Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just picked up an MDA at lunchtime at the T-Mobile store across the street from my office. God, I feel like a traitor to my Treo 650.

Anyway, they let me keep the $19.99/month data plan that I currently have. I didn't have to upgrade to the silly Hotspot stuff for an extra $10/month.

Pasadena, CA corporate store on South Lake Avenue at Cordova Avenue.
    Did you renew your contract? Maybe that was why, if so. Was the MDA $400 like it says on the site?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3.    #3  
    Yes, went from out of contract to signing a 12 month contract.

So far I'm really liking the MDA. Of course that's while it's still sucking all of my Outlook data (EXTREMELY SLOWLY) through a USB cable connected to my workstation and my IT guy is wrestling with ActiveSync over the air issues. Which is why I'm watching that 30 day return window very carefully.

MDA was $399 with a $50 rebate for the 1 year contract.
    <moved>
    You did not want to wait for the $99 website offer?
  5.    #5  
    I wanted to touch and feel the MDA to see if I like it and wanted an easy way to return it if necessary.

At this point I'm not going to keep it. I am sitting at my desk right now. My Treo 650 gets 3 bars of phone connectivity and never drops data. The MDA loses data and phone connectivity more than it has connection. Advantage: Treo.

I'll take it home tonight (gotta explain to the wife someone, though). I get 4 bars on the Treo there. If the MDA is dodgy there also, it's gone.

Who woulda thunk it? I'm all jazzed about the other features of the phone, and it's the basic phone functionality (can it acquire and keep a damned signal?) that is killing it for me right now.
    many people have complained about the radio's in the MDA so far
    I've been reading over on Howard Forums, and initial problems with the MDA radio are widely reported. It seems like most folks are updating their ROM's and that has been fixing the problem.

Something about what T-Mo did to lock the MDA to their network goofed up the radio....
    Careful, it's a 14-day trial period as far as I know. This was my 14th day and I gladly let it pass. I haven't lost any data or missed or dropped any calls, nor had any lock-ups or resets. Not one.

As J-Lo might say: bars don't mean a thing, unless you have only .5 or none The phone gives me fine reception in virtually all locations, no caller has complained, no calls missed and voicemail alerts me of a message seconds after it's left. It does seem to be at four bars most all the time I look.

There are five things I don't like. First, the screen is very difficult to see outdoors; if you need a screen outside a lot, you're not going to like it. Another thing that is bad on mine is the speaker. It works well and is easy to turn on and off, but it's not loud enough for outdoor use. Bluetooth works well and many will find it necessary for outdoor use. BTW, indoors it is plenty loud. Third: no cradle. I suppose that's common nowadays, but it sucks. Truly. Fourth: the stylus is about the size of a Q-tip -and that's once it's extended. On the plus side, T-Mobile does throw in an extra Q-stylus. Finally, the earphones are very weird, but you'll have to see them to see what I mean. They do include a mike so you can use the great voice tags app, the voice recorder, or Voice Command, if you buy that one.

Mail is not to Blackberry standards, but it has been very reliable. I have an every-10-minute fetch working, and I think that's going to be good enough for me. I always resisted the CrackBerry habit, so in practice, for me, it's about as good. I can see lowering the interval for occasional too-much-coffee days, but generally I don't obsess over mail. I like that my mail folders sync, especially that any mail I delete on the road will automatically get deleted in Outlook when I sync. The BB deleted them while still on the server, but this is next best -at least I don't have to delete twice.

This is a complex device and I have a lot to learn, but it's entertaining and that's part of what I'm paying for. I can see this keeping me interested for more than a year. I usually resist buying the first batch of any product, but it's been fun having people ask me how and where I got one.

I've downloaded Pocket Informant, but notice that some MS Pocket apps are now better than PI's. I'll wait to see how it plays out in the next week. Scrolling contacts, for instance, zooms in WM's app and is quite slow in PI. It's still rich, and it's the first release of a WM5 version, so this will probably improve.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  9.    #9  
    Rodolfo, thanks for the input on the MDA. Yep, the stylus is tiny.

There's a lot to like so far from what I've seen of the MDA, but this phone reception problem is a dealkiller for me. I'll keep it through the weekend but . . . I want my GSM 700w now.

Here in California we have a 30 day return window. Good for me, bad for T-Mobile.
    Where is that updated ROM post on Howard? Maybe you can try that.

I wanted to get the MDA but strangely I see better reviews for the 8125(same phone basically). I may be choosing between the Qtek 9100 and the 8125 as of now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Thanks for the in-depth review! I guess you don't have push-mail actived, and I think that also requires a ROM update. I've got one on order, but its on backorder from the Equipment Replacement folks. I will have an chance to cancel the order before they send it, but this review (and its candidness) have me hoping for the best.

By the way, I saw a cradle for the MDA. Can't remember who made it, but I'll find it again if you want to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    The ROM updaters are all over the place on HoFo. Here is a link to the MDA thread under T-Mobile:
    http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324

Here is a tips, tricks thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&highlight=rom

Here is a K-Jam thread (same phone):
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&highlight=rom

There are also 8125 threads and QTek 9100 threads......

If you think searching here is bad, its worse over there. Still you can find them if you look. I'll find more threads and post them here.

ONE DISCLAIMER-flashing your ROM on the MDA COULD void your warranty...its discussed on there, but forewarned is forearmed. I've read that folks have gone over to QTek and i-mate ROMS and have been able to go back to the T-Mo ROM without incident.

I wanted to get the MDA but strangely I see better reviews for the 8125(same phone basically). I may be choosing between the Qtek 9100 and the 8125 as of now.
    I was considering the same, but I can get the MDA from my equipment replacement folks for $100. Hard to beat that....

Incidentally, the difference between the phones is the monkeying that the various carriers are doing with the base HTC Wizard ROM's to force us consumers into using their specific programs. For instance, the Java Machine on the MDA is disabled by T-Mo so you have to use and pay for some of their stuff....
    Last edited by awinsberg; 03/08/2006 at 11:09 PM.
    You're welcome. I'll have more to say as I learn. I'll just add that I re-mapped two of the buttons right away. The Communications Manager one is now a Start Menu button for closed/vertical operation (logically nice, being right next to the Start icon on the Today screen), and the camera button is now an OK/Close button. I added a Comm Manager shortcut to my Start Menu; that's plenty handy. Also, I'm sort of serious about photography and don't have much interest in the camera. I may later, but it's real handy to push that button to quickly back out to where you were. It's like a browser back button.

And no, I haven't used the push option although I will later for use on an Exchange server. But I can wait for more more positive reports and/or the MS/T-Mobile upgrade.
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 03/09/2006 at 12:11 AM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  14.    #14  
    awinsberg, do you think that maybe some of us mere mortals could be cut in on that $100 deal?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If you like the idea of having your mail quickly, you MUST try the push mail option with an Exchange server. It really is nice. Plus, having it sync all folders is perfect. If you don't use the updated ROM it is still worthwhile, and pretty quick. With the updated ROM it is even quicker and doesn't use SMS triggers to alert your device.

In addition to it handling email much more thoroughly than the Blackberry I gave up from my other line, it syncs my Calendar, Tasks, and Contacts. If I make a change to these in Outlook on my computer or on their web interface it appears on my device within 10-40 seconds. I really like that.
    I have had this phone since October/November and have yet to get tired of it. That is a long time for me. I am even thinking about getting the T-Mobile version as a backup...I can honestly say that I expect this phone to be my main phone through the end of the year, unless there is a surprise release of something amazing (and affordable).

I actually went back to using a Treo 650 when the 9100 was being fixed for a speaker problem and it was disappointing in comparison. I liked the Treo so much last year when I had a few of them that I did not expect to dislike using it for such a short time, but I got rid of it within less than a week. The Wizard has really spoiled me...it is just so amazingly convenient.

I suggest getting the I-Mate version or the T-Mobile one though. Service on my 9100 was very slow through Qtek.
    Last edited by Silver5; 03/09/2006 at 02:18 AM.
  16.    #16  
    Silver5,

I am now going to attempt setup of the push email via my Exchange 2003 server.

I don't know much about T-Mobile, but I can say the radio on the 8125 is as good as the radio on the Moto v551; Samsung 5600; and Cingular 2125. I switched to Cingular from Sprint because the service was better out here in the hinterlands, and there is a lot of roaming (free with Cingular) that you have to endure, and the 8125 performs just as well as the other phones. I have to say "more bars" means nothing, because NONE of those phones consistently displays the same number of bars as the others.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I have to go through a VPN client installed on a "company" notebook for any remote connections with the server. Is there a VPN client on or available for the MDA or is this part of the available or expected updates? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    awinsberg, do you think that maybe some of us mere mortals could be cut in on that $100 deal?
    Sure....my Treo 600 was having some problems, so I called Asurion (equipment replacement program), and had to agree to pay my deductible ($100) when they get an actual MDA in their hands. Since its on back-order, they agreed to call me when they get a shipment to make sure I still want to the phone, and then charge me the deductible.

Sooooo, if you have the equipment replacement insurance, and want to make a claim, you might be able to get one too. I know that from the Treo 600 (and ostensibly the 650), the replacement phone is the MDA. From any other phone....I don't know what they would do.

Originally they wanted to offer me a Crackberry 7105t, but they agreed with me that the MDA is really the replacement for the Treo in T-Mo's line-up and not the 7105t.
  20.    #20  
    I bought my Treo 650 unlocked from Amazon. I'm uninsured. Too bad for me. That avenue's out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast