Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From Smarthouse:

.................................................................................................... ..
    iPod Phone Confirmed

David Richards - Tuesday, 21 March 2006

Insiders at Taiwanese phone maker BenQ say that Apple procurement executives have been talking to various Taiwanese phone makers during the past few months in an effort to cut a manufacturing deal on an iPod Phone

They say that Apple will launch an iPod with phone functions within the next few months. "An iPod phone is definitely coming. BenQ will not be making it as we are in competition with Apple however several of our suppliers have been approached to manufacture parts. Among manufacturers in Taiwan it is common knowledge. The issue for many is the availabilty of parts if the phone takes off" said the BenQ executive.

Taiwanese electronics manufacturer Hon Hai Precision to tipped build the device, says Johnny Chan, a J.P. Morgan analyst based in Hong Kong. "Apple still hasn't decided whether to give the contract for what's being referred to as an 'iPhone' to Hon Hai or to another manufacturer, says Ellen Tseng, a Morgan Stanley analyst in Taipei. One analyst in Taipei who declined to be identified said Taiwan Green Point Enterprises, which makes plastic cases for the iPod, is in talks with Apple for a role in the phone."

Bill Shope of J.P Morgan believes Apple will introduce the phone by the fourth quarter of this year. Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster told clients last week that he estimates there to be a 75% chance that we'll seen an iPhone in the next 12 months.

Analysts believe that if Apple does come out with a music-playing cell phone, it will likely have the biggest impact on Motorola, the leading cell phone maker in the U.S. "Even a modest showing for an Apple multimedia cellphone could put a dent in Motorola's profits," Barron's says. "If Apple were to grab just 1% of the 900 million phones expected to be sold world

..................................................................................................

So, will it be a smartphone, or just an iPod/cell phone?

And how can they get the carriers to cooperate?

And will they pull the same stunt they first did with the iPod, and make it Mac only?

Stay tune for these and other answers....................

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/iPods_A...iPods/W5C2N2D7
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Well that's what competitor BenQ saying

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/iPods_A...iPods/W5C2N2D7

"Insiders at Taiwanese phone maker BenQ say that Apple procurement executives have been talking to various Taiwanese phone makers during the past few months in an effort to cut a manufacturing deal on an iPod Phone

They say that Apple will launch an iPod with phone functions within the next few months. "An iPod phone is definitely coming. BenQ will not be making it as we are in competition with Apple however several of our suppliers have been approached to manufacture parts. Among manufacturers in Taiwan it is common knowledge. The issue for many is the availabilty of parts if the phone takes off" said the BenQ executive. "
    Think of this sports fans, what happens to the market if...

It is an UNLOCKED GSM world phone...

Unbranded to ANY carrier...

Has the same 4gb as the Nano...

OLED low power/high res screen...

Same simple calendar etc. as Nano...

Can you spell HEARTBURN for all those other manufacturers aiming at the under 25 crowd? Even Palm would tremble.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    It would suck though if it only synced with a Mac (and IMHO it would be the kiss of death).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm betting it will sync with PC just like iPod
    we already have phones with itunes, whats the diff? add 40 gigs and you got your iphone
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Difference is it says it says "Apple" on it.....be the "must have" phone for the 14 - 25 crowd.
    A iPhone with an iPod connector and a iPod click wheel makes a huge different.

Almost good enough for me to switch. Actually I might if it comes with a SD slot.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If they put a hard drive in my PPC phone and the iTunes interface I would be very happy..One device that does everything I wantp, and does it well.

They just have to make it so that hard drive can be ONLY for music, or at least so that I could turn it off so as not to ruin battery life on my phone. Maybe just a little software switch that would allow me to access the drive when I want to, but let the PPC operate normally, without the hard drive in use.
    You people are idiots.

It isn't about phones with iTunes. It isn't about 40GB super deluxe terodactyl drives. It isn't about marketing to the young and cool generation. It isn't about including the features that everybody "thinks" they want (like an SD card slot).

Apple will not be selling ANY product with an SD slot. They won't be designing their products to have the greatest number of features. They won't be designing their products with the cool kids in mind.

What they will be designing are products that differentiate themselves in their ease of use. Products that have "appropriate" features that work to provide a solution - not features that are looking for a solution. They are exactly opposite of Palm and Microsoft.

Sure, big firms cooperate with other big firms all the time, like the Microsoft and Palm collaboration for the release of the Treo 700w. They borrow each other’s technology to advance themselves in the market place. In the Apple/Motorola deal, Apple does slightly dilutes its iTunes/iPod product lineup, but in turn Motorola is stuck with being the guinea pig for a destined-to-fail product and paying the R&D bills for it.

Steve Jobs never intended for that Motorola ROKR phone to succeed. In his keynote he even pointed out how the phone was supposed to resume music playback after a phone call’s conclusion, but then accidentally pressed the wrong button. Did you see that presentation and his facial expression, as if to say, “What the hell... how am I supposed to figure this out. Bah! I can do better than this.” That was golden.

If Apple actually cared anything about the ROKR, they would not have upstaged it with two superior products in that very same press event. And they would never have allowed each and every detail about the product to leak over the course of the year before the release. This was not Apple's marketing style. They simply used their leaky partnership with Motorola to gauge the market to learn what would REALLY work and sell.

Apple knows that Palm and Windows Mobile falls short.

Did you know that the iPod’s sales outperform all "smartphones" combined. But, then look at the total number of "cell phones" that get sold each year...
    ..........give Apple the tiniest slice of those numbers. Yeah, they will definitely make money. An amount that will undoubtedly rival iPod sales.

This thread is like talking about your sudden realization that oxygen has been a real life saver for you. Here are a few recent events that lend credence to Apple eventually selling a phone.

Sep. 12, 2005
    "We question Apple's motive to partner with Motorola," wrote Mike Walkley, the senior wireless technologies analyst at Piper Jaffray & Co. in Minneapolis, in a note to clients last month. "If the long-term threat to iPods is a cell phone/MP3 player combo, Apple should make its own iPhone, turning the threat into an opportunity."

Sep. 29, 2005
    Mike Ricciuti from CNET News says, "Motorola CEO Ed Zander on Thursday downplayed disparaging remarks he made last week about Apple Computer's newest music player and predicted that the Mac maker will build its own cell phone." Ricciuti continues quoting Ed Zander saying that, "He also added fuel to persistent speculation about Apple's interest in producing its own phone. 'And we know that they are going to build a smart phone--it's only a matter of time.'"

Dec. 15, 2005
    Morgan Stanley Rebecca Runkle predicts Apple will have an 'iPhone' in 2006 to fend off competition from telephone equipment makers that are adding digital music players. She also says, "An iPhone could generate $1.2 billion in sales and add 9 cents a share to 2006 in earnings".

Jan. 5, 2006
    Apple Computer made four separate filings on the term "Mobile Me", covering a broad range of technologies and services." The first filing describes Mobile Me as a computing device, the second filing covers the digital audio space, the third filing relates Mobile Me to a consumer electronics portable device, and the fourth covers Mobile Me as telecommunication services.?
    Mar. 3, 2006
    Reuters reports that Kirk Yang, a managing director and technology analyst at Citigroup's Asia Pacific operations, predicts Apple will likely come out with an iPod that can double as a cellphone later this year to counter the music phone offensive. Yang goes on to say that, "the iPod with phone functionality is going to be a category killer".

Feb. 2, 2006
    UBS research analysts told investors not to rule out an Apple-branded cell phone later this year.

Feb. 17, 2006
    Apple files for the trademark "Aloha" representing portable digital electronic devices and software related thereto.

Mar. 17, 2006
    PiperJaffray believes Apple will benefit from the new Intel-based Mac's, along with what they estimate to be a 75 percent chance of a iPhone in the next 12 months.

Mar. 19, 2006
    J.P. Morgan analyst Johnny Chan reports that Apple Computer is working on "an iPod with phone functions" and is shopping around for a electronics manufacturer. Meanwhile, Taiwan Green Point Enterprises, the current manufacturer for the iPod plastic cases is also said to be in talks with Apple about the phone. Chan's colleague in New York, Bill Shope says, "The chatter about the product is all over the food chain." Shope believes Apple will likely introduce a cellphone by the fourth quarter of this year.

Mar. 22, 2006
    Morgan Stanley analyst, Ellen Tseng, says "Apple still hasn’t decided whether to give the contract for what’s being referred to as an ‘iPhone’ to Hon Hai or to another manufacturer." One analyst in Taipei who declined to be identified said Taiwan Green Point Enterprises, which makes plastic cases for the iPod, is in talks with Apple for a role in the phone.”

Mar 22. 2006
    The Register's Tony Smith reports that "Taiwan's BenQ believes Apple will indeed offer a mobile phone product. One company executive this week said the 'iPhone' is 'definitely coming,' claiming the iPod maker has been talking to Taiwanese component manufacturers, some of whom also supply BenQ's handset operation."

Mar. 23, 2006
    Apple filed patent application number DE69333762T. There’s no means of reviewing this patent’s specifics because all the links are inactive. It is, however, of a classification that relates to speech recognition and to some unknown degree, it also covers telephonic communications.

Mar. 23, 2006
    The European Patent Office reveals that Apple Computer filed for a patent titled "Database Programs for Handheld Devices". The application points out that "the remote handheld device can, for example, be a wireless phone which uses a telecom server to communicate with the database program."

The patent application also details methods for accessing remote databases and hyperlinking to relevant data such as phone numbers, addresses, URLs and maps to perform tasks conveniently - tasks like dialing.

Look at some of the patent images here (keeping in mind these are patent drawings to illustrate concepts and not the actual look of the device's interface).

So you see, Apple is all about the user experience - designing products that make it easy for us to do the things that we need to do.

You can also look back over the last 2 years in the Treo + Mac forum and you will see additional technolgical evidence that I have previously posted on this very subject.

The exact form this phone device will take is something yet to be seen, but I say we will probably see something like a change in the form-factor of the iPod Shuffle. It will probably become a supporting device that will eventually plug into an Apple phone device. The phone will recognize it and know how to interact with it and access it's contents. You will be able to use the unique features of the two products together. Features like the Shuffles headphones for listening can of course be used while taking a call without holding the phone to your head. Then of course, if you temporarily wanted to visually see the Shuffle's contents on a screen to change around a playlist or something while on the road, you could just plug it into your phone.

You can count on Apple selling more products that rely on the iPod in the future. Just as I had talked about here on TreoCentral 2 years ago when no one believed me. The iPod Hi-Fi is one such example, supporting and integrating with the iPod.
    Last edited by archie; 03/24/2006 at 03:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Well, it appears you may be the *****, though I won't be so rude as to call you one. You may even be a nice person...you obviously like to share...ALOT.

Nobody said anything counter to your diatribe. I think everyone is just talking about a possible new device that there is interest in. I mentioned features I wish I had on mine. I am glad you got all that off of your chest, though I doubt anyone is going to want to read through all of your...information.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    You people are idiots.
    Everyone has a weak spot. Everyone.
    What they will be designing are products that differentiate themselves in their ease of use. Products that have "appropriate" features that work to provide a solution - not features that are looking for a solution. They are exactly opposite of Palm and Microsoft.
    While I'm pretty certain you're one of those willing to drink the Apple kool-aid, this paragraph describes exactly why Apple can take a mundane device like an MP3 player, enter the market years after they were first available, and drub the competition into the dust. No one else does this as well on such a scale.

As for the rest of your post - try something a little less mind controlling than the kool-aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Well, it appears you may be the *****, though I won't be so rude as to call you one.
    You just did. Thanks "ALOT"...
    You may even be a nice person...you obviously like to share...ALOT.
    On a side note, you hadn't actually posted yet when I read through the thread and then decided to respond. But since you think I like to share "ALOT", I've decided to throw you into the ***** bin as well. Not because you mispelled "ALOT", but because you didn't understand my post. I get disgusted when people cannot see the difference between Motorola or Microsoft and then... Apple.
    Nobody said anything counter to your diatribe. I think everyone is just talking about a possible new device that there is interest in. I mentioned features I wish I had on mine. I am glad you got all that off of your chest, though I doubt anyone is going to want to read through all of your...information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Everyone has a weak spot. Everyone.

While I'm pretty certain you're one of those willing to drink the Apple kool-aid, this paragraph describes exactly why Apple can take a mundane device like an MP3 player, enter the market years after they were first available, and drub the competition into the dust. No one else does this as well on such a scale.

As for the rest of your post - try something a little less mind controlling than the kool-aid.
    Yeah, I should not have called them idiots. If they were idiots, they wouldn't even be able to find this forum. Sorry.
    thanks for the ***** remark..ill never read one of your 10 page posts again. good day.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"

You people are idiots.

It isn't about phones with iTunes. It isn't about 40GB super deluxe terodactyl drives. It isn't about marketing to the young and cool generation. It isn't about including the features that everybody "thinks" they want (like an SD card slot).

Apple will not be selling ANY product with an SD slot. They won't be designing their products to have the greatest number of features. They won't be designing their products with the cool kids in mind.

Sure, big firms cooperate with other big firms all the time, like the Microsoft and Palm collaboration for the release of the Treo 700w. They borrow each other’s technology to advance themselves in the market place. In the Apple/Motorola deal, Apple does slightly dilutes its iTunes/iPod product lineup, but in turn Motorola is stuck with being the guinea pig for a destined-to-fail product and paying the R&D bills for it.

Steve Jobs never intended for that Motorola ROKR phone to succeed. In his keynote he even pointed out how the phone was supposed to resume music playback after a phone call’s conclusion, but then accidentally pressed the wrong button. Did you see that presentation and his facial expression, as if to say, “What the hell... how am I supposed to figure this out. Bah! I can do better than this.” That was golden.

If Apple actually cared anything about the ROKR, they would not have upstaged it with two superior products in that very same press event. And they would never have allowed each and every detail about the product to leak over the course of the year before the release. This was not Apple's marketing style. They simply used their leaky partnership with Motorola to gauge the market to learn what would REALLY work and sell.

Apple knows that Palm and Windows Mobile falls short.

Did you know that the iPod’s sales outperform all "smartphones" combined. But, then look at the total number of "cell phones" that get sold each year...
    ..........give Apple the tiniest slice of those numbers. Yeah, they will definitely make money. An amount that will undoubtedly rival iPod sales.

This thread is like talking about your sudden realization that oxygen has been a real life saver for you. Here are a few recent events that lend credence to Apple eventually selling a phone.

Sep. 12, 2005
    "We question Apple's motive to partner with Motorola," wrote Mike Walkley, the senior wireless technologies analyst at Piper Jaffray & Co. in Minneapolis, in a note to clients last month. "If the long-term threat to iPods is a cell phone/MP3 player combo, Apple should make its own iPhone, turning the threat into an opportunity."...

...You can also look back over the last 2 years in the Treo + Mac forum and you will see additional technolgical evidence that I have previously posted on this very subject.

The exact form this phone device will take is something yet to be seen, but I say we will probably see something like a change in the form-factor of the iPod Shuffle. It will probably become a supporting device that will eventually plug into an Apple phone device. The phone will recognize it and know how to interact with it and access it's contents. You will be able to use the unique features of the two products together. Features like the Shuffles headphones for listening can of course be used while taking a call without holding the phone to your head. Then of course, if you temporarily wanted to visually see the Shuffle's contents on a screen to change around a playlist or something while on the road, you could just plug it into your phone.

You can count on Apple selling more products that rely on the iPod in the future. Just as I had talked about here on TreoCentral 2 years ago when no one believed me. The iPod Hi-Fi is one such example, supporting and integrating with the iPod.
    Attiude: F
    Class: F
    Presentation F
    Research A
    Grammer B
    Predictions B

Overall grade: C-

Keep Trying - a little Prozac wouldn't hurt either.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm betting it will sync with PC just like iPod
    Remember, the first iPods didn't...........

But I do tend to agree.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
  18.    #18  
    If by *****, you mean one of the many millions of future customers, then I'll give you a big:

Duhhhhhh..................
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    You just did. Thanks "ALOT"...
    On a side note, you hadn't actually posted yet when I read through the thread and then decided to respond. But since you think I like to share "ALOT", I've decided to throw you into the ***** bin as well. Not because you mispelled "ALOT", but because you didn't understand my post. I get disgusted when people cannot see the difference between Motorola or Microsoft and then... Apple.

You're right. I mispell a lot alot since I type on my phone a lot and often don't hit the keys very well with my big hands. But, I didn't fail to understand your post, I didn't read it all! Man, why would I? You called everyone idiots so I hope you weren't expecting a favourable response.

Yeah, that is disgusting...not seeing the difference between companies that want to cheat me out of my money then ask me for more of it. Gosh...I...I...I...don't care about what you think the difference might be.

...and I didn't actually call you an *****. I stated that you might be one. But if you prefer to be in this supposed bin with all of us, well, welcome to the party. The Kool-Aid is in the back. Have fun!
    <merged>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast