Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I have been going back to the Treo. I feel like when I went from WordPerfect to Word. I really understand what people mean by onehandedness for the Treo. It is so easy to use.

But Holy Crap. Wifi. I am in Carmel and I flip on the MDA and there is a network and BAM I am on. I know now what I want. A Treo with wifi and NOT that f'ing ActiveSync which is an abomination unto the Lord. Yea, verily.

There is no place finer on earth than California. The 101 northbound between Goleta and Gaviota at sunset. Ranchland and hills to the right. The sun setting over the Pacific to the left. Clouds coming in for a late winter storm. And a Treo in hand at 80 mph reading email on Chatter.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Uh...you're in the passenger seat, right?

The only thing I do with two hands on my Wizard is type. I remember when there were all kinds of reasons people gave for preferring the Treo, and I was one of those people at times, but almost all of those arguments have been worn down or trashed when they realized they weren't all that accurate. The only one left is, "I can use it with one hand." Really though, I don't think even that still works. The real difference is that the Treo there are only a very few times that you MUST touch the screen. There are almost as few with WM5.

I prefer touching the screen though, and that's why I buy touchscreen devices. I like navigating to the screen I want quickly and easily and then tapping on the program or email with my thumb...quick and easy.

But we all have preferences and that's what it's all about. The Treo now has real competition. It is certainly being outperformed now, but it does have a great form factor which will attract alot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I have been going back to the Treo. I feel like when I went from WordPerfect to Word. I really understand what people mean by onehandedness for the Treo. It is so easy to use.

But Holy Crap. Wifi. I am in Carmel and I flip on the MDA and there is a network and BAM I am on. I know now what I want. A Treo with wifi and NOT that f'ing ActiveSync which is an abomination unto the Lord. Yea, verily.

There is no place finer on earth than California. The 101 northbound between Goleta and Gaviota at sunset. Ranchland and hills to the right. The sun setting over the Pacific to the left. Clouds coming in for a late winter storm. And a Treo in hand at 80 mph reading email on Chatter.
    Best and most compelling review I've ever read on the Treo!
    Simple, subjective, and appetizing.
    I want a Worthy 800W!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I posted something similar on the GSM board.

I still have a TMobile 600 and I just bought an MDA last week at TMobile in NY (52 & Madison). Couldn't wait for TMobile to get a new Treo, but Im going to return the MDA. The phone (radio?) sucks. I can barely hear people on the phone. And I'm not sure I like WM5 its just not easy to use. I also dont like having to use 2 hands. I thought I wouldn't mind it but I missed the Treo's 1 handed form factor.

So I went into Cingular today (53 & 6th) and wanted to buy an 8125 (Im thinking of switching to Cingular becuase TMobile reception is not good). I thought maybe the phone feature on the 8125 would be better than the MDA. The Cingular rep told me delivery of the 8125 had been delayed "indefinately" so I asked about the 650.

The rep told me he had them, but told me to wait 1 month and they'll have the new 700w. I asked why he thought he was getting it (since I was a little surprised) and he said that it had been communicated to them when they were told shipments of the 8125 have been delayed. No reason to lie to me as I was ready to buy a phone.

Now I may just buy the 650 and switch to Cingular. Damn TMobile for screwing me by not getting the 650! Damn them to hell.
    You might have been fed a line. If Verizon has a 6 month exclusive for the 700w, how can Cingular get it next month? I suspect the 8125 is just sold out for now, just like the 2125 was. The reps almost never know when new shipments are coming. The 8125 is still for sale on the website.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #26  
    Trying to like the MDA, can't say it is successful.

I like wifi though.

I like the ergonomics of the Treo.

WM 5 is probably unavoidable unfortunately. Submit to the borg. I don't give a **** about OS wars. I just want the thing to work and be delightful. The Treo gives delight just as (stop me now before I start the wars) Mac seems to give delight in addition to functionality.

No, I was driving.
    I bought the MDA from a T-Mobile store the first day it was released. It took some time for me to make the decision, but it went back to the store on day 14. The functionality was all there, and I LOVED listening to my Colorado radio stations in WMA from The Mobile Stream Center (I'm in Missouri), but it was just too SLOW. I dunno, call it being on a Palm OS for too long, but a phone shouldn't have to think for 20 seconds before it decides it is ok to open the PHONE app. Just my 2 cents.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8
    I bought the MDA from a T-Mobile store the first day it was released. It took some time for me to make the decision, but it went back to the store on day 14. The functionality was all there, and I LOVED listening to my Colorado radio stations in WMA from The Mobile Stream Center (I'm in Missouri), but it was just too SLOW. I dunno, call it being on a Palm OS for too long, but a phone shouldn't have to think for 20 seconds before it decides it is ok to open the PHONE app. Just my 2 cents.
    A lot does seem to depend on what you're used to and what you like or don't like. I never used Palm before the Treo, and then I used it for >2 years; but, although the Treo may *still* be the best form factor, the problems I had with the 600 were unacceptable in large part because I never liked, or wouldn't accept the limitations of the OS. That just accentuated the dropped calls and the spontaneous reboots and the memory issues, etc. for me. If I had liked the OS, I probably would have kept going back for replacements like many here have (isn't there a guy here who says he's on his 15th 650?!?), and just been more patient waiting for and trying every next option that comes along.

