1.    #1  
    Kinda OT, but how hard is it to replace the screen on a Palm Zire? My fiance has my old one and accidentally cracked the screen at work. He had it in his pocket and went around a corner and smacked the cabinet on accident. He wanted to get the screen fixed (if its cheap enough to get a replacement) but I was thinking....aren't the brand new Zire's like $99 new anyways?
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    it's probably chepaer to buy a new one, but it's not very hard, unscrew, replace, screw!
    PDA History

Treo 90 > Sony Clie SJ-20 > Tungsten E > HP Ipaq 4355 > Dell Axim X30 > Tungsten T|3 > Tungsten T|5 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Tungsten T|5 > Tungsten E|2 > Tungsten T|X > Blackberry 7250 > Treo 650 (Current)

Functional Palms
    Treo 650, T|X, and T|E2

Too Many Palms!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_Sheppard
    it's probably chepaer to buy a new one, but it's not very hard, unscrew, replace, screw!
    I have to agree with Jordan, if it were me, I'd just replace the unit since it's just a zire (assuming you mean the old white b&w one) than to replace the screen. You could get him an upgrade to the newer model with a color screen and 4x the memory for about $100 here:

http://store.palm.com/product/index....entPage=family

You can get a replacement screen for pretty cheap on ebay if you're willing to open it up and do the work yourself. It's not that hard if you're technically-inclined. Wish a replacement screen was that cheap for my Zire71, my digitizer is dying and I'm trying to hold out for the 700p

http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-Zire-M100-M...QQcmdZViewItem

I once fabricated a new battery for a palm IIIc after it died on my girlfriend at the time. She got better life with the custom battery too, just some NiMh AAA cells, delicate soldering and a bit of electrical tape. Replacing a screen is much easier; just open it up, unplug the screen from the system board and connect the new one. Don't forget to hotsync the unit before opening it up though
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the links, i'll check it out. yeah its one of the old b&w ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  5.    #5  
    wow...that replacement screen is cheap! now...if only i can find the instructions on how to replace it online *runs off and opens google*
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol
    wow...that replacement screen is cheap! now...if only i can find the instructions on how to replace it online *runs off and opens google*

The replacement is pretty straight-forward once you have the unit open.

There will be a very thin ribbon-connector between the screen and the system board with a small white connector on the end. The hardest part is separating the front and back halves w/o damaging anything. As long as you're careful and err on the side of caution while seperating the front and back, you should be just fine.

You can use your fingernail or a very small flathead screwdriver to separate the ribbon cable from the main board. Once that's done, all you do is plug in the new screen's ribbon connector and re-assemble, making sure not to pinch any ribbon cables between the case halves.
  7.    #7  
    hmm i should be able to do that
    hmm i should be able to do that

Yep, I've repaired a bunch of these. They're a lot easier than rebuilding laptops.

BTW, nice pics on your profile

If you run into any trouble, let me know.
  9.    #9  
    I went ahead and ordered the replacement (thanks for letting me know about that auction but I'm having trouble taking the outer case apart. Any suggestions?
    It probably requires a very small torx driver like most recent palms (palm went away from normal screws after the Palm III series) You can pickup the torx driver from most hardware stores for a couple of bucks. There are 2 of them at the top of the back. Once loose, you should be able to carefully separate the front from the back
  12.    #12  
    yah I see the screws now! the screen protector flap thingy (lol) was covering it up. hopefully home depot'll have the screwdriver! thanks for the pic!
    Found a better pic of the Zire taken apart at the palminfocenter review here:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/4...ndheld-review/

(pic is just before the end of the review)

notice the small plastic 'clips' on the edge of the white face, you'll need to carefully pull the edges apart, I usually use a very small flathead screwdriver covered in thin cloth to avoid scratching the device
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midknight
    Found a better pic of the Zire taken apart at the palminfocenter review here:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/4...ndheld-review/

(pic is just before the end of the review)

notice the small plastic 'clips' on the edge of the white face, you'll need to carefully pull the edges apart, I usually use a very small flathead screwdriver covered in thin cloth to avoid scratching the device
    Very cool. He built his computer, so mebe I'll just let Nathan actually do it when the screen comes in.
    Very cool. He built his computer, so mebe I'll just let Nathan actually do it when the screen comes in.
    Sounds like a plan, it's a pretty easy process. Of course, once you've opened enough electronics, it just becomes old hat