Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I went from a 650 to a Qtek 9100 and back to a 650. I applied all the known tweaks to the Qtek and had it humming about as fast as it will go.

The main considerations for going back to the 650 in order of priority were: (1) one handed use, especially the ease of use in the 650's phone application, and not having to use a stylus as much. (2) Faster opening and closing of programs on the 650. (3) Better use of screen real estate -- WM has way too much screen space dedicated to scroll bars and borders. Even though the Treo has a smaller screen size, I found it has more usable screen space. (4) The keyboard on the 650 is always available -- it got frustrating always having to slide the Qtek's keyboard out to use it.

Things I miss about the Qtek: (1) Way better browsing experience with Pocket IE and Netfront; (2) Better handling of PDFs; (3) The ability to hack and tweak the WM 5 system (although I must say I haven't tried yet to cobble together a custom ROM for my 650).

Bill
    After 2+ years with a Treo 600 (and a 180 and a Visorphone going back years before that), I switched to a T-Mo MDA two weeks ago. There were several rough days at the beginning adjusting to the vicissitudes of WM5, and I am still learning new things as I go, but overall, it has been fairly painless and I don't find myself missing the Treo or POS. Probably the single biggest negative is waiting 2 minutes or so for the device to boot on power-on. I do miss the instant-on Palm. On the other hand, once on, the phone is on and connected too. No more waiting for the radio to find T-MO. The biggest headache was that it took me a week to figure out that, when cradled and connected to ActiveSync, you lose your GPRS connection. Since I follow this and other boards pretty closely, I probably should have realized much sooner that this is a MS ActiveSync "feature" and not a bug or problem, but I didn't and it took me days to understand why I couldn't get Seven to register with the network as I set at my desk.

Other performance issues are pretty minor. It sometimes takes a moment or two for apps to open, but once they do, they are snappy enough for my purposes. As for those apps, 90% of what I used on the Treo is available in a WM5 version, and I have easily found WM5 counterparts for about everything that isn't. As others have noted, Smartskey is nice for improving one-handedness. Vbar trashed my system and almost necessitated a hard restart. YMMV, but it didn't stay long on my phone. On the other hand, I have found SKTools absolutely invaluable, and SPB Pocket Plus and SPB Backup nice additions as well.

Phone functions work well, WiFi and Bluetooth are a revelation after all these years, and wuality is a major plus. No more wondering whether I should crack open the shell to wrap the battery line in a chewing gum aluminum foil wrapper to reduce the buzz. Those of you hear since the beginning know what I'm talking about. Certainly not perfect, but close enough for government work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jip88
    After 2+ years with a Treo 600 (and a 180 and a Visorphone going back years before that), I switched to a T-Mo MDA two weeks ago. There were several rough days at the beginning adjusting to the vicissitudes of WM5, and I am still learning new things as I go, but overall, it has been fairly painless and I don't find myself missing the Treo or POS. Probably the single biggest negative is waiting 2 minutes or so for the device to boot on power-on. I do miss the instant-on Palm. On the other hand, once on, the phone is on and connected too. No more waiting for the radio to find T-MO. The biggest headache was that it took me a week to figure out that, when cradled and connected to ActiveSync, you lose your GPRS connection. Since I follow this and other boards pretty closely, I probably should have realized much sooner that this is a MS ActiveSync "feature" and not a bug or problem, but I didn't and it took me days to understand why I couldn't get Seven to register with the network as I set at my desk.

Other performance issues are pretty minor. It sometimes takes a moment or two for apps to open, but once they do, they are snappy enough for my purposes. As for those apps, 90% of what I used on the Treo is available in a WM5 version, and I have easily found WM5 counterparts for about everything that isn't. As others have noted, Smartskey is nice for improving one-handedness. Vbar trashed my system and almost necessitated a hard restart. YMMV, but it didn't stay long on my phone. On the other hand, I have found SKTools absolutely invaluable, and SPB Pocket Plus and SPB Backup nice additions as well.

