Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    CNN said today that Microsoft will be releasing their own phone and MP3 player by the end of the year. It does seem like Palm made a big mistake in partnering with them.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...3041/index.htm
    Partnering with M$oft is like partnering with the Black Widow, the short term enjoyment must be great, because you end up as lunch in the end.

UNLESS: M$oft is ready to buy Palm now (notice Balmer's comment about being a Windows Mobile being a negligible player in the market).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Do you have an iPod?

No, I do not. Nor do my children. My children--in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other children, but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod.
    Haha I am reading it in my head with a Bond villain's voice.

Is MS really going to make themselves? Maybe it's an initiative like the UMPC platform. I am all for it if it can make Apple get off its **** to make a real iPhone.
    Last edited by whatever7; 03/28/2006 at 04:33 PM.
    Think you can you crack the iPod market?

It's going to take an innovative proposition. In five years are people really going to carry two devices? One device that is their communication device, one device that is music? There's going to be a lot of opportunities to get back in that game. We want to be in that game. Expect to see announcements from us in that area in the next 12 months. Top of page
    Heh...you know this is the same kind of arguement made a couple years ago by Handspring execs when they were shifting focus from the Visor to the Treo. At that time, it was understood that the separate pda and phone would converge into a smartphone. Now the arguement is that a smartphone will converge with mp3 player. The problem is that this has always been possible since day one, but the limitation has always been capacity. But with 4GB sd card approaching $100 USD now, a Treo can be a iPod nano equivalent very easily....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Heh...you know this is the same kind of arguement made a couple years ago by Handspring execs when they were shifting focus from the Visor to the Treo. At that time, it was understood that the separate pda and phone would converge into a smartphone. Now the arguement is that a smartphone will converge with mp3 player. The problem is that this has always been possible since day one, but the limitation has always been capacity. But with 4GB sd card approaching $100 USD now, a Treo can be a iPod nano equivalent very easily....
    I hate to argue in a thread here at TreoCentral in which I am actually being praised (well not really, but I'll take what I can get - what part was I right about anyway, I don't actually recall saying Microsoft was going to release a phone); gfunkmagic, specs are one thing, but Microsoft (and Palm) need to realize the reason the iPod is so popular is because of the combination of hardware and software interfaces. Apple has had this market cornered since day one. No one can touch them.

Now, what Apple is up against with a phone is how to make the PHONE interface better. The phone has been around for about a century. It has had a great deal of time for maturation. The success of a phone from Apple will depend on the interface; it will not matter who carries the phone (if anyone) or how expensive it is or whether or not it will take 4GB SD cards (I remember arguing with you gfunk about whether phones would use hard drives of flash memory in the future - looks like I was right )
    I do not think it is capacity as much as it is battery life.
    Apple has the most advanced power management technologies on the market. They should fare very well.

As far as possible carriers for an Apple phone go, I should remind those who believe this to be a requirement to enter the phone market that EarthLink and SK Telecom have partnered to form a US mobile virtual network called Helio. It is due for launch in about a month - give or take a week.

I guarantee Helio will give current carriers a good wake up call.
    Quote:
    Do you have an iPod?

No, I do not. Nor do my children. My children--in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other children, but at least on this dimension I've got my kids brainwashed: You don't use Google, and you don't use an iPod.

Is it just me, or does the condescending comment that his kids "in many dimensions they're as poorly behaved as many other children" but that his whipping them in to shape to NOT use a Nano or Google is good? WOnder if drugs and alcohol have as high a profile.

Makes you really wonder what side of 1984 Balmer is on.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I think his kids answer should be "Dad if your company made better products then we wouldn't want/need to"