Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wanted to get some thoughts from the folks at TreoCentral, because I can't believe I'm the only one with these questions/problems. I've been using the Treo since the Treo 270, but recently got the Cingular 8125 (don't ask more of a corporate thing I'm doing some testing for). I was willing to give it a shot (especially with SlingBox Mobile coming out for it) but I'm really frustrated with it. I've downloaded a few utility's to help make it more "one handed" friendly such as SmartsKey, but it's still not quite there. I find it impossible to navigate, miss my favorites screen and I'm also REALLY struggling with the phone app, is there anyway to lock the screen like on the Treo. I'm constantly hanging up on people, putting them on mute etc. Essentially anything you guys are using to help ease your transition (I'm assuming most of you are former Treo users since you are on this site) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Probably not want you want to hear....but I did the same thing with my company and returned the phone last week because of the lack of one handed functionality. I am going to wait for the WM5 GSM version of the Treo or maybe the Motorola Q.
    I prefer Vbar to close programs, teamed with Smartskey, i have no problem navigating one handed. i have all shortcuts i want on my today screen using the Resco Today Plug-In, and the apps i use most are in my start menu, hold down the left hardkey(calendar) pops open my start menus, i scroll down to the program and bam.

i loved verichat on my treo, and im not missing it cuz there is now a verichat for wm5 and its almost exactly like it was on treo. file transfers...etc etc.

i dont have a problem hanging up on people, havnet done it yet, and ive gotten used to just hitting the green call button to go into the phone app, in most cases who i calling is in the call log, so i hit that and scroll to it and there u go.

if calling someone from contact list, from today screen i just hit the contacts button, hold down to scroll, it will eventually bring up just the letter do u can skip right to the beginning letter of the name u want. hit center button, you hvae option to text if a mobile number or call it. pretty easy. voice command works great too.

for SMS/Email i just use the key with the envelope on it, press left or right to toggle between SMS, MMS, and my POP3 gmail. in most cases with SMS there is a sms there from the person i will be texting so i go to it and reply. if at today screen and i get a SMS, the notification pops up and stays there til you click it, gives you the option to reply, delete, mark as read, right from the today screen so u dont always have to go into SMS if your not replying.

ive transitioned very easily and im very efficient using the 8125 now. very familiar with the wm5 and have no problems with one handed use. i cant go back to Palm. im lovin the 8125 too much. loving the stablility of Outlook POP2 over Versamail, activesync over hotsync. and not a single random reset in the 3-4 weeks ive had the 8125.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    one handed use is the only thing I miss about the Treo (I was a user for nearly three years - 600 and 650). There was a learning curve, but after three weeks, I absolutely love it. For the record, I've tried several of the more popular utilities (not smartskey yet) and found them to use more system resource than their aparent benefit was worth. Right now the only third party app I have installed is Express. I became very dependant on that service with the Treo and have more than half my annual subscription left - so I put it on the 8125. it's a huge storage hog (can't run channels from the card), but the service is too valuable to me. Good luck with the transition!
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    launching all the programs you need one handed from the today screen can be done very easy with Resco Today Plug in, i reccmend downloading a trial if you can, if not i can helo you out getting it, dont ask any questions how

attatched is a screenshot of my today screen, showing how o scrolled down with the 5 way navigation to verichat, very easy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I have some thoughts as a month-long MDA and former Treo user. I also started with the 270. It was my first Palm product and although I tried the 600, the 270 wound up being my only Palm device because I didn't have the patience to deal with multiple problems I had with three 600s I tried. BTW, part of what bumbed me about the 600 is that I had liked the 270 keyboard design and jog wheel very much -I know they got sued by RIM and had to give those up (rather than licensing them). But the inferior keyboard and the loss of the wheel interfered with me accepting the 600.

I then used the 7100t for a year and found a device that was even more one-handable than the Treo, super stable/reliable, and smaller and lighter than any other phone PDA out there. Now with the MDA, I find that what I appreciate the most is the more sophisticated OS and the bundled applications, along with other bells and whistles. But, I was so comfortable with the simplicity and form factor of the 7100t, that I now find the MDA to be a little too much of a device for me and I may need to reconsider this myself. But in my case, it's not because of any dissatisfaction with any function of the device. It's just that -again- missing the simplicity of the 7100 (maybe it's that wheel again??) is interfering with me gaining traction with the MDA.

I think the main problem for many of us is trying to learn a new device and not having the patience to get familiar with it. Maybe the "OTHER handheld" label says it all. This is especially true if you don't have to change or you'd rather not and I find that most of my Palm devotee friends and colleagues would rather not. BTW, in my circles, BB devotees are even less intersted in change, less patient with "other handhelds". Frankly, as a reader here, I always take note when someone is just "having to do some testing" because I don't expect such experiences to ever prove successful or satisfying. It's hard enough to "change teams" when there is a high level of interest and commitment.

I don't know whether you can lock the screen on the Wizards, but in my case, I really need/want to be able to use the screen; being able to go to any application while I'm on the phone is a great feature of this OS and these devices. I tried simulating hanging up or muting accidentally just to learn and avoid doing it, but I find that I really have to work at it by targeting the small screen buttons with my finger. But I have a beard, so maybe that cushions any screen contact. So, if you're a man, you may want to consider this. Otherwise , I would just go back to some other screen, such as the Today screen, in which case the worse that would happen to you is that you'd go to one of your appointments or tasks. I've remapped some of my hardware buttons, and I don't recall what the original assignments were. Might you be hitting a button that affects your calls? I've gotten used to using Voice tags for virtually all my dialing and using Bluetooth or the the speaker to talk, so I don't tend to need the screen for phone functions.

Good luck regardless of what you go or stay with.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I also tried the Cingular 8125/wizard and was awed by its small form factor, but it came to one handed use for me that I chose to send it back. I was using voice tags and my blue tooth headset, so phone dialing wasn’t an issue, but when it came down to using applications, I found my self needing to hands, this is not the case with my 650. But if you stick with the 8125 and you like the palm apps, I would recommend Style Tap; it works wonderful on the 8125. I'm looking forward to when the Nokia E62/E62 or the Treo 700p is available.

PS. I do miss the wifi...
    Last edited by t3abags; 03/25/2006 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    I prefer Vbar to close programs, teamed with Smartskey, i have no problem navigating one handed. i have all shortcuts i want on my today screen using the Resco Today Plug-In, and the apps i use most are in my start menu, hold down the left hardkey(calendar) pops open my start menus, i scroll down to the program and bam.
    Magic Button is a little slow and slightly unresponsive. Is Vbar faster and more responsive?

Now that I've used both, Magic Button is better IMO.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/28/2006 at 06:26 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    yes. vbar is way more responsive and its tiny as far as memory is concerned. only app it won't close for whatever reason is the phone app. once u get/make a call the phone app stays active in the back and it will appear on the vbar list of active programs. just won't close it but it doesn't slow anything down anyway
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I tried the WM5 thing with the 6700 for 5 months. This after using the the Treo 600 and Treo 650 for the last few years. I was looking forward to the WiFi and EVDO speeds and really the only reason I thought I would even be able to make the switch was because of the keyboard on the 6700. I use my phone pretty much 24/7 so functionality is a big, big issue. I tried the 6700 for five months straight. I tweaked the registry as much as possible. I used all sorts of add on programs. Added Voice Dial. No matter what I did it was just not as practical as the Treo.

Besides the functionality issue, I had major issues with Active Sync. Sometimes I could sync, sometimes not. Never seemed to be a good reason for it. Then one day it stopped altogether. I followed all the threads and advice, here, over at ppcForums, PPC users and any other place I could find. That was the last straw for me.

I've been back with the Treo 650 for a week now. Got a brand new one(not refurbed) through Lockline because of the Loss of my old 650. I forgot just how functional the 650 is period, let alone one-handed use. I've got it all jacked up with my favorite programs. No resets. No stylus needed.

And don't think I'm one of those idiots who thinks that only Palm is good, or only WM is good. I go with what gets the job done, just like my politics but let's not go there.

Good luck with the 8125 if that's what you find fits your needs. After all that's what it comes down to, personal needs. If not we'd all have the same phone.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    After downloading SmartsKey, my one-handed use of the device is EXTREMELY simple. I haven't come by here much cuz I've been busy absorbing knowledge over at xda-developers.com and howardforums.com.

www.xda-developers.com has been especially educating, I feel it's kind of like TC on steroids for my Wizard, there is so much emphasis on each specific device. There is a TON of knowledgeable people on their that can make your device do practically anything.

If you want to make the transition to the 8125 and don't mind putting in a few days of research, you won't be let down. You'll be able to shape the PPC to your specific needs.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    After downloading SmartsKey, my one-handed use of the device is EXTREMELY simple. I haven't come by here much cuz I've been busy absorbing knowledge over at xda-developers.com and howardforums.com.

www.xda-developers.com has been especially educating, I feel it's kind of like TC on steroids for my Wizard, there is so much emphasis on each specific device. There is a TON of knowledgeable people on their that can make your device do practically anything.

If you want to make the transition to the 8125 and don't mind putting in a few days of research, you won't be let down. You'll be able to shape the PPC to your specific needs.
    I do like xda-developers very much. One thing that bugs me and I've meant to ask about is their search feature. I find that when I go to a thread from my result listing, the back button won't take me back to the search results. What's up with that, please? Maybe you can tell me if it's just a limitation or whether I need to learn how it works there. Thanks.

I love this game!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I made the switch this past Saturday and I am pleased so far. I agree w/ most of the opinions that have already been shared but would like to add that the outlook intergration beats the palm desktop hands down. Palm always got the job done but w/ WM5 there's no set up of email accts on the phone like versamail. Activesync does everything for you.

The WiFi is priceless, stereo sound is a nice touch, camera flash as well. These are all features that were selling points for me.

Although it's not a fair comparing the 650 vs the 8125 because there is hardware differences as well OS and software but I loved my Treo but the 8125 I think is an upgrade not just a replacement.
    I have also had a great experience with the 8125 (I got mine this Saturday too and in Nj, lol!) I love the activesync over the hotsync and the wifi. I'm not exactly sure I would call that light by the camera a flash per se, but its okay. I agree that the 8125 is more of an upgrade!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    I had actually gotten over the dial pad thing using the voice tags but when I had enter in numbers to navigate phone menus I was screwed. Opening up the keypad driving down the road dos not work and fingers are too big to acuratly press the small virtual keys. If thee was a program ot expand the size of the keypad to maybe the size of the Treo I would have kept.
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    II'm not exactly sure I would call that light by the camera a flash per se, but its okay. I agree that the 8125 is more of an upgrade!
    Hey at least they tried! LOL... U right the phone is an upgrade, I'm discovering little HUGGGGEEEEE features everyday. I was never a big outlook user so there have a few discoveries there for me. One example is setting up a calendar entry and add contacts to that entry which will auto send an email/invo to the contact. Sweet IMO. Maybe not a big deal for others but I couldn't do that w/ the treo. Today I jumped on my wireless network at work and used terminal services to remote into a few servers. HHHHUUUUGGGGGEEEE feature for me. Some might ask why and all I can say is "because I can".

I'm still playing w/ the voice commands so don't know too much but I have found them useful.

I wonder what I'll discover tomorrow???
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I had actually gotten over the dial pad thing using the voice tags but when I had enter in numbers to navigate phone menus I was screwed. Opening up the keypad driving down the road dos not work and fingers are too big to acuratly press the small virtual keys. If thee was a program ot expand the size of the keypad to maybe the size of the Treo I would have kept.
    i did come accross a program for wm5 that does just that...ill post it up if i can find it again..
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    All that needs to be done is to replace the standard on screen keypad with the one the E-Ten 600 uses. The keys are bigger and it's also more aesthetically pleasing. The file is floating around at www.howardforums.com and at www.xda-developers.com

Specifically here:

http://buzzdev.net/components/com_si...ialer_Skin.cab

And here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...00+dialer+skin
    Last edited by jlczl; 03/29/2006 at 09:08 PM.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Although it's expensive, MS Voice Command fills the gap pretty well where you can just tell the phone to "Dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" rather than tapping the screen.

I've been amazed at how versatile VC is, and how well it recognizes my contacts and opens software. If you run the trial, you'll go back with CC in hand for the registered version.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    All that needs to be done is to replace the standard on screen keypad with the one the E-Ten 600 uses. The keys are bigger and it's also more aesthetically pleasing. The file is floating around at www.howardforums.com and at www.xda-developers.com
    jlczl - you have a PM
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast