your life, personally I'm not going out like that. Even 700 perfect clones of Lady Treo sitting around me in my living room would not sway me towards Windows.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
  11.    #11  
    JBoogie , you need a cap't picard avatar.

"Resistance is not futile"
    "The Borg will not assimilate me"
    The moto web page was updated to say coming soon instead of available april 2006.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    Hahahaha, you obviously do not understand my hate for Windows,...Even 700 perfect clones of Lady Treo sitting around me in my living room would not sway me towards Windows.
    Oh man....that is true hatred. I can't even IMAGINE the depth of such hatred. Captain Picard nothing, you are truly a man of Khan proportions; watch out Bill:

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

Here's your new avatar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dstrauss; 03/29/2006 at 04:21 PM.
    What provider would be getting the Q? Cingular? I am looking for a new phone.
    Verizon. They are shelling out big time to get all the hottest phones first.

Surur
    That's good because Verizon used to be the WORST in getting new phones. Now it's T-Mobile USA. Although they picked up with the MDA,SDA and PEBL.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The GSM folks are getting screwed! I want a decent WM5 GSM phone and cingular does not have it. I tried the 8125 but the form factor of it did not work for me. I may end up going back to an 8700c if Cingular does not launch a new WM5 phone soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    First off a target date should not to be confused with a release date. I guess you are still expecting Wndows Vista before XMas too ?

And its not old news but a replacement for old, outdated and wrong news. Last I checked, April was not in the 1st quarter of 2006. It didn't make the original target date set in July (old news), it didn't "debut earlier than the original target date" as they announced in September (more old news) and its is being release din 2nd quarter (new news).

"Motorola announced the Q in July 2005, targeting a Q1 2006 launch date. In September 2005, company CEO Ed Zander hinted the device might debut early. That didn't happen, and the company's website indicates that the phone wouldn't be made available until April the original ship date won't happen either, at least not shipments to end-users."

See in the bringing a product to market process, after all the hardware has been put together, and the software made available and loaded, they do final testing. After the testing of protypes, they have to actually build the units, load the software, do final edits of the manual, print them up, put all the stuff in boxes, shrink wrap them, train their employees in servicing, update their product catalogs, ship them overseas, get large shipments to distributors, get them out to local stores and carriers, train the carrier CSR's and a bunch of other tasks. Generally takes more than "a couple of weeks". It's a bit more involved than popping a zip file on a web site.
    Jack, you need to get out more...open those shades will ya!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    !Viva La Liberty! !Viva La Palm!

Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    !Viva La Liberty! !Viva La Palm!

You sound like William Wallace:

ROBERT THE BRUCE (Ed Colligan?): Now, I know you've sacrificed much. But fighting these odds looks like rage, not courage.

WILLIAM WALLACE (Dr. Doom?): It's well beyond rage. Help me. For Christ's sake, help yourselves. If we join, we can win. If we win, well then we'll have what none of us has ever had before: a country [POS] of our own.

Bill Gates does have a striking resemblance to Longshanks.
    Apologies to Mel Gibson.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 04/04/2006 at 11:17 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast