1.    #1  
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060310/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

Merger to Wed BlackBerries, Phone Systems

The maker of BlackBerry e-mail devices, fresh from settling a lawsuit that threatened its very business, is buying a company that will allow it to marry BlackBerries with corporate phone systems.

"It makes your BlackBerry perform just like your desktop phone," said Jim Balsillie, co-chief executive of the company behind the BlackBerry, Research in Motion Ltd.

RIM announced Friday that it has bought Ascendent Systems, a San Jose, Calif., company that makes software for connecting cell-phones to a corporate phone switch, or PBX.

Interesting new on-board feature, as opposed to 3rd party add-on, but I think RIM might be biting off more than they can chew. The BB has its appeal mostly in email/chat on the go because they have become the dominant communication tool for the modern office. Adding office phone functionality seems like a retrofit, and I don't think they'll get that many NEW users because of it, nor do I think they are aligning themselves properly for the coming of VoIP in the office environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060310/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

Merger to Wed BlackBerries, Phone Systems

The maker of BlackBerry e-mail devices, fresh from settling a lawsuit that threatened its very business, is buying a company that will allow it to marry BlackBerries with corporate phone systems.

"It makes your BlackBerry perform just like your desktop phone," said Jim Balsillie, co-chief executive of the company behind the BlackBerry, Research in Motion Ltd.

RIM announced Friday that it has bought Ascendent Systems, a San Jose, Calif., company that makes software for connecting cell-phones to a corporate phone switch, or PBX.

Interesting new on-board feature, as opposed to 3rd party add-on, but I think RIM might be biting off more than they can chew. The BB has its appeal mostly in email/chat on the go because they have become the dominant communication tool for the modern office. Adding office phone functionality seems like a retrofit, and I don't think they'll get that many NEW users because of it, nor do I think they are aligning themselves properly for the coming of VoIP in the office environment.
    The Ascendant groupware has already been available optionally from Blackberry; they're just buying the company now. BTW, that VoIP environment is here: At one of my locales, the network cable from my notebook plugs not into a wall, but into a Cisco VoIP phone, and my voicemail is accessible on the instrument/line but also becomes a voice email message in my notebook.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.