Phone functions work well, WiFi and Bluetooth are a revelation after all these years, and wuality is a major plus. No more wondering whether I should crack open the shell to wrap the battery line in a chewing gum aluminum foil wrapper to reduce the buzz. Those of you hear since the beginning know what I'm talking about. Certainly not perfect, but close enough for government work.
    what was your problem with vbar? I've been using for weeks on the 8125 no problems
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Biggest problem was that ActiveSync would not connect. AS worked fine before I loaded Vbar, and again once I scrubbed it from the system, but while Vbar was loaded, AS hung at "Connecting . . ." Maybe there's a way to work it out, but it's not worth my time to figure out, especially as I have othre apps that prpovide more or less the same functionality. Vbar also seemed to interfere with the boot process, hanging it completely once. A second soft restart got me going again, albeit after a significantly longer delay than usual, which had me thinking, as noted in my last post, about a hard restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    what was your problem with vbar? I've been using for weeks on the 8125 no problems

It is slower than Magic Button for me. But then I'm only using it on my 32MB RAM device as of now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I haven't had any of those problems with vbar. it works better than magic button on my device. ill start to pay more attention to it now tho.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    jlczl - you have a PM
    Ignore first PM I responed with. Go straight to the second.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I haven't had any of those problems with vbar. it works better than magic button on my device. ill start to pay more attention to it now tho.

Maybe it needs 64 MB RAM? I'm going to put it on my faster device and see what happens. But it is slower than Magic on the 32 MB.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i did come accross a program for wm5 that does just that...ill post it up if i can find it again..

Any luck on locating this program? I would be interested - Not sure why they made the buttons so small.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Ignore first PM I responed with. Go straight to the second.
    Thanks. Got it, now need a little time this weekend to tinker with it.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Check out my posts from yesterday. I posted links to what you're looking for.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Has anyone tried running any GPS on the 8125?

Also, I've copied some videos over to the MiniSD card and the footage was very choppie. This is footage that I viewed on the 650 w/ out any problems. Anyone else have any opinions on videos on the 8125?
    LG VX6000\Moto V600\Siemens SL55\Treo 650 (RIP)\Cingular 8125
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Treo H
    Has anyone tried running any GPS on the 8125?

Also, I've copied some videos over to the MiniSD card and the footage was very choppie. This is footage that I viewed on the 650 w/ out any problems. Anyone else have any opinions on videos on the 8125?
    havent done that yet, what format vid are you watching?
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Can you make a call and send e-mail at the same time with the 8125? I know you cannot with the Treo and an 8700 BB holds the mail for sending until your call is done. I seem to remember when I had my 8125 that I could talk and actually transmit the e-mail at the same time. Or, does the 8125 work like the 8700 and wait to send the e-mail when the call is over?
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    Can you make a call and send e-mail at the same time with the 8125? I know you cannot with the Treo and an 8700 BB holds the mail for sending until your call is done. I seem to remember when I had my 8125 that I could talk and actually transmit the e-mail at the same time. Or, does the 8125 work like the 8700 and wait to send the e-mail when the call is over?

Anyone?!
    you cant use EDGE(which Pocket Outlook uses to email) and Voice at same time. it will send after the call
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Only if using WiFi and voice. EDGE (GSM) does not support simultaneous data/voice. However, it will stop a data session to deliver your call, then bring you back to where you were in the data session. Sprint (CDMA) always routed voice calls to VM while in a data session.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    That is only true of 1xRTT. With EVDO it will stop the call and patch you through. I am unsure if you can do this with GSM, but on my PPC-6700 you can send and recieve text while talking.
    havent done that yet, what format vid are you watching?

they're just wmv files. i will try another format but i even tried playing the files in TCPMP and it was choppie

has anyone else tried viewing video?
    LG VX6000\Moto V600\Siemens SL55\Treo 650 (RIP)\Cingular 8125
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Check out my posts from yesterday. I posted links to what you're looking for.
    Sorry bout that! I missed it first time around. Thanks for the post! Really like the bigger buttons on the dialer.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12