By the way, for those still trying the MDA (and I presume the 8125 is the same), make sure you note that the speaker volume has its own volume setting/applet. You use the same volume control key, but you set it separately (from the notification volume, and the ringer volume, which are in the same applet), and you set the phone speaker volume *when the phone is on; i.e., after the dialing begins*. Again, it's learning something different AND appreciating or accepting or tolerating the difference, -or NOT. And if not, it probably is best to stick with what you know and like. Also, speaking of patience, the WM OS, or probably more so, the MDA processor, seems to be slow when you first turn on the device; after that, it seems plenty fast to me. I've never experienced a "20 second" wait for the phone or any app. The phone app responds as soon as I press the phone key, then I typically press the record key and say the name of the person or business to be dialed (which I've set in the built-in voice tag app.) It's maybe 5 seconds from first press to first ring-a-ding-ding.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    The Cingular rep specifically said Verizon's exclusivity was ending in mid March. I too thought is was 180 days - and this guy may well be wrong - but just reporting what he said. He also commented that the 8125 was available still on the net, but that retail distribution had been delayed.
  10.    #30  
    The MDA is going back to T-Mobile.

It got better with time and use. The first few hours of use are not a good indication of what a device is like.

I wanted true push email. That is coming when the AKU 2.0 upgrade is released. But I don't want to be flashin' no ROM, buddy. I will be back in the market for a WM5 device when AKU 2.0 is real.

Back to the 650. Now I will buy that replacement BT headset to replace the one I lost. Back to GadgetQuest.
  11.    #31  
    It went back to TMO. Now I have to get my Exchange Server to stop with the SMS triggers it keeps sending.
    Hi all - been out of country for a while and just catching up on things again...

So has anyone kept their T-Mobile MDA beyond the trial period???
    I hated it. It was SLOW, the phone sucked and the form factor was not a nice as I thought
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Hi all - been out of country for a while and just catching up on things again...

I kept mine. But I'm starting my 7th week and I'm looking forward to the 8700t. Incorregible.
  15.    #35  
    The Treo 650 went to my wife, who absolutely loves it. She is (pardon me) useless in terms of tech stuff yet within 5 minutes she had the hang of the Treo's PIM stuff and could send a text message and do all of the other normal Treo stuff. By contrast she never knew how to add anything to the phone book in her Motorola flip phone, could never send a text message with the flip phone, etc.

Meanwhile, I sat beside her on the couch clutching my *1$@F%& Blackberry 7230 (bought secondhand off Craigslist) and silently counting down the days until T-Mo introduces the 8700t.

I didn't appreciate the ease of use of the Treo 650 until my jaunt through MDA-land and into Blackberryland. Yes, WM5 had some great features in terms of connectivity to my Exchange Server.

But the care and attention paid to improving the user interface and user experience on the Treo is really apparent when you handle a unit (heh heh heh, he said "unit," Beavis) from another manufacturer. I hope Palm realizes that it has supercompetency here--the ability to take a complex machine and make it simple and fun for even a non-tech minivan mom.

On the other hand I can (and do) drop the Blackberry on the floor and I just don't care. :-)
    Believe it or not, but I have learned to like the WM5 OS as well as Palm OS. I can thank Palm for it's slow release of updated Palm OS Treos for that. But I have also fallen in love with my 650 all over again. It will now become my main phone again instead of the WM5 phone I really wanted to get last month. So I didn't get the MDA(or 8125), K-Jam or Qtek 9100 like I thought I would. The Hermes or the Atom(or both) is another story, however.

The 8700t is the T-Mobile version of 8700c, right? That is the best Blackberry yet, I agree! I heard Blackberry will introduce a 3G device also. Not too shabby for the company Treo owners like to make fun of. Good thing they finally got themselves out of that legal mess!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol

I've kept mine. I go back with Palm to the Visorphone and Treo 180 and used a Treo 600 for more than two years. Adjusting to WM5 took some time, but at the end of the day, other than the fact that submitting to MS is a little galling, I don't really get why people think the Palm OS is such hot stuff. Sure, it's easy to use, but it doesn't multitask. Maybe the MDA isn't the fastest device at opening apps, but you can leave several open at the same time without suffering a serious perfomance hit. Then, I can switch from Word to Seven e-mail to WorldMate Pro with a couple of taps and without waiting for anything to open. My main ongoing frustration is with the initial boot, which takes forever, but you know what, I just leave the phone on, and avoid it.

Mini-SD? Again, what's the big deal? So you've already got regular SD cards. You're spending $300 on a new phone and you're worried about shelling out for a new storage card?

The MDA is a bit thicker than I would like and ActiveSync s**ks compared to HotSync, but no-fuss Wi-Fi and Edge is great. AND no quality control problems, which have dogged the Treo 6xxs from the beginning.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    You like Hotsync more than ActiveSync? Hmm...I guess I just had a really bad experience with Hotsync every time I've used a Palm device. In fact, I am still having a Hotsync problem...I can't remove it from my computer! It just will not go away.

To the guy why asked who kept the MDA past the trial period:

I have! I have had my Qtek 9100 (the unlocked OEM version) since late October or early November. I even bought an actual T-Mobile version to keep as a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    You like Hotsync more than ActiveSync? Hmm...I guess I just had a really bad experience with Hotsync every time I've used a Palm device. In fact, I am still having a Hotsync problem...I can't remove it from my computer! It just will not go away.
    Bad-behaved software is definitely annoying, but I never had that problem with HotSync. I find ActiveSync much less flexible than HotSync, i.e. does not preserve a backup image of my phone installation, very clumsy in terms of moving files to the phone, hard to reconfigure what is being synced without deleting the device and re-running the wizard, etc. Admittedly, I'm still feeling my way to some extent, so maybe there are ways to do these things that I don't understand yet. And the ability to sync to two computers is nice.
    I never had problems with either one, although syncing the MDA is slower than any device I've owned using POS, PPC, WinM 5, or BB. As for moving files, it doesn't get any easier than dragging and dropping them to the memory, any folder, or the storage card on the MDA.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast