Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I like the feature set and the way it looks (don't quite get the "character" thing or desire for an external antenna).

No 3G kinda sucks, but unless I'm in Europe or it's fully deployed in the U.S. then it shouldn't be a real hangup for a while.

In any case, this is good - a new device seems to be announced every week these days. More choices/competition make every new announcement good for all of us eventually.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Europeans hate antennas....
    I couldn't give a monkeys whether a smartphone has an antenna or not, it's the rest of it that interests me

Out of all the competitors the SE P990 is the only one which is of a suitable size, the rest look too big
    Tazuk - I agree on the size thing. I'd be willing to compromise though and go with one of the taller ones like the Loox T830 or the BenQ P51, but I'm definitely not a fan of the wider Blackberry style.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    Out of all the competitors the SE P990 is the only one which is of a suitable size, the rest look too big
    There's reasons why the big ones are bigger. All the tall ones have GPS receivers built-in, which is pretty cool. There are added advantages to the large size, primarily more space for a larger battery, larger screen (not necessarily higher rez however) and bigger, easier to use keyboards.

Compare for example the space between the keys with the Loox T830 vs SE P990.

It makes the keyboard on the P990 look more like a decoration than an actual useful addition. There is no denying that the SE P990 would make a better phone, but the Loox T830 makes a better power user device.

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    All the tall ones have GPS receivers built-in, which is pretty cool.
    True having built in GPS is nice but given the choice of having a Treo sized phone and a BT GPS receiver or having a bigger phone with built in GPS I'd go for the former

larger screen (not necessarily higher rez however)
    See I'd rather have the higher res than the larger size.

and bigger, easier to use keyboards.
    I find the Treo's keyboard fine, but I do have long thin fingers so I'm sure other people find it cramped.
    I like the Treo's keyboard too, but then again, I have thin dexterous fingers as well.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    BTW Shannon, interesting new avatar compared to the last one.
    I know. I really went from one extreme to another...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    There's reasons why the big ones are bigger. All the tall ones have GPS receivers built-in, which is pretty cool. There are added advantages to the large size, primarily more space for a larger battery, larger screen (not necessarily higher rez however) and bigger, easier to use keyboards.

Compare for example the space between the keys with the Loox T830 vs SE P990.
    The key spacing looks pretty similar to me (although the bigger keys on the 990 means the edges are closer together). The 990 also seems to have a bigger screen - much bigger if the T830 ends up having the screen seen on the pre-production models. The T830 does have a bigger battery though - 1500 mAh vs 1120 mAh.

I don't really like the physical design of either device. The T830 is too big, ugly and the screen is too small. The 990 is quite a bit better in those respects but has that silly flip thing. Sure you can remove it but then you lose the five-way and the menu buttons!
    Last edited by marcol; 03/10/2006 at 07:18 AM.
    I am excited about nokia with a bigger screen. SE p990 will be second. Benq remains a
    ??vaporware.
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12