1.    #1  
    Sprint PPC 6700 questions (switch from Treo650?)
    Heya,
    I've been thinking of switching from Treo650 to Pocket PC: PPC 6700 on Sprint in New York.

I was wondering:

---how much does EV-DO cost? I currently have the regular $10 vision unlimited service with 100 text messages included. Of course, it's super slow.

---can you share the ev-do or wi-fi with a laptop? I've been looking for a better solution when traveling than paying an arm and a leg for wi-fi in airports and hotels. Sometimes I end up using the Treo with basic sprint vision and it's so slow I can't do much but basic email...

---I have a Mac, and I use Mark/Space's Missing Sync for Palm for the Treo650, if I switch to PPC-6700, can I use Missing Sync for Windows Mobile or something?

---For those who have left Treo650 for PPC, what other advantages and disadvantages do you find?

---Do you find the PPC picks up wi-fi much? Well, seems like so much wi-fi has gone to password access only now....

---The PPC seemed a little flimsy or not so sturdy as the treo when I held it, what do you think?

---How's the software selection compare from Palm to Windows Mobile?

Thanks in advance to any who answer these and more!
    clarko
    ---For those who have left Treo650 for PPC, what other advantages and disadvantages do you find?

I did. I had a 650 on cingular. I found that WM5 is much more stable than Palm OS. The main things that I miss is the great battery and one handed use.

---The PPC seemed a little flimsy or not so sturdy as the treo when I held it, what do you think?

Well it is a slider, but I did not find it any less stable than the treo closed

I would say they are about even in extra software.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    First off, you might try a couple of different threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=6700

Quote Originally Posted by clarko
    Heya,
    I've been thinking of switching from Treo650 to Pocket PC: PPC 6700 on Sprint in New York.

I was wondering:

---how much does EV-DO cost? I currently have the regular $10 vision unlimited service with 100 text messages included. Of course, it's super slow.
    I am pretty sure it's $15 a month but I have also heard $30 for 'power vision'. Not sure.

---can you share the ev-do or wi-fi with a laptop? I've been looking for a better solution when traveling than paying an arm and a leg for wi-fi in airports and hotels. Sometimes I end up using the Treo with basic sprint vision and it's so slow I can't do much but basic email...
    You can tether it...not sure what's sprints official policy is if you do it a lot.

---I have a Mac, and I use Mark/Space's Missing Sync for Palm for the Treo650, if I switch to PPC-6700, can I use Missing Sync for Windows Mobile or something?
    My first guess is you are pretty much out of luck but there might be a 3rd party app out there or a work around.

I would search for Tem's posts. I provided a link to a thread he started that was pretty helpful.

---Do you find the PPC picks up wi-fi much? Well, seems like so much wi-fi has gone to password access only now....
    This is pretty location specific.

I have played with it. It's probably never going to feel as sturdy as a unit that is all one piece like the treo. I have the 6600 and slide out the keyboard all the time. Not a problem for me on flimsiness.

At first, I thought it might be hard but I have found that I have not needed a lot of third party apps to do what I need. HobbesIsReal has some good threads about software (and WM OS). Search for them.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Heya,
    Thanks in advance to any who answer these and more!
    clarko
    I was wondering:

>>I had the Power Vision for $15 and it was great.

>>Sure, the EVDO is easy. I can't see why you would want to do the Wifi if the laptop is already on.

>>Well, you've got a mac...nuff said there..

>>This answer is long and from another thread but here goes...
    I tried the WM5 thing with the 6700 for 5 months. This after using the the Treo 600 and Treo 650 for the last few years. I was looking forward to the WiFi and EVDO speeds and really the only reason I thought I would even be able to make the switch was because of the keyboard on the 6700. I use my phone pretty much 24/7 so functionality is a big, big issue. I tried the 6700 for five months straight. I tweaked the registry as much as possible. I used all sorts of add on programs. Added Voice Dial. No matter what I did it was just not as practical as the Treo.

Besides the functionality issue, I had major issues with Active Sync. Sometimes I could sync, sometimes not. Never seemed to be a good reason for it. Then one day it stopped altogether. I followed all the threads and advice, here, over at ppcForums, PPC users and any other place I could find. That was the last straw for me.

I've been back with the Treo 650 for a week now. Got a brand new one(not refurbed) through Lockline because of the Loss of my old 650. I forgot just how functional the 650 is period, let alone one-handed use. I've got it all jacked up with my favorite programs. No resets. No stylus needed.

And don't think I'm one of those idiots who thinks that only Palm is good, or only WM is good. I go with what gets the job done, just like my politics but let's not go there.

Go with what you find fits your needs. After all that's what it comes down to, personal needs. If not we'd all have the same phone.

>>If I left it on by accident and went for a drive, I'd pick up WiFI non-stop by the boatload. And only about half of those were password protected. Not that I'd use another persons WiFi without their express permission

>>That was my first thought when I got my 6700..Cheapo..forgot how the Treo seems like a work of art in comparison.

>>I was hard pressed to not find comparable software in WM5, except for threaded chat(no big deal to me really but the end of the world to some!)
    Again, ActiveSync, actually NON-ActiveSync, is a BEEEE-YATCH. And it seemed like the most pervasive WM5 problem out there. Boatloads of folks pulling their hair out on the issue. However if you don't ever plan to sync your data, no biggie there..
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Oh yeah...

Forgot two of my favorite functions on WM5 that the Treo CAN't do:

Stream my Sirius radio. And Stream it right through my bluetooth headset(along with any thing else like books, movie, music)

Not a good enough reason to stay with WM5 for me but they were nice features.

BTW, TCMP is a great free player. It combines the functionality of Pocket Tunes and MMplayer into one.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone