Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    The timing of the release of the Q might have something to do with this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...0SdrY&refer=us

I think both Palm and Motorola will benefit from this award.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart

I must be getting dense, but that article doesn't make any sense to me. Is the Census Bureau upgrading to MS Server 2003-2 in order to use mobile push email, or are they actually "ordering" WM5 mobile phones from M$oft? If it's the later, what phone are they talking about? How is this an order from M$oft in any event? It almost reads as if M$oft is licensing the phone software directly to the government for use in 2010.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I must be getting dense, but that article doesn't make any sense to me. Is the Census Bureau upgrading to MS Server 2003-2 in order to use mobile push email, or are they actually "ordering" WM5 mobile phones from M$oft? If it's the later, what phone are they talking about? How is this an order from M$oft in any event? It almost reads as if M$oft is licensing the phone software directly to the government for use in 2010.
    I agree, it is a little confusing. I think the Census Bureau is going to use MS Server software to push email to WM5 phones. Granted, WM5 phones MAY not be required to pick up the push mail, but I think the article is also saying they will standardize on several models of WM5 phones. And the 700W and the Moto Q will be included. I think this is one of the reasons that Palm adopted WM5 on one of its models (so far). It's all about expansion of their market by developing new models for new audiences. If they only get 100,000 phones of the 500,000, that's still a hell of a lot of phones.
    Granted, a 100,000 unit order woul dbe a good shot in the arm, particualrly if they get to sell direct. What's still confusing is that I thought the feds were standardizing on open source server solutions, so such a big committment to Exchange Server is news in itself. Still, the article read as if M$oft was licensing the actual WM5 software to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart

This follow-up on Engadet indicates the winner is HTC - a 500,000 unit order, of whatever version of HTC device they produce, is going to be monumental (will it delay HTC's production for others)?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...ne-deployment/
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Palm seems never to be in too big of a hurry to get something out the door. Maybe that is a good thing (and not that the treo competes straight across with the Q anyway.)
    Thank god they are not in hurry to get things out of the door. Check the problems delayed Treo650 caused and now imagine if Palm folks would hurry and get new Treos out faster. You are looking for one hell of a fun summer.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Why does HTC have no problem getting several quality products per year out the door? Yet, even when Palm releases something slowly there are still problems. Funny that HTC is Palm's manufacturer. But Palm is submitting the specs.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Why does HTC have no problem getting several quality products per year out the door? Yet, even when Palm releases something slowly there are still problems. Funny that HTC is Palm's manufacturer. But Palm is submitting the specs.
    That's a tough question. HTC did build the 650, yet my 2125 and 8125 have been rock solid by comparison, particularly signal strength and sound quality. Part of that I believe is OS (that's why you can have cell & WiFi in the Wizards; even get an add on card - puke - for 700w), but no WiFi for Frankengarnet. HTC is doing to Palm what Sony did a few years ago - all of the best features (including the first hi res color) came on Sony first - and they forced Palm to the high ground (let's say high-middle ground; Palm has yet to reach Sony's level of sophistication and quality for multi-media in its handhelds).

Maybe before Palm converts to another WM5 clone maker, they'll push something new and shiny out the door. Shoot - even my brother-in-laws RIMM 8700 looked new and slick compared to the Treo design - if that Samsung i320 ever sees the light of day, the Treo will become just another brick.
    I am just rambling here....but it also may come to who finances R&D, how extensive the beta testing is approved for, how much was contracted to pay for the actual manufacturing on a per unit basis, how big each window for each phase is contracted for, etc....

It huge part it may come to to Palm's commitment, support, and financing they are willing sign in their contracts with HTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am just rambling here....but it also may come to who finances R&D, how extensive the beta testing is approved for, how much was contracted to pay for the actual manufacturing on a per unit basis, how big each window for each phase is contracted for, etc....

It huge part it may come to to Palm's commitment, support, and financing they are willing sign in their contracts with HTC.
    That's an interesting insight - with HTC dropping WM5 devices in all directions, who's bankrolling all of that development (they're releasing 3-4 new phones for every one that Palm's not - wasn't the 650 a Novmeber 2004 release?)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That's an interesting insight - with HTC dropping WM5 devices in all directions, who's bankrolling all of that development

Themselves? They had $2.45 billion in revenue last year, and $392 million in profit. Compare this with Palm's full year fiscal 2005 results of $1.27 billion revenue and $66.4 million profit. Their share price increased a 1000 times between 2003 and now. I think they can fund their own R&D, no problem.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 04/17/2006 at 06:29 PM.
    How does a U.S. investor purchase their stock when it is not listed on one of our exchanges?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12