1.    #1  
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03..._unveils_ming/

This one for China only...wonder ewhat will filter over here

"The 122g handset's based on an Intel XScale PXA270 processor and it incorporates the usual email and personal information management apps you'd expect from a smart phone. There's a two megapixel camera on the back which also works as a business card scanner, Motorola said.

The main screen is a 2.4in, 240 x 320, 262,144-colour job. The phone can take MicroSD cards of up to 1GB in capacity.

The handset measures 9.6 x 5.2 x 2.2cm and incorporates a quad-band GSM/GPRS radio.

The Ming has Bluetooth on board for headsets and stereo headphones. It's also got an integrated FM receiver, though it's not clear whether it has enough of a built-in antenna to pick up transmissions without an earphone cord that doubles-up as an aerial."
    The interesting thing here is that in Asia a keyboard may actually be a liability, and good flexible hand writing recognition may be much more valuable, due to the variety of local scripts. This probably also explains the propensity of HTC to make devices with large screens and hidden keyboards (or no keyboards at all).

Surur
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think the thing that I like about Linux on a handheld is the apps that are out there for it. Now I will admit a mobile is a little different, but does anyone remember the Sharp Zarus that ran Linux it was a full bread version if I remember correctly. Being able to get a real web browser and an email client....... Thats my dream for a mobile device to get something like full Mozilla Firefox or the Linux equivilent and a full Thunderbird or Linux equivilent...... What you could do with those apps on a mobile device.... just awesome!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I've seen the Ming (live) and played around with it a little... thinking about getting one (for my 2nd phone line--not giving up my Treo!) if I can get good results from the business card scanner. I scanned a card from someone who works at Citibank, thinking that would be a good, straightforward choice--totally mangled.

I also want to test the radio--see if it'll work with standard headphones. Through an adapter (like the Treo) if need be, rather than mini-USB earbuds like Motorola offers for the SLVR and V3i. I don't like earbuds at all.

My question is this: what is a good site for Linux software for one? (Or for Motorola Linux phones in general and/or other Linux devices like the Zaurus)... If it can run (some of?) the same apps as a PC running Linux, where do I find info on apps that have been tested on it? Or that are designed for a smaller device?